Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 11-25-2008, 07:33 AM   #1
Conan
A Ghoul

Default MMORPG Project: Gamers Wanted

Hello,

Firstly I've been browsing through the forum and didn’t see anything wrong with posting this, if there is then remove it moderators!

I'm currently gathering data for my thesis. I’m using an online survey to explore MMORPGs. If anyone has any free time could you please fill it in? It's confidential and it’s exploring the psychosocial effects of online game playing.

I want as many participants as possible. So your participation would be greatly appreciated.

The link below provides you with more details about my project;

http://ess.ntu.ac.uk/surveys/zhussain.htm

Here is the link to the survey;

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?...ydfN9iqmQ_3d_3d

Sorry for the shameless plug,

Thank you for your time.
Conan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
warriorofmight
Enhanced Imperial Golem

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Survey

Interesting questions. Submitted survey, good luck.

Oink! Reborn
warriorofmight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
Conan
A Ghoul

Thanks mate.

Warriorofmight is a great name. Do you play EQ? Is it as addictive as some gamers say?

I think it's been exaggerated and hyped to the max. What do you think?
Old 11-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
warriorofmight
Enhanced Imperial Golem

Default Everquest

Well yes and no. It used to be every bit as addictive as they say. This is personal observation and opinion mind you, but it seems that with each new expansion that comes out, the thrill and addictive nature of EQ wears off a little more.

The main part I think however is your play style. I believe that play style has everything to do with how much you enjoy the game and in some part its addictiveness.

A casual player, someone who logs on a couple times a week, maybe every day but only for a few hours, groups with guild members or even just pick up groups, I think is less inclined to become "addicted" because there is a certain lack of real thrill. To them EQ is a game.

Whereas a raider, someone who logs on 5-7 day a week, stays up for hours on raids fighting tough boss mobs or gaining access to the most current zones and gear, the ones who really feel a thrill from doing something that most can't ... that is addictive. To raiders EQ is a game yes, but it's also a commitment.

I am the former now, but I used to be the latter and I'll tell you it's the most fun I've had in this game. There's nothing like killing those big bosses and seeing loot drop that makes your stare bug eyed at the screen.

To answer your second question, I really don't know. I honestly have NEVER seen an advertisement for Everquest. The only way I even found out about it was through a friend, so I really can't say that I've noticed much hype.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Jaxxom
A Bat

links and survey look fine to me. I agree that you can post it here if you would like.

I know a few companies that use Survey Monkey so I can vouch that at least that part is legit.

good luck!

Jaxxom
Jaxxom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:16 AM   #6
Conan
A Ghoul

Hey Warriorofmight,

Thanks for the insight into EQ and great views on MMORPGs. I agree with you. Play style has a huge part to play in a person's liking for a MMORPG. i can relate with you a little in terms of the having lots of fun in-game because MMORPGs are extremely fun games for recreational purposes.

Item drops and raids are extraordinary and great experiences.

Were you a raider, guild master, officer or some other high-ranking player in EQ? Do you think EQ has a big player population? Is it true that most of EQ's developers went on to make WoW?

Does anyone have answers to some of these questions?
Old 11-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #7
warriorofmight
Enhanced Imperial Golem

Default Re:

I have been an officer in 2 casual style guilds (The Appointed and Mystic Coercion) before moving on to join a raid guild (Crimson Eternity) for 8-11 months. I rejoined Mystic Coercion and while I am no longer an officer, I am the main tank on our raids.

Player population I'm not sure about, nor about the devs.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:09 AM   #8
Conan
A Ghoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorofmight
I have been an officer in 2 casual style guilds (The Appointed and Mystic Coercion) before moving on to join a raid guild (Crimson Eternity) for 8-11 months. I rejoined Mystic Coercion and while I am no longer an officer, I am the main tank on our raids.

Player population I'm not sure about, nor about the devs.

Interesting, you must have plenty of experience in-game. People say that WoW copied many of the aspects of EQ. I haven't played EQ, do you know if this true at all?
Old 12-03-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
kudilukudzu
Premium Member

Server: povar
Send a message via ICQ to kudilukudzu Send a message via AIM to kudilukudzu Send a message via MSN to kudilukudzu Send a message via Yahoo to kudilukudzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan
Interesting, you must have plenty of experience in-game. People say that WoW copied many of the aspects of EQ. I haven't played EQ, do you know if this true at all?

honestly, most of the MMORPGs out there after EQ copied some things from it, or copied things from places that copied from EQ.
EQ was the groundbreaker, so it had a lot of say in how the community developed.
Ruritha Queenclaw, 72 Vah Shir Beastlord
Kamendae Namorlane, current trader mule

Universal Brotherhood, Povar
Lythra Amaranthus, 49 Wood Elf Druid
Kasya Earthspeaker, 35 Erudite Magician
Urasei, 14 Barbarian Shaman
Ukis, 14 Barbarian Berserker
kudilukudzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #10
Gena
A Snow Griffin

I would have to agree with Warriorofmight that play style makes a massive impact on addictivness.

I personally started in a casual family orientated Guild and have pushed myself and my toon hard to be in a Guild now that is concidered Bleeding Edge. At this point it is almost like having a second job, you feel commited to fellow Guildmates to the extent you log in and play even if you dont feel particularly great yourself.
Gena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 12:36 PM   #11
kudilukudzu
Premium Member

Server: povar
Send a message via ICQ to kudilukudzu Send a message via AIM to kudilukudzu Send a message via MSN to kudilukudzu Send a message via Yahoo to kudilukudzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena
I would have to agree with Warriorofmight that play style makes a massive impact on addictivness.

I personally started in a casual family orientated Guild and have pushed myself and my toon hard to be in a Guild now that is concidered Bleeding Edge. At this point it is almost like having a second job, you feel commited to fellow Guildmates to the extent you log in and play even if you dont feel particularly great yourself.

yes, but which is the cause and which is the effect?
There are studies (don't ask me to find them, because i wouldn't know where to start) that show that someone being likely to get addicted to something is a character trait - just how some people are cheerful, no matter what happens, without trying. My personal opinion is that those that get addicted to something like a MMORPG would get addicted to SOMETHING, regardless. I also feel that that addictive personality, in and of itself, will draw them to the more 'addicting' part of the game - IE, the 'hard-core' raider type.
kudilukudzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:46 AM   #12
myxiplx
A Weathered Clockwork

I don't necessarily agree with that, I wouldn't class myself as having an addictive personality, but I've been hooked on EQ in the past.

I think there are a lot of factors that all together make these games more addictive than things we would normally encounter:

- It starts as a game that's fun, and a brief escape from reality.
- Achievements are easy at first, progress is rapid. As you have more invested though, it gradually becomes harder work (with raiding being the extreme end of this).
- You have a long term investment in the game that you don't want to throw away, and that needs work to maintain. I can't think of any real life equivalent to this.
- Once you reach the high end game, peer pressure then comes into it, as you are raiding with 40+ other people who you don't want to let down.

Can you honestly name something else that you can work on for 4 years, that requires hours of work each week to be able to improve, and that also ties you in to a close knit community of 50+ players all striving to commit just as much time as you are?

You also have to factor in that these games are designed to be addictive, and in fact have companies behind them with considerable resources being put into keeping players interested and hooked on playing the game, with new and exciting content coming in all the time.
myxiplx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #13
Conan
A Ghoul

You've made a good point myxiplx. But some people who are into cars will probably say they spend years on their cars to improve it just like a MMO player will spend years to improve his character.

Game developers tend to be hard-core gamers. It takes a gamer to make a MMORPG, you get what I mean?

I think inidvidual differences and personality also play a huge role in how people will be affected by an MMORPG.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:07 AM   #14
Conan
A Ghoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gena

If the game feels like a second job (and many do) and you see it as a reponsibility. Then gamers in this position should play in moderation and try and see the game as just a game. Having these feelings and thought can be worrying.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #15
warriorofmight
Enhanced Imperial Golem

Default yes and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan
If the game feels like a second job (and many do) and you see it as a reponsibility. Then gamers in this position should play in moderation and try and see the game as just a game. Having these feelings and thought can be worrying.

While true it is too specific a statement for something more general. It may in fact feel like a responsibility one day. But many others it feels like a game, even though nothing's changed. It really depends on the player's mood at that point, which is quite hard to make even broad generalizations about.