Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 02:53 PM   #1
Sparxx
Featured Artist

Featured Artist
Default Legacy of Ykesha

Just FYI:

Just FYI:

I found out that there will be CD's available after the add-on goes live. Here is the link: http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categori...sp?pf_id=233050

This pissed me off to no extent, so I took it upon myself to contact online support, here is the verbage:

(Question was) My wife and I preordered the new expansion "Legacy" with the knowledge that it was for "Download Only". Now I find out that it will be available on CD for the same price. This is clearly false advertising. What will I need to do to receive my copy(s) of the CD's that I was duped into not purchasing?

You have been connected to CSR Chris J..
CSR Chris J.: It's purely downloadable
CSR Chris J.: There are no CDs for it
(Me): There are, want me to get the link for you?
CSR Chris J.: Please
(Me): One sec
(Me): http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categori...sp?pf_id=233050
(Me): It will be available after the addon goes live
CSR Chris J.: first we've heard of it
(Me): This is fradjulant as I purchased it under the pretence that it was download only.
(Me): I would have waited to get the cd
CSR Chris J.: As far as we've known it is downloadable only.
CSR Chris J.: This is honestly the first I've heard of a cd.
(Me): I will hold while you get the information. You have the link to show whoever you need to show
CSR Chris J.: If you want to cancel the order you can sign into your account on station.com and cancel it from your account page
CSR Chris J.: It's a holidy
CSR Chris J.: No one is here
(Me): Then I expect a call tomorrow concerning this, this is false advertisment and subject to fines. My number is XXX.XXX.XXXX I can be reached 24hrs a day. I will expect a call tomorrow
CSR Chris J.: Like I said, you can cancel the order
(Me): That is not my problem, it is Sony's. False advertisment is a serious thing. They need to fix this. I will be expecting a call tomorrow
CSR Chris J.: Ok, you can cancel the order if you want to buy it on a cd
CSR Chris J.: That's fine.
CSR Chris J.: Cancelling the order wont' affect your account or anything else in anyway, then you can buy it in the store
(Me): No, what I expect is CD's to be delivered to me when the are in shipping. Otherwise I know of about 300 people who will be more than willing to be participants in a class action law-suit
(Me): I expect a call tomorrow, it is obvious you cannot deal with this issue.
CSR Chris J.: Ok Sam, Thank you for visiting our SOE Chat line. Take care and have a Good Day!

The only reason they did it this way was to save their sorry butts some of the costs of manufacturing and shipping. I am quite pissed off.

And before you flame me:

Not all of us can afford the luxury of owning a Credit card. My wife and I use Game Cards. In the first place it is discriminatory to say "Credit Card Only".

So I paid a friend cash to order it on his card with the only knowledge that it was going to be download only. Now to find out that it will be on CD. That is pure false advertisment. This was by no accident that they did it this way. If we the paying players of EQ do not stop them from pulling this crap, there is no telling what they will try to pull next.

I am not alone in this complaint. There are many that did the same thing My wife and I did.
Sparxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 03:02 PM   #2
Dolby
Lord Dolby of Veeshan

Server: Veeshan

Quote:
(Me): Then I expect a call tomorrow concerning this, this is false advertisment and subject to fines. My number is XXX.XXX.XXXX I can be reached 24hrs a day. I will expect a call tomorrow
CSR Chris J.: Like I said, you can cancel the order
(Me): That is not my problem, it is Sony's. False advertisment is a serious thing. They need to fix this. I will be expecting a call tomorrow

Uhh mistakes happen in large co.
I'm sure some one in the co. made a deal with a few vendors and havent talked to there boss or somthing. It would take way more effort to plan this for the purpose of screwing people over. Its the mistakes that a large co. makes with communication problems. You too will understand this if you worked for a large company. I worked for Bestbuy while I was going to college and you should see the mistakes they made.

I really hate it when people throw around the false advertise word becuase there is nothing you can do about it other then report them. You can not personaly sue them. Heck I dont even think its false advertiseing. Do the laws of false advertisement apply on the internet? I havent looked at them but I really doubt they do. However you are entitled to your opinion and I am to mine.

Also when you signed up for the download version it said you could cancel your order at any time up until the release date. What else do you want them to do? They can refund your money.

I dont normaly side with the large co. but this time they seem in the right here.

Just take a deep breath and calm down and play some EQ

Last edited by Dolby : 01-20-2003 at 03:16 PM.
Dolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 03:35 PM   #3
Heals Data
A Treant

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Re: Legacy of Ykesha

Quote:
Originally posted by Sparxx
Now I find out that it will be available on CD for the same price.

I'm sure you did read the page you are linking to, right? You know, the page where it says:

"The ship date and price are subject to change and have not been confirmed by the manufacturer."

So, it looks like to me that EB games has assumed that there is going to be a CD version of this expansion, picked a random price (which is more then the pre-order price btw, $18.99 as opposed to $17.99 that I just paid Sony, so not the same price) and picked a random release date. The release date has changed since the first time I visited that EB games page, just this weekend.

Before you randomly threaten lawsuits, perhaps you should understand that the people who run companies are people too. Personally, I think the downloadable expansion billed to my credit card is a great idea, I don't have to do anything to get new content and I'm happy Sony made this decision.

If they do decide to make it available on CD as well, it will because enough of their customer's e-mailed them with concerns similar to yours, that they do not have a credit card and CDs are better for them. That being said, if it does come out on CD, it is because they are doing what the customer's asked for, not trying to screw anyone over. If it does come out on CD, I'm sure the price different will definately be more then $1, because it will cost much more then that to create box and CD art, have boxes printed and cut, the CD media created, shipping, etc.

I assure you that your response to this situation was explosive and you were surely going to get no where with that conversation.

What you should have done and will end up doing is waiting until more then one web site has the product offered at a definate price, or until Sony announces it will be available on CD, to take your stance. If it is officially released on CD for $17.99, then yes, you have reason to be upset.

Until then, you're just that kid from American Pie, getting too excited, too soon.

Heals Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 03:37 PM   #4
Darmak
A Ghoul

I've already pre-ordered teh expansion, and later found out that Electronics Boutique(sp?) is selling it on a cd. While I COULD cancel my order and buy it from EB, I'm a bit lazy and will probably just download the files and put them on my own cd. Just a matter of preference I guess, heheh.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Darmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 04:08 PM   #5
Retnaburn
A Gray Wolf

Server: Stormhammer

SoE lied about Legends, no reason why they can't lie about this too.

Alla commented about the LoY situation on the 18th at this link http://everquest.allakhazam.com/

65 Human Warrior
Stormhammer
Retnaburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 04:50 PM   #6
Caleal
Enhanced Imperial Golem

Heh, Sparxx, not to flame you or anything, but your whole tone from the start was amazingly confrontational. Threatening a class action lawsuit is childish and ultimatly meaningless, I'm suprised he didn't just disconnect you sooner than he did, I would have. I'm sure glad Im not in the CS buisness. =)

Chances are, the EB preorder is just them wanting to get a jump on things and they didn't realize it was gona be download only. They had the preorder up before the patch that announced the expansion.....
Shadowed Soul
Caleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 04:59 PM   #7
kasca
A Lost Soul

Server: the rathe
Send a message via ICQ to kasca

More vert BS. Not everyone has a fast down load eather. This is just there yanking our chains. Class action man i jump on it. They do everything to lie to use. EQ2 everything we promised you in EQ but desided we could make more $$ from us.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:25 PM   #8
haijak
A Treant

Were I on the other side of your call i would have explained to you how EB online had a preoradable version of the everdelayed game Unreal on their site for more than 2 Years!

They even included an available date that the title would be shipped that was constantly changing when the Official date from Epic was "when it was finished". Epic sent out an official Notice as to EB's confusion

Also i do a lot of graphic work and took close look a look at their picture of the box. Im no professional Graphics guru but i think it's a fake. <loybigbox.jpg >

The Rating and SOE Logos are square. If they were printed on the actual box they wouldn't be, they would follow the taper at the bottom of the box. But they don't
haijak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 05:55 PM   #9
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony

Quote:
Originally posted by haijak
Were I on the other side of your call i would have explained to you how EB online had a preoradable version of the everdelayed game Unreal on their site for more than 2 Years!

They even included an available date that the title would be shipped that was constantly changing when the Official date from Epic was "when it was finished". Epic sent out an official Notice as to EB's confusion

Also i do a lot of graphic work and took close look a look at their picture of the box. Im no professional Graphics guru but i think it's a fake. <loybigbox.jpg >

The Rating and SOE Logos are square. If they were printed on the actual box they wouldn't be, they would follow the taper at the bottom of the box. But they don't

Hijak is correct.. that box is nothing more than a Mock-Up that EB made,

EB is counting on SOE to release a disc and are trying to pull in the early sales..

Hammerfel who is the director of web presence at SOE has told Us all directly this is a DOWNLOAD ONLY.. Its not a full size expansion, it only had a few zones, but a lot of features people want, and have been asking for.. Sooo before you sue SOE, why dont you go after EB, cuz I guarantee you that if there WAS going to be a disk availble... SOE would have it for presale LONG before EB did...

.: Have a question? Read this :.
[ F.A.Q ]

Last edited by Kudane : 01-21-2003 at 01:38 PM.
Kudane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 06:35 PM   #10
Xzoltar
A Hill Giant

Server: Karana

Here it what im thinking about this. The cd will maybe be avalaible as a means of getting money for a site that will sell the downloadable version and put in on a cd with the register key. The same way as some people on the net was selling PoP cd key before the expension was available, so this will probably be illegal as selling account and/or platinum...

For myself what I want to know, its if I have to format my hardrive, will when I reinstall EQ the patch will detect I have the expension on and download the files for me again, as I dont want to buy the expension 10 time because I format 9 time !

Gratz to SoE for this online only patch. Still waiting for EQ2 ( even when I know lot of things that come from DAoC and other games that I dont like that will have in EQ2 )
Xzoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 06:44 PM   #11
Dolby
Lord Dolby of Veeshan

Server: Veeshan

Quote:
Originally posted by Caleal
Heh, Sparxx, not to flame you or anything, but your whole tone from the start was amazingly confrontational. Threatening a class action lawsuit is childish and ultimatly meaningless, I'm suprised he didn't just disconnect you sooner than he did, I would have. I'm sure glad Im not in the CS buisness. =)

/agree
Dolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 07:08 PM   #12
Caleal
Enhanced Imperial Golem

OMG!

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categori...word=Shadowbane

Everyone go preorder SHADOWBANE!

/sarcasm

I wonder if Ubisoft will deliver by the increadible creaping "ship date"? I think I first saw Shadowbane preorders on EB ummm, over a year ago....maybe 2....
Caleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 07:13 PM   #13
vampdragon
A Gray Wolf

I agree that I think that if someone is going to go after anyone here, it should be EB as they are probably not working with Sony on this, and just trying to get sales.

I as well, think that this is great that they are doing this as a Downloadable expansion. It will probably be small, and from the patch, you will probably start getting files soon in small parts instead of the whole at once.

But, on the other hand, I do feel for the users who are on dial up, as it may take 6 to 7 hours to download the expansion. When Luclin first came out.. and several months later when I had to rebuild, it was 10 hours of patch time on Dial up, compared to 15 minutes on Cable.

I think that Sony should offer a option that a CD be mailed to them. No manual, no box, just a sleeve and CD for those on dial up connections that do not want to spend that much time on a download.

As to what will happen if you rebuild and need to down load it again? I would guess it will work like the Jagged Pine and Stonebrunt mountains. You will probably have to go into the Advanced settings on the patch, check mark it and click on download. It will probably then verify with the account if you have rights to those files, and if you do, down load it for you.

All guessing, but would be what I would do.

I'm sure you can purchase the expansion by other means than Credit Card, though the Sony web site. I think Credit Card only is if you Pre-Order though the Server Screen during log in, as it checks to verify you have a active account.
vampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 07:33 PM   #14
ArcLite
A Crystal Gargoyle

Server: X

You need to chill in my humble opinion.
Of course you could sue them for silly thing like this but then it just makes things more difficult for everyone else and in the end it's the customers who pay for it. You sue them, they pay (provided you win) and they raise prices for their products.

Big companies make errors. Because of being sued left and right they have such elborate systems for getting this advertised and such some guy making a website or typing up an announcement falls through the cracks.
I just went over the legendofykesha.com website and I don't see anything there that says explicitly that it is "download only". they said it would be downloadable.

Oh and btw. I don't have the "luxury of owning a Credit card". I have a checking card (Debit card). Fortunately, the card works much like a credit card. Maybe before you freak out you should see if your bank (If you use a bank) offers debit cards.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Arc
ArcLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:03 PM   #15
kabbus
A Snow Cougar

Actually this IS false advertising on Verants part. They obviously knew this was going to be in stores, otherwise how else would EBGames have a picture of a boxed version? I doubt they drew it themself.

But I guess its not any different than everything Verant does, they plead ignorance on everything... "working as intended".

Fortunetly people should be able to cancel orders without being charged... or at least that is what they say.
kabbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread