User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 08:16 PM   #16
kabbus
A Snow Cougar

Quote:
Originally posted by haijak
Were I on the other side of your call i would have explained to you how EB online had a preoradable version of the everdelayed game Unreal on their site for more than 2 Years!

They even included an available date that the title would be shipped that was constantly changing when the Official date from Epic was "when it was finished". Epic sent out an official Notice as to EB's confusion

Also i do a lot of graphic work and took close look a look at their picture of the box. Im no professional Graphics guru but i think it's a fake. <loybigbox.jpg >

The Rating and SOE Logos are square. If they were printed on the actual box they wouldn't be, they would follow the taper at the bottom of the box. But they don't

Comparing a game that was actually *delayed* is not the same thing as this. That is not EBGames fault.

As for the graphic, it most likely is just one of the graphics Verant already made since the box hasn't come out yet. It does say for illustration purposes only.
kabbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 08:50 PM   #17
Luminea
A Snow Griffin

Server: Rathe
Send a message via ICQ to Luminea Send a message via AIM to Luminea

Found this on the ykesha site...
some mistake on one of the sides..can't say whether on eb or sonys =\

5) How does this download-only thing work?

This extension will only be available as a product download. There will be no box to buy in the stores, so all of the data needs to be downloaded from our servers. You will be able to incrementally download the files for the extension before the release date. We will make these files available for download during the EverQuest login procedure. Downloading the files gradually prior to the launch of the extension will minimize the size of your patch on launch day.

If you purchase the extension after launch day, you will need to download all of the extension files (we estimate it will be about 120 megabytes). Purchasing the extension after launch will cause your account to be flagged and you will be able to download The Legacy of Ykesha extension files immediately.

And from ebgames.com

$18.99
Pre-Order: Ships on 02/28/2003
Limit: 3 per person.

To order by phone, call 1-877-432-9675

personally to me it doesn't matter either way if there happens to be a cd or one of the companies got mixed up or whatever..but i do agree alot of conflicting information on either side.

Last edited by Luminea : 01-20-2003 at 08:56 PM.
Luminea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 09:05 PM   #18
Dolby
Lord Dolby of Veeshan

Server: Veeshan

Quote:
Originally posted by kabbus
Actually this IS false advertising on Verants part. They obviously knew this was going to be in stores, otherwise how else would EBGames have a picture of a boxed version? I doubt they drew it themself.

Good thing Verant did it cause they are not liable for anything any more. Verant is no more... gone... vansihed... They are now know as Sony Online Entertainment (SoE). They dropped the name verant all together on the release of PoP.

Personaly I think EB Made the box picture them self. They do for alot of games. Why wouldnt they for this? This way they could get a jump on there competitors.

Quote:
Originally posted by ArcLite
You need to chill in my humble opinion.
Of course you could sue them for silly thing like this but then it just makes things more difficult for everyone else and in the end it's the customers who pay for it. You sue them, they pay (provided you win) and they raise prices for their products.

I'm no legal expert but my understanding is that you cant really sue companys for false advertiseing... only report them. Even if you can sue them sony has alot more lawers and money then you do. Also again can you get in trouble for false claims on the internet? There are millions of companys that make false claims on there webpages.

Last edited by Dolby : 01-20-2003 at 09:10 PM.
Dolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2003, 11:07 PM   #19
wildtiger
A Ghoul

Server: E'CI

well i am no genius on these matters and i pre ordered it so i can just download it but i think some more careful thought should be excersized before doing your class action lawsuit. yeah you win get some money from them they will just up the price to play the game and get their money back. seen that happen with an insurance company. lady sued them for mold dmg and won so they ended up droping coverages and raising prices to everyone else.

just my 2 cents worth of worthless thought
wildtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 12:46 AM   #20
WytchKat
A Bat

Server: Veeshan
Send a message via ICQ to WytchKat Send a message via AIM to WytchKat Send a message via Yahoo to WytchKat

Well honestly I also play using a game card.. as I do not trust myself with a credit card.. and we also don't have the nice debit cards that can be used as credit cards. So I was sorta hoping the CD version was genuine! Oh well, I have friends with Credit Cards and have already arranged and it is preordered now. I do think that SoE should offer either an alternate method of payment (Maybe it would cost one month of a EQ card??) or release a cd version at some point.. good marketing.. As for the class action lawsuit, it's a headache waiting to happen. I cannot tell you how many times I myself hear "I'm gonna sure you!". I work in the CSR industry and do Market Research. Unfortunately unless you are aware of the laws, it is basically pointless to "Think" you can sue anyone.. because I assure you there are ways around many of the laws.

Sorry, I ramble alot.
Wytch
WytchKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 01:20 AM   #21
Caleal
Enhanced Imperial Golem

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
Actually this IS false advertising on Verants part. They obviously knew this was going to be in stores, otherwise how else would EBGames have a picture of a boxed version? I doubt they drew it themself.

The box on EBGames is fake, they do it all the time. It would take someone simi familiar with Photoshop less than 5 min to make that picture.

EBGames does this for every game, always a fake box picture on the deal for the preorder, they insert the real box picture when it is available.

People need to get over the "OMG! Its on the internet, with a picture and all, so it must be true!" syndrom.
Shadowed Soul
Caleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 03:24 AM   #22
tadashya
Pixel Pusher

Server: erollisi marr
Send a message via ICQ to tadashya Send a message via AIM to tadashya

Quote:
It would take someone simi familiar with Photoshop less than 5 min to make that picture

More like 20... but at least they could have gotten all the perspective lines on the box properly

Original Artwork by Tadashya my current favorite sig slice
tadashya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 05:04 AM   #23
Caleal
Enhanced Imperial Golem

Quote:
Originally posted by tadashya
More like 20... but at least they could have gotten all the perspective lines on the box properly

I'm reasonably sure that someone at EB has a blank box model ready for them to wrap whatever image they want around it. At least from the looks of ones I have seen before, and this one.
The fake box in this case uses an image directly off the web site for the new expansion, heh.
Caleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 01:36 PM   #24
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony

Quote:

But I guess its not any different than everything Verant does, they plead ignorance on everything... "working as intended".

Fortunetly people should be able to cancel orders without being charged... or at least that is what they say.

Kabbus that is NOT box art, I use to work for Interplay games, and we made those mockups (but better) all the time. months before the game was released so it could be presold on the website..

SOE has said REPEATEDLY this is a download only.. EB made that box art from the picture on the webiste. and simply added the logos you would see on the box (soe, Teen rating, etc) I could the same in about 30 mins..

sooo untill SOE post on it's site that they have decided to release a disk... DON'T BELIEVE IT

/bow

.: Have a question? Read this :.
[ F.A.Q ]
Kudane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 01:43 PM   #25
ArcLite
A Crystal Gargoyle

Server: X

Just for informational purposes....

SoE's announcement

Hope that's informational for everyone.

Arc
ArcLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 01:45 PM   #26
Kudane
Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by ArcLite
Just for informational purposes....

SoE's announcement

Hope that's informational for everyone.

Arc

Well Still not an SOE site, though Baelish is more reliable than EB, I have sent this link to Hammerfel, and asked him to read it over. We can wait and see if he has time to make a comment.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:01 PM   #27
kabbus
A Snow Cougar

Well I don't mean to be so hateful in my posts, and I admit to having a strong biased against anything Verant does... due to many reasons I won't go into.

In my eyes they have always lied about things(or misled). And the post on Casters Realm is just proof of it again.

Baelish has no reason to be making it up. And the VP of marketing is more likely to know whats going on than anyone else for product sales.

Personally though I guess I don't really care either way.
kabbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 02:05 PM   #28
Kudane
Co-Founder

Quote:
Well I don't mean to be so hateful in my posts, and I admit to having a strong biased against anything Verant does... due to many reasons I won't go into.

In my eyes they have always lied about things(or misled). And the post on Casters Realm is just proof of it again.

Baelish has no reason to be making it up. And the VP of marketing is more likely to know whats going on than anyone else for product sales.

Personally though I guess I don't really care either way.

One thing you should realize... Varent is NO MORE... what was varent has been absorbed into Sony Online Entertainment..

now that not to say that some of the stuff that happened under VI wont happen under SOE,

But "the vision" that was the basis for something never being changed has mostly been scrapped for more important things such as Customer Satisfaction.

BUT not all customers will be satified at the same time.

sooo give them a chance.. and to reply to the whole "lying" thing.

It is understandable that SOE has intentions for this to be Download only, but when several thousands of people write in concerned that they are on dial up, they may reconsider and release some sort of disk.. but i guarantee you.. the DL will be cheaper and availble the day it goes live.. no guarantees with disk being shipped.

/bow
Old 01-21-2003, 03:27 PM   #29
ArcLite
A Crystal Gargoyle

Server: X

EBGames.com is not the only one advertising, Gamestop has it as well.

Arc
ArcLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 03:29 PM   #30
grottel
Grimling Code Editor

Server: Xev

anyone want to DL the files, burn me a CD and mail it to me? 56 Dialup a 120mb DL would take...um...I AINT GONNA DO IT.
grottel is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread