Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Interface Gallery Discussion > Released
User Name
Password

Old 09-22-2007, 01:16 PM   #451
wraith098
A Snow Griffin

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Tks for the tip. I dunno why I didn't think of doing that in the first place. lol
wraith098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:48 PM   #452
seaxouri
A Hill Giant

I posted a v2.3.0 which should work fine with the 9/5/2007 patch. You will need to update your UI_Character_Server.ini file as instructed in the readme.

I added in the option of resuming the use of the old casting bars. Note how it breaks the Inventory window and the chat windows in the 'Old Window Pieces' screenshot.

http://www.eqinterface.com/download...nfo.php?id=5460

I have included below a screenshot comparision of the different casting bars.

The left is using the 'old window pieces'.
The middle is using 'no window pieces' or 'none', which means we use the default window pieces, including the compass, etc.
The right side is the 'new window pieces' which is a modified mix of the old and the new.

Note how the New setting is slightly brighter than the None setting.
The Old setting makes a lot of windows look ugly and breaks things. Not worth it to me to keep those old casting bars. You might notice the Old window pieces also lose the 'combat status' icon normally in the group window.
Attached Images
File Type: gif cbars.GIF (45.9 KB, 71 views)
seaxouri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:05 PM   #453
Rreckr
A Ghoul

Default Hotbutton bar 3 & 4

I use the hotbutton bar 3 & 4 but for some reason they do not match the screenshot anymore. Right now they are vertical and one of them is adjustable. Is anyone else having this problem or know how to work around.
Rreckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:05 PM   #454
seaxouri
A Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rreckr
I use the hotbutton bar 3 & 4 but for some reason they do not match the screenshot anymore. Right now they are vertical and one of them is adjustable. Is anyone else having this problem or know how to work around.

What screenshot? HB3 and 4 are not used in Quartz. If you are using them its not part of Quartz, but the default UI that is showing them (ie: they would appear broken even in default mode).

Was this problem in v2.3.0 or some other version?

I'll look at v2.3.0 tonite and see what HB 3/4 look like. If they are broken I will see if I can find a workaround.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:51 PM   #455
jbold21
A Fire Beetle

I'm having problems with my buff windows. They are horizontal and the name apprears on the far left, and the buff icon on the far right of the window. Is there a file I need to remove or change to make then go vertical and get the buff name and icon next to each other?? Please help! Other than that, this UI rocks!
jbold21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:02 PM   #456
Rreckr
A Ghoul

Yes I realized later that the release notes say something about hotbar 3 & 4 not used in this version, sorry for the trouble. But maybe in the future it would be nice to use the #3 & 4 hotbar that I have seen in other versions of quartz
Rreckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:21 AM   #457
seaxouri
A Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbold21
I'm having problems with my buff windows. They are horizontal and the name apprears on the far left, and the buff icon on the far right of the window. Is there a file I need to remove or change to make then go vertical and get the buff name and icon next to each other?? Please help! Other than that, this UI rocks!

I dont think you followed the instructions for installing this. Please read the instructions that are under the 2.3.0 release and also in the README.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:25 PM   #458
seaxouri
A Hill Giant

I checked HB 3/4. They are as they always have been. Vertical and the default UI flavor. Not sure why one is adjustable for you... Quartz does not have any XML code for those windows at all.

The other Quartz packages are not really Quartz, but Quartz spinoffs done by other folks. They don't really even look like Quartz anymore so its a little disappointing that they 'borrowed' the name. I know Hal did a lot of work to keep things up to date, but to copy 80% of someone elses work, change 20% to what you want, then name it Quartz BlahBlah, then release it in its own release area seems wrong to me. It was also wrong for her to claim that 'noone was working on Quartz' when clearly there has been (mines been working solid for the last 4 years).

Someone might say "but you changed the casting bars". Well, no, I didn't really. I have no skill with computer graphics, just programming (ie: xml). The old casting bars were in the old window_pieces01.tga file, which was drastically updated. I have no skill in creating a hybrid tga file that has some old/some new window stuff, and using the old file just caused the whoe UI to look broken. If someone wants to fix the tga files, that would be great.

Its a piece of cake to make the xml for HB3/4 to look like HB1/2. There is a problem with that, tho.
1) No place to put the windows without messing up the UI like the spinoffs did
2) People that like the HB3/4 like they are will be poed if we force them to look like HB1/2.
3) Do you make HB3 look like HB1 and HB4 look like HB2 or both HB3/4 look like HB2? Thats what the spinoff did. Again, here the problem is that there is no place for it in the UI without damaging the existing UI.

Probably the right answer is to find a place in the 'freespace' of the UI for the new HBs and design them into Quartz so it has the correct look and feel of Quartz. However this would require assistance with graphics. I can do the xml part, just not the graphics part.

Last edited by seaxouri : 09-28-2007 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #459
Getti Lee
An Icepaw Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaxouri
I checked HB 3/4. They are as they always have been. Vertical and the default UI flavor. Not sure why one is adjustable for you... Quartz does not have any XML code for those windows at all.

The other Quartz packages are not really Quartz, but Quartz spinoffs done by other folks. They don't really even look like Quartz anymore so its a little disappointing that they 'borrowed' the name. I know Hal did a lot of work to keep things up to date, but to copy 80% of someone elses work, change 20% to what you want, then name it Quartz BlahBlah, then release it in its own release area seems wrong to me. It was also wrong for her to claim that 'noone was working on Quartz' when clearly there has been (mines been working solid for the last 4 years).

Someone might say "but you changed the casting bars". Well, no, I didn't really. I have no skill with computer graphics, just programming (ie: xml). The old casting bars were in the old window_pieces01.tga file, which was drastically updated. I have no skill in creating a hybrid tga file that has some old/some new window stuff, and using the old file just caused the whoe UI to look broken. If someone wants to fix the tga files, that would be great.

Its a piece of cake to make the xml for HB3/4 to look like HB1/2. There is a problem with that, tho.
2) People that like the HB3/4 like they are will be poed if we force them to look like HB1/2.
3) Do you make HB3 look like HB1 and HB4 look like HB2 or both HB3/4 look like HB2? Thats what the spinoff did. Again, here the problem is that there is no place for it in the UI without damaging the existing UI.

Probably the right answer is to find a place in the 'freespace' of the UI for the new HBs and design them into Quartz so it has the correct look and feel of Quartz. However this would require assistance with graphics. I can do the xml part, just not the graphics part.

you know how many versions of delta or vert ui's there are? hal's quartz was the only one i found that was being updated that i liked, and he has pretty much maintained all of the original windows with the exception of some that people haven't requested anymore. he's also working on improvements (just like darksir did and staticx) that folks suggest. its not named the same quartz, its quartz redux or quartz redux leather.
Getti Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:58 PM   #460
DarkSir23
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Rathe
Featured Artist

Quote:

Those are exactly the reasons I never included HB3 and 4, but it wouldn't be hard to add.
Destron Darkharmony
Quartz Interface
Order of the Onyx Dragon - Rathe Server
DarkSir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 10:20 AM   #461
seaxouri
A Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getti Lee
hal's quartz was the only one i found that was being updated that i liked

Great. I'm glad you found a UI that you like.

However,
1) This Quartz has been updated all along. If you didn't see the updates that doesn't mean they were not available. You just didn't find them. Noone can make the claim that this Quartz was not being updated, because it certainly was. If you crawl back thru the forums here you will find many folks have contributed to the upkeep of Quartz. Many thanks to all of you who worked to help keep Quartz alive over the years. Your efforts are noticed and appreciated.

2) Quartz RL is a spinoff of Quartz Redux, which is a spinoff of Quartz. Both QRL and QR are owned by Hal. Kudos to Hal for making new UIs that folks like. I don't have any problems with that. In my opinion, Quartz and Quartz Redux look nothing alike. The mere fact that the buff windows were totally abandoned for someone else's buff windows (totally unrelated to Quartz) simply because he 'liked them better' was enough to keep me away from QR. I prefer to try and keep the original UI as exact as I can since I started playing.

I would have preferred that Hal chose the course of making Quartz Redux an option for users, but using his skills to help keep the mainstream Quartz running.

Last edited by seaxouri : 10-02-2007 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:03 AM   #462
Getti Lee
An Icepaw Kobold

Quote:
Great. I'm glad you found a UI that you like.

However,
1) This Quartz has been updated all along. If you didn't see the updates that doesn't mean they were not available. You just didn't find them. Noone can make the claim that this Quartz was not being updated, because it certainly was. If you crawl back thru the forums here you will find many folks have contributed to the upkeep of Quartz. Many thanks to all of you who worked to help keep Quartz alive over the years. Your efforts are noticed and appreciated.

2) Quartz RL is a spinoff of Quartz Redux, which is a spinoff of Quartz. Both QRL and QR are owned by Hal. Kudos to Hal for making new UIs that folks like. I don't have any problems with that. In my opinion, Quartz and Quartz Redux look nothing alike. The mere fact that the buff windows were totally abandoned for someone else's buff windows (totally unrelated to Quartz) simply because he 'liked them better' was enough to keep me away from QR. I prefer to try and keep the original UI as exact as I can since I started playing.

I would have preferred that Hal chose the course of making Quartz Redux an option for users, but using his skills to help keep the mainstream Quartz running.

umm i'm not sure where you are coming from. hal's quartz variations are done the same way darksirs were. the original mods were included in sub folders, making it interchangable. the same layout for player window, spell window, group window, hotkeys, combat window...

ok so the buff window isn't the same and the chat windows are different..that makes it a completely new ui? i don't think so, its still a spin off of quartz, just like yours. you abandoned the original quartz borders/trim in yours, does that make it completely new? no

i'm not trying to argue or start a arguement, i just don't see how you figure that one spinoff deserves having quartz in the name and another doesn't when its very minor the differences and how the suggestions/improvements are done in the same way quartz has been done over the years.
Getti Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 08:45 PM   #463
seaxouri
A Hill Giant

Quote:
you abandoned the original quartz borders/trim in yours, does that make it completely new? no

No I didn't. I include the old window pieces. As I stated, I have XML skills, but no graphics skills. If someone who had the proper skills would have helped me, I could have kept the old trim/window pieces looking good.

My work is not a spinoff, because I don't claim to own a new interface. Rather I am merely another person trying to help keep Quartz alive. Just like my inclusion of the Amethyst layout, even though I don't use the Quartz Layout, I spent a lot of time making sure the default Layout was correct and functional, even though I don't personally use it. If it were a spinoff, I would have made my own release called Quartz-Amethyst, ignore support for anything non-Amethyst, and let the original Quartz project continue a slow death.

If someone were to figure out how to fix the old window pieces I would gladly spin a new release that had the updates in them. Thats the difference.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:55 PM   #464
DarkSir23
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Rathe
Featured Artist
Default Quartz 2.3 and beyond

I should have done this a while ago, but I really thought my schedule was going to free itself up. I've requested that seaxouri be given access to post official Quartz updates, and hopefully, that access will be granted.

I'm officially turning over development, as I don't have the time to put into it, and seaxouri has done a great job of keeping the UI usable.

I will still be around, and have offered to help with any graphic issues that need addressed.

I'd like to thank you all for the support that you've shown, when I was able to update Quartz. I look forward to seeing the project continue, and I can't wait to be in a position to contribute again.

Again, thank you all.
DarkSir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:16 PM   #465
qwikening
A Bat

Default Quartz update?

Just got back into the game after 9 months off or so...Reinstalled all my old usuals only to see a new expansion come out and I'm sure it's going to effect the UI...Is there anyone still working on Quartz? It's the best damned UI I ever seen.
qwikening is offline   Reply With Quote