Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > General authoring help / discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12-27-2002, 04:07 AM   #1
Volante
A Fire Beetle

Default Windows ignoring x/y coords

I've been playing around with a mishmash of UI stuff, mostly self made, and I always had problems getting the windows to stick in the right spots, x/y wise. I used to just let the INI file define where they went but this meant every time there was a patch and I had to reload my UI I would have to make sure I backed up my INI file.

This is getting rather annoying, so I'm trying to get the X/Y coords working in the XML files but I can't get them to work right.

I'm currently having this problem with CompassWnd, GroupWindow, PlayerWindow and TargetWindow.

No specific details on the latter 3, but the compass jumps at <Y>240</Y> (which looks to be right) to <Y>241</Y> which appears to be down by Y=600. (Resolution 1024x768)

If you've an idea what might be causing this I'd appreciate it. Don't even know where to start looking.

Only part of CompassWnd I've modified by the way are the Location X/Y parts.

Only files i've modified are:
EQUI_BazaarSearchWnd.xml
EQUI_BuffWindow.xml
EQUI_CastSpellWnd.xml
EQUI_ChatWindow.xml
EQUI_CompassWnd.xml
EQUI_Container.xml
EQUI_GroupWindow.xml
EQUI_HotButtonWnd.xml
EQUI_Inventory.xml
EQUI_PlayerWindow.xml
EQUI_SpellBookWnd.xml
EQUI_TargetWindow.xml

Would link but have nowhere to host them at the moment.

EDIT: I did a test UI, modifying JUST the X/Y location of EQUI_CompassWnd.xml and using the default everything else and it still jumped at Y=240 (visually 240) to Y=241 (visually 600)

--Raedron V`Lante, 63rd Arch Mage of the Spurned
Eternal Advocates, Vazaelle

Last edited by Volante : 12-27-2002 at 04:19 AM.
Volante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 07:44 AM   #2
aviendha101
A Tundra Mammoth

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Hmm..

Well, first off I'm not sure why you need to make a backup of your INI file with every patch that changes the UI. Did you know you can type:

/loadskin <name> 1

and have it keep your current INI settings instead of overwriting them with defaults?

Secondly, the location value set in the XML file itself is ONLY loaded the first time you load that UI, and if you don't use the "1" as shown above.

Once you've loaded it and started moving everything around, it makes changes to your INI file and doesn't look at the XML file for the location anymore. So try changing the locations that are listed in your INI file... you should find a listing for each window.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:16 AM   #3
grottel
Grimling Code Editor

Server: Xev

it sounds more like he's learning about relative vs absolute screen item positioning
grottel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 05:51 PM   #4
Volante
A Fire Beetle

well, i was hoping there was a way to not rely on the ini file at all for positioning. (didn't know about the '1' argument, that might suffice)

is there a reason, though, why the windows jump around like that?

--Raedron V`Lante, 63rd Arch Mage of the Spurned
Eternal Advocates, Vazaelle
Volante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 07:54 PM   #5
gusbyinebriatio
A Bat

did anybody ever figure out a fix for this problem? been having trouble with it myself.
gusbyinebriatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 03:43 PM   #6
Elindel
A Tundra Mammoth

Send a message via AIM to Elindel

the "fix" is not to use the XML to specify loc. if you have a UI where the windows have to go in specific places, include an ini file for the user to copy.

I generally play around with the x/y in the xml to make sure there are somewhere near where I'd want them though.
Elindel is offline   Reply With Quote