Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Interface Gallery Discussion > Archive
User Name
Password

Old 10-20-2002, 01:33 AM   #1
faBBe
A Shissar Disciple

Server: -none-
Send a message via ICQ to faBBe
Default Original EverQuest UI Back in 1024x768!

This idea has been round my head for a long time and since Verant never fixed the old UI to fill in higher resolutions, I'm going to do it.

If you were to put my UI and old EQ side by side, the one I'm working on will have a largher viewport. The resolution is higher (1024x768) , the old UI graphics will appear smaller (they are not resized).

Here is a sshot to compare viewport sizes:

This is the viewport :

/viewport 120 0 784 608

Personally I couldnt play in original UI viewport, I was in group tonight for a few hours and really comfortable with the viewport above.

Features :
- clear, uncluttered view
- inventory slots 1-8 always on
- actions window always on
- pet window always on (not shown in pure melee version)
- spell gems placed llike in the original UI
- inventory like the original UI, with player stats on the left column while inventory is on
- selector buttons that works : friends, options, help, inventory (click the class anim)

Work in progress, 27 Oct 2002 Screenshot

See actual resolution here (1024x768)
(jpeg compressed, ~105kb)
SCREENSHOT

Work in progress, 28 Oct 2002 : EFFECTS WINDOW

Here you can see the buff window in game, after I asked some fellas in the Nexus to throw me all the crappy buffs they could spare

See actual resolution here (1024x768)
(jpeg compressed, ~80kb)
SCREENSHOT

Top left of the viewport, the class animation (not shown here) appears when inventory is open

[b]Right side of the viewport

Inventory open :

To close the inventory you will click in the 'stats' box area (i.e. 'Done' button )

26-oct-2002: Containers

Any ideas, suggestions welcome.

Release date should be within next month.

Last edited by faBBe : 10-28-2002 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:47 AM   #2
faBBe
A Shissar Disciple

PROBLEMS ENCOUNTERED SO FAR

Class Animation Will not animate on the main view unless the inventory is open. This isn't too bad after all, since it may be distracting. On the main view, it shows as inventory icon, and when you click it, then the animation shows:

Bags Nobody cares probably but due to XML limitation I couldnt get the original 48x48 pixels inventory slots in the containers, so they are smaller (40x40 new UI ones), everywhere else they appear as in original UI.

Last edited by faBBe : 10-27-2002 at 03:05 AM.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:53 AM   #3
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Not in any way to be taken as an attempt to squash your plans ... have you seen this? Very similar in nature.

Looking at the two of them beside each other ... you guys should team up, you'd compliment each other nicely.

Either way, good work, major flash-backs.

Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Old 10-20-2002, 04:15 AM   #4
faBBe
A Shissar Disciple

Wink Flashback

As I posted in that thread actually, I like what rayvenn's done, but I find the viewport too small. I also would like to see the old UI inventory which I find better, for example the slots are not in a cycle fashion, but are arranged by rows going from the head to the waist then to the legs.. which is more intuitive I would think.

You could say, flashback, graphically, but in terms of functionality it should include all the new UI has to offer.

That's what I m looking for, the classic RPG feel of the old ui, the new ui stuff, and new resolution so a larger viewport..

I cou;ldn't play in the original UI to be honest.

And I'm never happy with the new UI , there's always something in the way, my windows can never stay in place.
Old 10-20-2002, 04:41 AM   #5
faBBe
A Shissar Disciple

Default work in progress

cleaned up thread, pics in 1st post

Last edited by faBBe : 10-27-2002 at 03:00 AM.
Old 10-20-2002, 12:29 PM   #6
Kaori
A Hill Giant

Is that last picture a screenshot or photoshop preview?

Also would be nice to have the player hp number.
Old 10-20-2002, 01:40 PM   #7
faBBe
A Shissar Disciple

Default Cencept

It is still in concept phase, actually that's where most of the hard work is done.. every graphic I put in place I think of the underlying window I will change, I spend more time watching the pic, scratching my head, than making it.

So far so good, I tried the horizontal party window.

For this interface it sounds like a GREAT idea

PROS
- you can toggle it off (the vertical party window was filling up the 'siides' thus if it was removed it would have left a hole)
- when you toggle it off, you have a little more viewport visisble
- solved the problem of short guages in the side bar, now they are the same length as new ui ones (with old ui look)
- and had more space to put F2 - F6 labels
- freed some valuable space on the sdidebar so now I can put more stats that are always visible (unless inventory is on, then it overlaps)

CONS
- all i can think of is it may be a little slower to read since it is spread in a long line but it shouldnt be an issue really.. plus it's close to the chat window

I think the party window is really cool

I am toying with the idea of a bar at the top with a long self HP gauge and target HP gauge... but that would totally enclose the viewport which doesnt sound good .. plus I still have to overlay the buff effects on the main view

The colored 'circle' around the spell gems will be a glow effect in the spell gem 'slots'

I'm trying to decided whether make a movable flying Pet Window, or stick it somewhere in the sidebar..

Now I am pulling my hair out with the inventory, rad a lot of forums to try find what best configuration to use.

My main concern is range/ammo/primary/secondary close to inv slots for quick weapon switching during fight

There ya go, please let me know if I overlook some classes or useful features..

--faB
Old 10-20-2002, 01:43 PM   #8
faBBe
A Shissar Disciple

Kaori, thanks for the interest, yes, on the top right of the last sshot there are two windows I will combine in one so it will have name, level deity, class hp ac atk, and the gauges just cause I freed up space using the horizontal party window

PS: One error in the last sshot, there is no GROUP button.. there is NONE can you believe ti ?? they didnt even put the GROUP window toggle in the selector dammit ! if they had put the Spellbook as well in the selector I would have been able to copy exactly the old spell book icon that opened when you clicked it grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 10-21-2002, 12:31 PM   #9
hochorz
A Ghoul

Default !!!

I can't wait until you get this finished!!!

Just a couple things to bounce off you, and see what you think.

First off, I like the initial layout that you had at the top (first 2 screenshots). Personally, I like the layout a bit better with the vertical group layout as opposed to having it above the chat windows. Second, instead of the 8 inventory slots always available, having it 4 inv slots and the 4 mele slots, or right clickies. I constantly change weapons, and this would make it quite convenient. Either way is great, I just can't wait for the download
Old 10-21-2002, 07:38 PM   #10
Kaenil Darkwolf
A Weathered Clockwork

Server: Tholuxe Paells

Very nice work. Can't wait until you finish it. I have a couple suggestions though.

-The actions window looks a little wierd. Are the pages switch around or something? I thought the tab on the far left was the one with who,invite,disband, camp, sit, and walk/run. I rely on the action window a lot, so I'd rather have it like the old style actions window was.

-I love the way the group gauges are set up in your latest picture.

-Player window. I think it looks a bit too awkward where the percentages are, and how it spaces the bars out. I'd take the percentages and put them at the top of the window, red text for hp, blue text for mana, that way the bars are spaced out right. Doesn't really matter either way, since I can edit it using SidlWidl when ya release it.

-Not sure what you're trying to do below the player window there. Put level, class, diety, hp, ac, and atk there? I'm guessing thats the target bar just below it right?

-As to the 'What here?' comment, maybe leave that area blank so people could put in some of Arista's timers? Just an idea

-Maybe add a pet hp percentage next to your hp and mana percentage? Would make it pretty easy. As you can see in the picture I've attached I've played around with some things. Not exactly as good as your but hey, just check it out and maybe use some ideas? Also, there should be a pet hp bar under the player hp bar right? So you don't really need the pet hp bar in the pet window.

-Combine the level,class,diety, etc window with the stat window?Take a look at my edits to your picture I attached.

-I'm not sure what would fill that little spot just above the target bar. Maybe one timer or something?

Well that's about it for ideas. I cannot wait until you release this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg classic_beta3.jpg (119.7 KB, 211 views)
Old 10-21-2002, 09:57 PM   #11
faBBe
A Shissar Disciple

Thanks for the feedback hochorz, I am taking notes and I would like to see more people's advice on the group window before makeing the hard decision..

Ok I have an idea..

I think I 'll make soon a ugly unfinished 'mock up' but one that works with this horizontal party window and yo uwill be able to give it a test

Good point for the inventory slots,
I know I need to use melee/range/ammo on the main view I am still pulling my haris out on this one Just have to find the BEST config possible for most ppl

KAENIL

here is the actions window in my concept, nothing special here, nothing changed, just wrong tab on my concept layout

I dont know how to spice this one.. havent seen any special actions window mods so far.. sadly we can not add any more action buttons than what is available.. but it will be modded for my UI to hold inv slots and such.. this is transparent to user

Quote:
Player window. I think it looks a bit too awkward where the percentages are, and how it spaces the bars out.

I have to agree on that, will work on it.

Quote:
Not sure what you're trying to do below the player window there. Put level, class, diety, hp, ac, and atk there? I'm guessing thats the target bar just below it right?

Yes I am thinking of combining those two, maybe the deity and class do not matter so maybe I will remove them as they can show while the inventory is on
Yes below is the Target bar, but it will becompletely hidden when inventory is on, the correct target bar can be seen in my 4th post pic

Quote:
As to the 'What here?' comment, maybe leave that area blank so people could put in some of Arista's timers? Just an idea

Hmm I will probably need all the space I can get, but that is a GOOD suggestion. i Will keep it in mind. If all else fails , people can always put things up on the view such as the compass.

It's good to leave some space to 'breathe' in there anyway, I dont have to fill up everything with data.. so yes I hope I will have some space left

Quote:
Maybe add a pet hp percentage next to your hp and mana percentage?

Well, for the player, I was thinking the pet window contains this info, and thus if the player does not play a pet class, there wont be some space left unused up there. I will try to add a precentage to the pet hp bar though wherever it is.

Quote:
there should be a pet hp bar under the player hp bar right? So you don't really need the pet hp bar in the pet window

I didnt plan to, as explained above, because it will leave a n unused space in player window to non pet classes, and also because I will have the pet window buttons together in oneplace and the pet hp somewhere else ? Or I would double the pet hp information.. so I prefer to leave the pet hp bar in the pet window.. I am hoping this way the Pet Window will also be a toggle on/off to add flexibility into the interface

Quote:
Combine the level,class,diety, etc window with the stat window?

I planned to display the stats while the inventory is on, I think in order of importance you have hp/ac/atk, then the resists (because you can be debuuffed during fight), then maybe the stats ? So the stats will effectively appear when the inventory is toggled on,

oh, wait.. I see.. ok yes when inventory is on I can actually merge this and stats take a little less space good idea :P

in fact I may as well put all in one 'box' when inventory is on, I dont have to really stick to the old UI composition, I'm just using the old UI viewport arrangement and 'theme'

Quote:
I'm not sure what would fill that little spot just above the target bar. Maybe one timer or something?

I can see that my posts were confusing because I posted the main view screenshot without the right side done, and then posted my 'in progress' inventory on screenshot with those done..

I will try to post soon a actual concept of the main view

Thank you for the feedback!

Last edited by faBBe : 10-21-2002 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:55 PM   #12
faBBe
A Shissar Disciple

Default CHAT WINDOWS

PS: I really need some help with the chat windows
- do you like the old UI ones ? (parchment thing) I would replace those with a dark stone background.. because I have more custom text colors readable then

- what configuration ? my plans at the moment are to use the right side for hitsmode as I am using while I play cf pic:

if you have a nice chat window;/ hitsmdoe setup post me a link please

the POINT is to have it out of the viewport of course, otherwise it would render this UI concept somewhat obsolete.. which is .. a nice clear view
Old 10-22-2002, 01:52 AM   #13
faBBe
A Shissar Disciple

Here's what I have so far for main view, right side :

Here's the idea with the inv slots, which are ALWAYS visible then :

[ inv slot 3 ] [ Range ]
[inv slot 4 ] [ inv slot 8 ]
[ melee 1 ] [ melee 2 ]

so, 3 inv slots, placed the same way is in full inventory, not to be confusing

howver top right is a RANGE slot, which allows quick swapping with inv slot 3 or 8, for those who need it

slots 4, and 8 just above the melee 1 and 2 allow quick sweap of weapons, and shield for warrior bash-swap 'trick'

for bards, it looks perfect as well for switchin g instruments and weapons

so, what do you think ?

still got plenty of space left as you can see
Old 10-22-2002, 01:56 AM   #14
faBBe
A Shissar Disciple

cleaned up, pics in 1st post

Last edited by faBBe : 10-27-2002 at 03:10 AM.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:19 AM   #15
faBBe
A Shissar Disciple

Default PARTY WINDOW

Another design for the party window, I was not too happy with my 'stone' design it looked too plastic..

This one has that neat tansparency of the fullscreen view, I think it's better.