Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > General authoring help / discussion
User Name
Password

Old 07-27-2002, 07:03 PM   #1
Demorgoth
A Gray Wolf

Default Hardcoded - what is, and what isn't

OK, from what I've read, some things are hardcoded into specific windows and others aren't.

Invite/Disband MUST appear in the grouping box, though they can be made too small to see or moved off the box. I'm assuming it also follows that they can't be used in other windows.

So, what buttons CAN you tinker about with?

Can you add a regular text userdefinable box hotkey (eg: /say INC %t ) to any windows?

Can you add a predefined hotkey such as 'run'

No doubt more question will come to light, just wondering what people's initial findings were
Demorgoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 11:14 PM   #2
Geddine
A Wooly Rhino

Server: Morell-Thule
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

OK so far my findings are :

- If it has an EQType it can be move and placed in any window you like. But at the current time you can only have 1 existing gauge of each type. Also only 1 label, having more than 1 doesn't cause it to crash but all dupicates appear as a 0 (or default text), this has been or will be soon fixed on test.

- If it doesn't have an EQType it MUST not only exist but also be in it's original window, moving it WILL NOT work.

- All XML files for windows must exist.

- It is reported (by a 3rd party) that Verant have allowed for players to create new windows, but I have yet to see anyone succeed at doing this. So either you can't fullstop or that you can't yet.

- Some windows have inherit characteristics which can't be duplicated or removed.
. Casting window will appear when casting, even if the bar is not there.
. Breathe Window will appear under water, even if the bar is not there.
. Inventory will appear when looting/banking or shopping even if no slots are in it.
. Buff window has hard-coded placing of icons, and starts at the top-left, and readjusts with re-sizing.
. Containers size is hard-coded, therefore not changable through XML.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.
Old 07-27-2002, 11:18 PM   #3
psychogears
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Xev
Send a message via ICQ to psychogears Send a message via AIM to psychogears Send a message via Yahoo to psychogears

Where'd you hear that you can make a new window? I'd like to at least see who claims you can do it, as it might provide some clue or something that I missed before...

Your observations are very cool, though. I didn't think about the relationship between the behaviors of the windows, and that bit about having an EQType... that observation made alot of things clearer to me.

-TJ

of Xev
psychogears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 11:34 PM   #4
Geddine
A Wooly Rhino

Thats why I put 3rd person in bracets. I read it in a seperate thread on this board about 1/2 an hour ago of someone saying they read it on the eqlive forums. So yes its a "I read that soandso read that soandso wrote" things which is why I tend to disbelieve it until someone can actually show me an example of it working.

Also forgot to add in
- the plain text labels (eg the / between current Hp's and maxHP, the NEXT LEVEL label etc) can all be edited/ deleted/ resized/ moved etc.
Geddine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 12:01 AM   #5
guice
Keeper of the Hampster

Server: Mithaniel Marr
Send a message via AIM to guice Send a message via Yahoo to guice

Quote:
. Casting window will appear when casting, even if the bar is not there.

This is fixable by removing the <Screen> element.

It can't draw something that doesn't have a <Screen> associated with it.

This is the method I used to remove the Casting Gauge when duplicating the Bard spell cast icon set. I didn't like the way he/she modified the EQUI.xml file ( commenting out the one said file ), so I modified the CastingWindow.xml file. Must better implmentation, I think.
guice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 12:09 AM   #6
Geddine
A Wooly Rhino

I set my casting window to a size of 1 and removed the border and texture etc. I must admit it has been a while since I tried to literally remove the window. I have given up trying to remove them, so when I don't want a window I just shrink it, much less hassle. So they may have some windows that can be deleted, but I'd rather not go through the trial and error to find out.
Old 07-28-2002, 01:35 AM   #7
Akephalos
A Ghoul

Currently, there seems to be some confusion (and a rather large discussion) with what is hard coded, and what is not. I do not know everything about the UI, nor do I believe some of the things that seem to be circulating as fact.

Things such as "- All XML files for windows must exist."

A UI is exactly what its name says. Its a User Interface. It is an interface between the person whom is using it, and the functions, features, and commands that are in the EXE.

It takes the information provided by the EXE, and organizes it in a way that the user can make sense of, and use it.

What is hard coded, is what is in the exe. New commands, Functions, and features will not be able to be created via the UI, however, most everything should be able to be edited and changed in the XML UI.

I would seriously suggest reading the following thread, as it has tons of useful information, as well as a good explanation of how things appear to work, as well as a factual basis of refuting the above bold typed statement.

http://www.eqgui.com/showthread.php...tid=499#post499
Akephalos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 03:57 AM   #8
Geddine
A Wooly Rhino

In regards to the bolded statement. This was true on test at the start, and after 2 days of trying to get rid of certain windows/buttons I had given up and have yet to attempt it since (to me waste of time as I know I can just hide them).

Ok this is untested but see if someone can confirm for me.

Based on the other "Question" thread is there any windows which can be deleted which contains something that is not an EQType? (eg buttons)
Old 07-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #9
nolimit1
A Fire Beetle

I hate to bring an old topic back into light but the recent Living Legacy promotion has brought my girlfriend and I back to the game and with it, a need to edit the interface...again.

So, here is my question. I want to put the spell casting window gems onto my player window. It appears this is not possible, is that correct? I can add the generic gem graphic properties but the actual spell memorized for the slot does not show up nor can I change what it contains.

I write this here because the link to eqgui.com is not working and I cannot find this information anywhere else. Any help would be greatly appreciated and a response via E-mail would be even better ( I cannot view these forums at work )! [email protected]

Thanks in advance!
nolimit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #10
raidenelf
A Ghoul

cant move anything button-like from one window to another, only labels and gauges you can move around
raidenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #11
nolimit1
A Fire Beetle

Well, dang. Thanks for the info.
nolimit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #12
shillingworth
A Predatory Creeper

Server: Bertoxxulous

Not all files must exist, just the Screen elements for each window defined in the default folder's default.ini (think that's what it's called anyway).

I experimented with it a bit and dumped the entire UI into one single EQUI.xml file, it took a long time to load but it worked just the same once it loaded.

When you override an element, you don't need the entire file either, as long as the element only exist once in your UI folder it'll override and give a red error, but not crash.

The only time I'd suggest to copy one the files out of the default folder is when you will be changing everything about it.

Some elements are required to get the UI to function, but they don't have to be used in the Screen element, just declared in the file somewhere.

"Computers are like Air Conditioners, they stop working properly when you open Windows."
shillingworth is offline   Reply With Quote