User Name
Password

Old 10-17-2002, 09:33 PM   #1
faBBe
A Shissar Disciple

Server: -none-
Send a message via ICQ to faBBe
Default Full Player Names in Target Window

Why is it that NPC's have their name & surname in the Target Window but not PC's ?

It would be good feature as well when using /shownames 1 so you can see the full name in the target window, without the spam on the main view..
Old 10-18-2002, 10:55 AM   #2
xguix
A Snow Griffin

Unfortunately, Verant did not give us an option to view target's surname in the UI. As far as why NPC's surname shows up in the target window, the answer is easy - NPCs don't have Surnames! Here's a little lesson many of us knew from either a) times when the NPC's real name had an EQType or b) our pas Guiding experience

The EQ engine is built not to show specific characters in PC/NPC/mob names. These characters are numbers and underscores. "A Blackburrow Gnoll" is actually named something like "A_Blackburrow_Gnoll08" and "Guard Ostyn" is actually "Guard_Ostyn00", where the underscores are shown as spaces and numers at the end get stripped out. (The numbers are used to distinguish between mobs that share identical names and can range from 00 all the way to 99).

What this means is that NPCs and mobs don't have a surname, they only have a first name. "Trumpy Irontoe" is actually "Trumpy_Irontoe00". PCs, however, have both first name and a surname, where first name is unique to each player (hence no need for digits at the end) and surname which doesn't really mean anything (in terms of character's attributes).