Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 02:11 PM   #16
Zantaklawz
Manaetic Prototype IX

Server: Bristlebane, The Nameless, Xegony, Veeshan, Firiona Vie, Vallon Zek, and Venril Sathir
Send a message via AIM to Zantaklawz Send a message via Yahoo to Zantaklawz

The last time I checked, it was Sony's product and what they do with it is their choice. You don't call the TV station when you see numerous commercials do you? I didn't think so. And before you say, I don't pay for TV... I beg to differ to those who have subscription services like cable or satellite. Like a previous poster said, it's not all that bad as you make it seem. Okay so you have to click 'no thanks' before you choose your server, big deal. Is it taking that much time out of your schedule to take the additional 2 seconds to click 'no thanks'? I personally only see that ad occassionally (I must be lucky it gets bypassed sometimes) and as for in game announcements... I will see on the MoTD and maybe once or twice (if that) during my game time. It doesn't take away from the game seeing it, and it definately doesn't cause any in game deaths (unless you have to stop what your doing and stare at the screen for a minute or two reading it - you may have issues that you may need to be looked at).

Just remember its their product and if they wish to advertise more of their product, that is their choice. Your choice is to log off and cancel your account if it bothers you that much. But if that's not an option for you, then it must not be that big of a deal in the first place. If you don't plan on buying it, ignore it, and move on.

Proud to be an at EQ Roleplayers! Join us and spread the word!

Come and sit for a while and listen to the Tales of Zantaklawz! Tell one! Tell all!
Zantaklawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 02:20 PM   #17
Dolby
Lord Dolby of Veeshan

Server: Veeshan

Quote:
Originally posted by Zantaklawz
You don't call the TV station when you see numerous commercials do you?

If I payed the TV station $12.94 /month I would call them and complain. Also being one that works at a TV Station we do get calls from people complaining about commercials... sounds dumb but people do it.

Quote:
And before you say, I don't pay for TV... I beg to differ to those who have subscription services like cable or satellite.

When you pay your cable bill none of that money goes to channels that show advertisements. If you have basic cable the money goes soely to the cable company for operating costs. None of the stations on cable get a check from the cable company epect for HBO, Pay-per-View, Spice Channel, etc. So you are really only paying to get the stations in higher quality and for more channels (paying for the cable companys sat. dish garden, 24/7 techs to keep the cable working, 24/7 phone support, etc). Then you can pay extra to get stations that dont show commercials and that money does go to those stations.

Last edited by Dolby : 12-08-2003 at 03:35 PM.
Dolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 02:22 PM   #18
Keilia
A Hill Giant

Server: Tunare

What Zanta and Kudane said *nod*
Old 12-08-2003, 02:30 PM   #19
Ellyana
a_HappyEQCustomer_01

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

SOE just needs to realize that constant sales pitches/ads do not generarly sway a consumer whose mind is made up. If I click NO that should end it. and the whole business with switching the buttons around is just dirty and they should be ashamed.

I guess my opinion doesnt really count for much anymore since I have left EQ after 4+years for Final Fantasy XI, but I feel for you guys.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:31 PM   #20
kenney
Bad Ass Kitty

Server: if you know me you know =P

Just make sure this LoEPopUpLastView= says this after 1100000000....and that pop will stop.............................I have done this from day one and no pop ups...

LoEPopUpLastView=1100000000
kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 02:35 PM   #21
Dolby
Lord Dolby of Veeshan

Another thing you can do to stop the popups is click order and never follow through. I did that and there is no more popups.
Old 12-08-2003, 02:52 PM   #22
laertise
A Snow Griffin

Must admit its annoying when i'm logging in as it makes my mouse lock up and I have to exit to windows mode to unlock it Other than that the system wide messages are of no bother. At this point I think its trivial, now if they start hitting me with pop ups when I'm in game that would cause me deaths or something to that affect then I would be annoyed. And probably disconnect my account and go look for a better game. But what they are doing doesn't cause me any harm and I can walk right past it unless I have to stop and go to windows mode. But when I'm in my fantasy wourld that server wide message could go off 10 time every 30 min and not affect me at all.

Laertise

PS zanta those of us who hates commercials have satalite or tivo You can completly cut the comercials out its amazing watch a show in 15 min.
laertise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 03:13 PM   #23
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony

Quote:
Originally posted by kenney
Just make sure this LoEPopUpLastView= says this after 1100000000....and that pop will stop.............................I have done this from day one and no pop ups...

LoEPopUpLastView=1100000000

What file do people change this in, sounds like very wise advice... but need to know where...

/bow

.: Have a question? Read this :.
[ F.A.Q ]
Kudane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 03:14 PM   #24
Kudane
Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Dolby
Another thing you can do to stop the popups is click order and never follow through. I did that and there is no more popups.

Hey last time I clicked on something to get rid of pop-ups I ended up in the Air Force (would you like to join [yes] or [not now])

hehehehe

just kidding..
Old 12-08-2003, 03:36 PM   #25
Zantaklawz
Manaetic Prototype IX

Server: Bristlebane, The Nameless, Xegony, Veeshan, Firiona Vie, Vallon Zek, and Venril Sathir
Send a message via AIM to Zantaklawz Send a message via Yahoo to Zantaklawz

Quote:
Originally posted by Kudane
What file do people change this in, sounds like very wise advice... but need to know where...

/bow

Its in your EQClient.ini file, just scroll down just a little. Its just before the Hitsmode (well at least in my ini file it is).
Zantaklawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 03:37 PM   #26
Kaolian
A Fire Beetle

Server: Bertoxxulous
Send a message via AIM to Kaolian

Quote:
Originally posted by Kudane
Two things...

1. I agree with organizing a show of support for something you disagree with, BUT some of the things listed above can get you banned. Mis-use of the /petition system can get you a 2 or 3 day suspension. I would recommend if you want to participate in the above mentioned "stand-in" or the email to sony, then please do so. neither of those should cause any issues. But please do not send in a petition. you will be clogging up the cue, and those who are having real ingame problems will not be able to get help.. this is why mis-use of it can get you a "warning" suspension (usually 2 or 3 days)

While sony can indeeed ban me for this or for anything else that they feel like banning me for, there is currently no clause in the EULA or rules as posted on www.everquest.com that specifically prohibits sending a petition, or sending mass petitions. However, if you feel that this is not something you feel comfertable participating in, then by all means, feel free to skip that part.

They can't ban all of us!

Quote:

2. Companies don't tend to react well to threats. Its simply not good buisness practice to allow anyone to "take hostages". SOE does listen to the feedback given, and if a lot of people give feedback then they listen even more. But I will go against the masses and say that everytime someone wants to "protest" something going on in the game with a "stand-in" or "mass-cancelling of accounts" you will see little or no help from SOE. We pay to play thier game, they listen to our feedback to make the game more fun, but it would completely stupid of them to make any changes because "people protested" because then *any* time someone wanted something change they would *again* "take hostages" as it were.

I am not threatening to cancel my account. I am not urging others to cancel their account. I ams imply urging people to boycott Lords of Everquest until they remove the ads. The live protest will be short in duration, and if it crashes PoK, it will only take them minutes to reboot it. The petition que can be cleared simply enough by them doing a flush. There may be some disruption frm it, and I expect that I will annoy a few people with this, but I truly believe this is necessary to get the point across. I asked nicely that they stop with the ads. I offered dialogue. All posts on the issue are being regularily deleted without response from the Dev forums. This is the only way forward I can think of. If I am banned for this action, that is a price I am willing to pay.
Kaolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 04:02 PM   #27
Kudane
Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaolian
I am not threatening to cancel my account. I am not urging others to cancel their account. I ams imply urging people to boycott Lords of Everquest until they remove the ads.

That is what I am refering to as "taking hostages." And again, companies don't tend to recieve this well

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaolian
All posts on the issue are being regularily deleted without response from the Dev forums.

No, dont post in the TECH forums.. go to DEV FORUM and click FEEDBACK.. this sends an email STRAIGHT to Alan VanCouvering.. If you were posting this in the tech forum here I would have moved it too.. (they dont have a chit-chat section sooo its deleted).

I am also going to close this post.. I don't want to see this get out of hand. and you are feeling very passionate about this topic.. and before this turns into a "them vs us" arguement.. better to close it.

Kenney PM me with the file you were refering too and I will edit it into your post above for those who want it..

Good luck with your protest... let us know how it turns out.

/bow
Old 12-08-2003, 05:13 PM   #28
Dolby
Lord Dolby of Veeshan

Quote:
mortis42 wrote on 12-08-2003 04:05 PM:
Hi I was going to reply to this thread only to find it locked.
I wanted to add that I stopped my pop-ups by adding the line to your eqclient.ini:
LoEPopupDontShow=1
right after the LoEPopUpLastView= line.

Thanks

Last edited by Dolby : 12-08-2003 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:35 PM   #29
Kaolian
A Fire Beetle

Server: Bertoxxulous
Send a message via AIM to Kaolian
Default Update to the protest issue (sorry but other thread is locked so can't post it there)

My appologies for creating a second thread to place this in, but as the origional thread is locked I must post it here, otherwise there may be unneccessary protesting. If you could mod edit this into the original thread and then delete this one, that would work too.

UPDATE:

Victory.

As of at least this morning, the Pop up ad and ingame spam has ceased on all servers. Coincidence? Maybe. Regardless, Sony has acceded to the wishes of the bulk of the players, making our protest somewhat redundant. Therefore, I am calling off the controversial /petition and e-mail campaign. I will still be present in the PoK if anyone wishes to stop by for a victory celebration. Thank you all for your support, and another thanks to those that critiqued the idea for furthering the dialogue.

Roma Victor!
Kaolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread