Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Help ! ? ! ?
User Name
Password

Old 11-05-2003, 09:06 PM   #16
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Okay, straight from SOE's Tech Help forum, this thread posted by Roger Sewell:

Quote:
Question: Why doesn't the Target Indicator Work?

Answer: TargetIndicator.ini and TargetIndicator.tga were downloaded via the patcher and they are in the EverQuest\uifiles\default folder. If you are running any kind of Custom UI Skin, neither one of those 2 files will get loaded, and you won't see the 3D Target Indicator in game. TargetIndicator.tga is not referenced in EQUI_Animation.xml, which means it is not "really" part of the UI, but part of the game itself (Yes this may be somewhat confusing for someone that doesn't modify UI's regularly). This is typically only a problem because at some point, you've run a Custom UI and one of the 2 files listed below, is reflecting that and causing a problem.

Here's what's happening:

There is a line in your EQClient.ini file that reads:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UISkin=default (It reads "default" if you aren't running a Custom Skin)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whatever this reads, is what is loaded before the "Character Selection" screen when the blue bar is loading EverQuest with the picture of Firiona Vie.
There are some lines in your UI_<CharacterName>_<ServerName>.ini that read:

quote:

(Main)
UISkin=default (It reads "default" if you aren't running a Custom Skin)
GlobalFadeDelay=500
ContextMenus=1 (1 = TRUE)
UseTellWindows=1 (1 = TRUE)

Whatever this reads, is what is loaded after the Character Selection Screen, but before you enter the game. Your values (as quoted above) may be different depending on what you have setup in the game. So, basically it works like this.
When you get to the Character Selection Screen, it is reading the UISkin=default from the EQClient.ini file. When you log into the game, you are reading the UISkin=default from the UI_<CharacterName>_<ServerName>.ini file.

So unless these are set correctly, the 3D Indicator Window will not work.

Also, I've pointed him (Roger) to this thread directly as being the main thread on our board, in the hopes that it'll help them track down any other reasons that may be preventing it from working for folks.

Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Cairenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 09:34 PM   #17
xarquid
A Fire Beetle

Default The Fix

Common fix is upgrading to most current version of DirectX

http://www.microsoft.com/directx

Good luck.
xarquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 10:16 PM   #18
Qinadwen
An Executioner

Server: Venril Sathir

I had a thought: "If i read this correctly, basicly it means that (if we want to use the indicator) we always have to start EQ with the default skin and then load our custom skin ingame for it to work."

But no...that doesnt work either, still no indicator with both lines reading DEFAULT in both files.

(not even with DX9.0b, which should be the newest)

Baron Qinadwen Loreseeker, Koada'Dal Conjurer of the 56th plane.

Thomas Jefferson:
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases."

Last edited by zone : 11-05-2003 at 10:54 PM.
Qinadwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 11:13 PM   #19
Zenlaugh
A Fire Beetle

Angry Target indicator

Yeah I'm another one that's tried copying the files after letting EQ repatch them.. still nothing.
I haven't tried switching to 32bit mode yet or tweaking the other options in eqclient.ini (mipmapping, tinting, etc.) but I'm going to if nobody else finds a fix before sony does.
Anyone else who still can't get this prob fixed; how are you running the game?
I'm running 800x600 under WinME, no new models, 128mb RAM, Intel 810e video, directx 9.
Zenlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 11:49 PM   #20
zonnai
A Ghoul

I can log on test server and use any UI, custom or default and the indicator always works.

But... that being said, the "easy" fix for live server is to copy TargetIndicator.INI and TargetIndicator.TGA to the custom UI dir...

Isnt that posted somewere? Thought I read it here... anyways, I cant get the INI file to actually change anything and im too lazy to keep /camp desktop and login to test it :/
zonnai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 12:40 AM   #21
mulluane
A Snow Cougar

Server: drinal

I copied the 3 new Target files into my infiniti folder, I now get the ring arounfd the targets feet but not around the target box. Funny thing is, ring around target box worked just fine on test server using the same UI without any pasting needed.
mulluane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 02:25 AM   #22
Mutley
An Icepaw Kobold

I'm running 2 systems and neither will show the target glow or however it should look under the target mob. The target box coloring does show correctly.

One system is Win98 running at 32-bit and 800x600. The other system is WinXP Pro running at 32-bit and 1024x768. Both have newest DX installed, version 9.0b.

Both have AMD processors (remembering back to pretty teal blue days with AMD instead of gold due to programming at the beginning of EQ).
Mutley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 02:38 AM   #23
spellcaster
A Gray Wolf

I found if I deleted my files eg everything with my characters name in, it reset it and it worked.. not exactly a great answer though.
spellcaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 04:21 AM   #24
Haliken
Quintessence of EQUI XML

You guys are WAY wrong, go to this thread now and you'll see how to fix this:
http://www.eqgui.com/showthread.php?postid=57966

Enok

P.S. - Would an admin please delete this thread, it's just getting people confused. The last few posters are jumping to wrong conclusions.
Haliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 04:49 AM   #25
Mordukay
A Gray Wolf

Server: Veeshan

A guildy if mine found a way to fix this problem

/loadskin default 1

/indicator on

/loadskin custom 1

There is your target ring

Booffa

Last edited by Mordukay : 11-06-2003 at 04:55 AM.
Mordukay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 06:35 AM   #26
Qinadwen
An Executioner

Server: Venril Sathir

Quote:
Originally posted by Haliken

Enok

P.S. - Would an admin please delete this thread, it's just getting people confused. The last few posters are jumping to wrong conclusions.

I tried this and a few others peeps have posted and none of them works ... i still have no indicator, not even on my default UI.

And apparently i am not the only one with this problem, other have posted far more advanced ways to get it to work (like deleting all custom files) and still with no luck.

There is an issue with this indicator and since the servers are brought down today for an "emergency update" i would hope that Sony is looking into it.

Last edited by zone : 11-06-2003 at 06:47 AM.
Qinadwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 08:07 AM   #27
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Quote:
Originally posted by Haliken

Enok

Haliken, read what I posted from the SOE Tech Help board. There are on-going problems with this that nothing seems to be fixing. Roger is aware of this issue (I've pointed him to this thread) and I've no doubt that he has made the rest of the SOE EQ team aware of the problem(s) and that they are all looking in to it.

Therefore, no, this thread shouldn't be closed, as it has been designated as the main thread on this board to deal with this problem, and this is the one that SOE will come to.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:44 AM   #28
forry
Enhanced Imperial Golem

Server: Tarew Marr

I'm having some touble of my own, but its different from most of these above. I am able to get the target ring around the MOB to appear by copying the 2 needed files into my custom UI folders. The problem that I'm currently trying to fix is the color that appears in the target window itself...its not showing up on my interface. If I load the default UI, its there, but my personal UI won't show.

I logged into the Test server last month when the changes were announced and fixed up the target window con to work with the forry UI. I even have a picture of it somewhere on one of these threads. The day before the patch I again logged into the Test server just to double check to make sure everything worked and to fix up another part of my UI. The target window con was there and working properly. I signed out and came back a couple hours later, repatched, and signed back into the Test server to find that the target window con wasn't working. I've double checked code, graphics, alpha channels, etc. and can't find anything that would be messing this up.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post in (if it is you can remove this post), but I figured since SOE reps would be coming to this post to check on the targeting problem, I should at least put this information out there.

forry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 10:07 AM   #29
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Forry, did you remove the <TextureInfo Item ="Targetbox.tga"> back out of the Animations file and put it in the Target window?
Old 11-06-2003, 10:33 AM   #30
forry
Enhanced Imperial Golem

Server: Tarew Marr

Cairenn...all I have to say is WOW!!! You're Good!!! I didn't even take notice to that being moved. I don't use a custom Animation file so I wasn't paying attention to some of the changes taking place there. Thanks a bunch!
forry is offline   Reply With Quote