Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > General authoring help / discussion
User Name
Password

Old 07-31-2002, 10:38 AM   #1
Treelandv2.1
A Treant

Default Help Tinting Windows / Kudane Please Help

Inspired by Kudane's Purple and Lambent UIs, I'm trying to make my own, I need to know how to color the window pieces / backgrounds to different colors... I'll be using Photoshop.
Treelandv2.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 11:00 AM   #2
Lady Silver
A Wooly Rhino

Default Tinted but Boxed!!?

I managed to figure out how to tint the files using Photoshop. I selected two different colors on the duo-palette (for the life of me, I can't think of a technical term for that and I'm too lazy and frustrated to load Photoshop and find out... lol), then went to Image, Adjust, Hue/Saturation... or Ctrl+U. I checked the box that said "colorize" and it did it all for me. I now have a pretty teal tint for all my window_pieces0*.tga. It matches nicely with the image I used to replace wnd_bg_*_rock.tga.

Anyhow... the problem I have is that all my windows and cursors are now blocked. It appears that when I adjusted the hue/sat, it removed the transparency of the objects within the files. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong, cuz I hate having a cursor with a black box around it. Also, if I put my spell window on 100%, it blacks out my spell gems completely.

I have no doubt I just messed up one little thing and it's a totally simple fix, but I'm begging for help.

Thanks!

Lady Silver
"I'm a paranoid schizophrenic. I am my own entourage."
Lady Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 11:34 AM   #3
tedar
A Ghoul

a quick fix would be reloading the file from the default folder , then only select the pieces with the marquee tool , then tint those only .. not the whole lot.
tedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 02:52 PM   #4
Lady Silver
A Wooly Rhino

Well, looks like I'm going to have to sit myself down and get a little deeper into Photoshop. I've not used it for anything too major yet. I guess I'm probably overlooking something because as it stands now, when I open the tga files, I have a totally flat image - pictures on a black background, no way to differentiate between the individual pix unless I manually draw them out - a very tough, loooong process. I'll go back into Photoshop and see if I'm missing some nifty capability it's trying to keep hidden. Computers like to do that to me...

So off I go to hunt. Any other suggestions, ideas, comments, etc would still be much appreciated.

Thanks!

~Lady Silver
Old 07-31-2002, 05:34 PM   #5
Lady Silver
A Wooly Rhino

/sigh

Okay - I've spent several... too many... hours today trying to figure this out. I know it should be simple, but my brain is frying. Would someone PLEASE be so kind as to give me a short walk-through on exactly how to edit just the colors? I know which files to edit, but I don't know what to do to prevent either a box behind the objects (instead of a transparency) or else an outline of the wrong color. I read somewhere that to create a transparency, you needed to put it on a purple background (don't remember where I read that), so I massively cut the images (I've been working w/ file ...01.tga - the one with the cursors), and placed them as a transparent layer over a purple background. So now all of my items have a purple outline. Which would be fine if my color scheme was purple.... but it's teal and it kinda clashes. heh.

Anyhow - it's tomorrow here in central Europe, so I'm off to bed. Happy Editing.

~Lady Silver
Old 08-01-2002, 01:19 AM   #6
Lady Silver
A Wooly Rhino

Default Yea!!!

After a good night's rest and some more frustration, I finally figured it out. Using Photoshop, here's a quick breakdown. (And I was right - it is Really easy)

Open a copy of the default window_pieces0*.tga.
Choose primary color on Color Palatte. (My choice was dark teal)
Select the Magic Wand:
~ 0 Tolerance
~ Uncheck: Anti-Aliased, Use All Layers, Contiguous
Click on black background - Not one of the images.
**This should select all of the black on the screen, boxing off the images.
From the Menu:
~ Selection -> Inverse
~ Layer -> New -> Layer via Cut (or via Copy)
~ Image -> Adjust -> Hue/Saturation -> Colorize (check box)
**Here you can adjust the levels of Hue/Sat/Lightness

That's it. Save your file as the correct window_pieces... make sure you save a copy as .tga, because it will automaticaly want to save it as a Photoshop-type file. Wash, Rinse, Repeat and enjoy your new colors!!!

~Lady Silver