User Name
Password

Old 10-05-2002, 08:20 PM   #1
Thangor
A Snow Cougar

Server: Saryrn
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Smile Thangor's "Red Dragon" Spellbook

I've loved dragons ever since I was a small child. So I decided I would put together a spellbook to reflect my love of them. There is a special surprise in this one. You won't see it in the image here... but if you install it... stare into the dragon's eyes.

I've uploaded this to the download section.

I love to hear feedback from people, so please... give me comments, good or bad.

Last edited by Thangor : 10-08-2002 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-06-2002, 02:48 AM   #2
Cabalist
A Fire Beetle

Great Spellbook Thangor

Had just a small bug. The Spellname of Spellgem 14 was a bit off...

I changed this:
Code:
<StaticText item ="SBW_SpellName14"> <ScreenID>SBW_SpellName14</ScreenID> <Font>1</Font> <RelativePosition>true</RelativePosition> <Location> <X>290</X> <Y>321</Y>

to this:

Code:
<StaticText item ="SBW_SpellName14"> <ScreenID>SBW_SpellName14</ScreenID> <Font>1</Font> <RelativePosition>true</RelativePosition> <Location> <X>265</X> <Y>369</Y>

Now everything is fine.

Edit: Some more things. Spellname6 (from 7th Gem) is a bit too high and long Spellnames are wrapped to two lines and the second line hides half behind the icon under it allready...

uhm I hope someone understands my english

Last edited by Cabalist : 10-06-2002 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:36 AM   #3
alpacapagani
A Ghoul

Server: Luclin
Send a message via AIM to alpacapagani
Default Good Job Thangor!

Awesome mod bro. Keep up the good work!
Old 10-06-2002, 11:43 AM   #4
Zyrik
An Icepaw Kobold

Server: Bristle-Bane

Is it possible to take the dragon and put it on other spell books?
Old 10-06-2002, 12:01 PM   #5
Thangor
A Snow Cougar

Lightbulb Moving the Dragon to Other books

Sure, it's possible. Though unless the new book in question is exactly the same size as this one, he may not fit quite right.

Thanks for all the feedback! If you look at the image at the begining of this thread, I've also made a slight attempt at fixing his "scrunched nose" though don't know if I quite got it right yet?

On another note, I checked out T.King's latest spellbook design he had on his website. It seems what I had hoped would happen is happening... We're feeding off eachother to make better and better spellbooks. The pic posted on his site takes some of the nice little features I put in my spellbook and is putting them to good use. I really enjoy a bit of competitiveness as it pushes me to create better and better designs. Look for more soon!

Last edited by Thangor : 10-08-2002 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-06-2002, 01:42 PM   #6
Blacklord_sith
A Hill Giant

Server: Tholuxxe Paelles

I must say this spellbook ROCKS! I just tried it out, and it's the cleanest graphic I've seen for the books. And the little blink the dragon does Kicks ass!
Old 10-06-2002, 02:50 PM   #7
Casanunda
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Fennin Ro
Send a message via ICQ to Casanunda
Default example: bigger snout

The edit you did was very good for correcting the scrunchiness, but it still seemed rather odd--looking at it for a bit, I decided that the snout was just too high up on the face to be at that angle. It wasn't congruitous. So, being the happy little paintshopper that I am, I hacked it up and made this *extrememly poor* mockup of what I mean, which is attached below. Dragons need to have that sort of longish, equine snout to look proper, and I hope I've proportioned it well enough for you to get the picture. Just about 15-20pixels lower (I simply cut out the round of the "snout", from the nostrils to the chin, and moved it down one of its own lengths...well, you get the picture). I also overwrote the beard thingy, because I'm not a fan of it ^.^ but heck, it's your drawing, have a hairy dragon if you like (a soul patch would look better, if you insist on facial hair O.o). I think if you try it out, you'll agree that it looks more dragon-ish and less Yoda-ish than before. Still, do what you like, I'm just the suggestion dwarf. Good luck, great job!
Fennin Ro"The Forgotten Server"
Go Kicky Fast Okay!
Old 10-06-2002, 04:39 PM   #8
Wolfhugger
A Treant

Server: Seventh Hammer

Very god job. I am impressed. The blinking eyes make the mod.
May Your Hunts Be Plentiful And The Loot Rich
Old 10-06-2002, 04:53 PM   #9
Thangor
A Snow Cougar

Default Hmmm

I'm seeing what you're getting at now... a more downward look to it. I may just make that adjustment as you're right. It does appear more "dragonish" like that Thank's for the help in tweaking this.

"Revision is the key to quality"
Old 10-06-2002, 05:18 PM   #10
Thomus
Featured Artist

Server: Brell Serilis
Featured Artist
Send a message via Yahoo to Thomus
Angry feeding what?

I'm sorry to inform you, but I'm not feeding off of anyones ideas here or anywhere else, I was pointed to this thread via e-mail, and my wife told me I shouldn't even bother to respond to this thread, however, you're a good artist, your style is clean and maybe a cross between 2D and 3D, but I am not in competition with anyone, or I would have come here and posted a v2.0 spellbook with a more realistic looking dragon on it blowing smoke out of his nose and fire out his arse, it's not my style to take others ideas and improve upon them literally, that's not flattery when it's presented in this way, it's trying to show up others, and that sir is tacky.

-t.king
http://home.attbi.com/~tomjking
Old 10-06-2002, 06:30 PM   #11
Thangor
A Snow Cougar

Unhappy Sheesh... you took that all wrong

Maybe I didn't explain it correctly... or maybe you just took what I said all wrong. Allow me to try and explain better.

When I see another artist's work who impresses me, I like to see if I can match his/her skills... better my own work by learning from the things they do and vice versa (should my work be worthy of learning from). With each pass of the artists they continually get better and better as they hone their skills. Not to "Beat" the other artist, but to match them. When I used the word competition, I meant it in the friendliest of terms. Not at all as how you seemed to have taken it. I respect your art and think you have done wonderful work.

Perhaps this explains it better? Or perhaps not? I know I certainly won't be coming at you guns blazing. I wish you the best of luck and skill in all your future endevors. I also hope there isn't any "bad blood" from you to me... as there is none from me to you. Sorry for any confusion that may have been caused from my lack of explaination. I honestly didn't think you were going to take it how you did.

Sincerely,
Thangor
Old 10-06-2002, 06:55 PM   #12
Casanunda
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Fennin Ro
Send a message via ICQ to Casanunda

Good job dissolving what could have been a bit nasty flame war there, Thang. It was obviously just a misunderstanding. I could tell from reading it at the start that you meant what you just explained, but I guess everyone interprets things differently. You're obviously not stealing ideas, neither of you, neither were you implying that it is being done; you're simply saying that by both of you creating spellbooks, both of you will be compelled to make the best ones you can ^.^ And I'm glad you agree with me on the snout issue, I can't wait to see the new version. No smoke, though; smoke is tricky to animate. Like they say, "Keep it simple, stupid." Now, back to english homework >.<

Edit: I see you've already attached the new version already O.o Nice work, it looks great now. Thanks man! *installs*
Old 10-07-2002, 01:26 PM   #13
Kalthanan
A Hill Giant

Server: Cazic Thule
Default Sensitivity

I think people are getting way too sensitive about things.

If you're that paranoid about people stealing even IDEAS, then don't talk about them or post mockups or release anything but locked executables with pop-up license agreements. Oh and make sure you charge their credit card before they can download.

I think the majority of people release these mods as a service to the community. I thoroughly expect people to take them, mod them, and perhaps re-release them. I ask for some consideration as far as including accreditation, but I know the nature of people.

There is some amazing work being done here, and I believe most people on this board operate in a good atmosphere. There are a few people that make exceptional mods that have things moving at a very rapid pace -- and maybe need to slow down and think about their long-term goals and what they're so hyper about.

Kal
Old 10-07-2002, 06:32 PM   #14
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony

Ok,

my two cents on this..

t.king is an amazing artist... He and I have had long discussions about his work, and what programs, images. and what he uses for inspiration(sp)

Thangnor is ALSO a great artist.. and, and if he see's something that inspires him in a presketch, or moch-up or hell even another UI. and he uses that to make something total different.. well then it *IS* his creation.. and I am sure he is a fair and just man who would give credit to his inspiration.

Tadashya has ALSO done some fantastic stuff.. I have seen her stuff in screen shots from my guildmates on Zeb. and I am sure she is flattered that people have used some of her stuff in game.

but as with the laws of probabilities, it would eventually happen that two people have similair ideas. or even be inspired from the same thing. I dont think many of us could claim "dragons" as an original idea (I think Tolkien was the first, but don't hold me to that)

I only came to this thread because I have gotten some PMs asking me too.. I don't want to see anyone upset..But I also dont want to see enuendo's and suggestions that someone might have stolen "ideas" from someone else..

If you believe that work here is your work, and it has been copied send me a PM or an email and I will check it out. and let me define "Your Work".. Work your created from scratch using no other persons artwork or only purchased artwork legally

If t.king decided to have everyone who has used any of his work pull their stuff from the download section it would damn near empty.

Sooo please.. lets put this behind us and treat it as a growing experience... this site was design to share designs/ideas/work etc.. It would be very sad to hear that 1-3 of our top designers are not going to share anymore...

I pray that this is then end of the stress and we can all go back to making the next great thing.

Kudane
Old 10-07-2002, 06:58 PM   #15
Thomus
Featured Artist

Server: Brell Serilis
Featured Artist
Send a message via Yahoo to Thomus
Default ...

Actually, last night I didn't have a chance to reply due to my ISP/Cable service going down, but I wanted to state that I have no hard feelings against anyone, and I think everyone on this board is doing a fantastic job, my only point coming to respond to this post to begin with, was really to point out I'm not competing with anyone implied or otherwise, I figured the sarcasm "smoke out of it's nose and fire out it's arse" would be detected.

People are allowed to edit my work any way they want to, and use them as a basis for inspiration, I think that is awesome, I have absolutely no problems at all with it, so everyone get back to appreciating each others work, I certainly appreciate everything I have seen on this board.

Keep up the great work, I love coming here to see all of this creativity! it is truely inspirational!

-t.king
http://home.attbi.com/~tomjking

Last edited by Thomus : 10-07-2002 at 07:05 PM.