Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Request
User Name
Password

Old 10-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
dochide
A Fire Beetle

Default Default UI optimized for larger screens, pls

I recently had my monitor die on me and decided to go with a big screen TV instead, something I've been thinking about for awhile now. But I've run into some uncomfortable issues. For one, I'm more blind than I thought I was. While EQ has the ability to change font size and change the size of a lot of boxes and such, they haven't added a general font size adjustment. Least not that I've found. So I'm begging anyone out there with the skills and will and equipment to make a UI that's comfortable to read on large screens from several feet away.

I'm running at 1080p on a 46" from about 7' away and have trouble reading text not in the adjusted chat boxes. I have the chat font set to 6 so it's easy to read, no squinting necessary. Anything else and I have to sit 2'-3' closer to be comfortable. I use some custom pieces, but I don't want to make this just about me. I'd really like to see all the creators make compatible pieces for those like me. Maybe even a section for UI's just for big screens. One can always hope
Thanks for reading and any of you that do add pieces for big screens, a really big thank you.
dochide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
valaury3169
Enhanced Imperial Golem

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Have you tried just using a bigger resolution in game? That would automatically make the font bigger, as would that whole UI piece. You can resize some things to give you back your viewable area.

One of the problesm with a larger font, in some cases, is that the area that the font is displayed is finite. Take the player window for example. If one were to increase the font size of the player name, it may not fit in the window anymore. Or worse yet, wrap.

Changing the font size is fairly easy within the xml. There are tags throughout that affect the text size. They are <font>[some number 1-6]</font> Simply edit the file and change that number and see if you like what you get.

Also, there is a place in Options that changes font... maybe on the Display tab?... I know that you can change the font type in most (if not all) the windows, but I can't recall if you can change the size. Some fonts are slightly larger anyway. Worth a shot.
valaury3169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #3
dochide
A Fire Beetle

I've tried to find some way to increase font size on the options and haven't found anything. Font type, yes, but not size. Also, the higher the resolution, the smaller the text. I can go to a lower res, but then I lose massive amount of viewing area just to get the font increase.

I was looking into trying to edit them myself, but like you said, you don't always have the area to put the text in without changing it's size. And you can't see what you are doing or if there are errors until you load the game. I was hoping for someone out there to have run into the problem and maybe already did the leg work . I'm horrible with this kind of thing, I always mess something else up other then what I'm trying to fix.
dochide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 01:06 PM   #4
Kaner
A Ghoul

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

There is a command to change font size. \ chatfontsize # I think that is it. Replace the pound with a number 1-5

[email protected]
Kaner is offline   Reply With Quote