Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > General authoring help / discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12-22-2002, 06:11 PM   #1
madcat2k1
A Gray Wolf

Default GUI Maps with Crosshair- Most advanced map systems in the works

I'll copy + paste this from my post at another forum. Please excuse me if this sounds like complete randomness or doesn't make any sense as it makes perfect sense to myself and my buddy and we're already have a basic working version (Looks like crap but it works, lol). Try not to flame, because it will just slow down my work and I want to get this out ASAP. This is the first, and probably the last map tool within EQ.

PS. When I say first I mean it's the first TOOL, not just a map displayer. It has multiple functions.

It also doesn't lag like a psycho when you try and display a large image.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post Starting Below
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First of all I would like to note that I have not broken any laws or the EULA at all.
I'm posting here because I would like feedback and you'll be able to catch it at most UI sites (Popular ones) early next month. I've been working on this for a week now (Believe it or not I've only had EQ a week also) and should be ready for testing in early/mid Jan.

Before you tell me to stop spamming and post useless info, let me get to my point-

How would you like a UI addon that not only shows the map but if you hit the locate button a crosshair calculates your exact /loc and points EXACTLY where you are on the map in a birds eye view, making it possible to see EXACTLY where you are located in a Canyon or somewhere confusing. I'm talking about maps from EQAtlas.com if I get the permission from Muse. Ofcourse the size would be smaller and about 300x300 pixels in size so it doesn't clog your screen. Much like a minimap.

First thing you may be saying is- "Wrong forum" or "Impossible!". Well let me tell you it's not! I won't go into details because I don't want someone stealing my idea because it's in early/mid stages right now but I can assure you it's going well.

The Advantages :-

1) No need to /loc and run to check a map on another computer or if using EQW alt-tab out and try to compare. Just hit the button and a crosshair will appear at the location over the map. This is NOT a basic addon and my friend is helping me code the whole thing, which I owe him most credit to be honest.

2) You can keep hitting the button with a hotkey and it will actually look like a minimap from something like Diablo 2. When you move, the crosshair moves.

3) It's easy to use

4) It's ofcourse, free to download.

----------

Disadvantages :-

1) Had enough yet? Bored of my post? Sure thing but this is the most WANTED and most hardest there has to be out there. In able to not break the EULA I have had limit it to one resolution, which is 1024x768 (Mainly because I have to map each pixel out and sub pixels).

2)It's going to be a whopping 10Mb download file, mainly because of the amount of images included crosshair locations, once again this had to be done to not break any EULA.

3) You have to first select the map through a tabs, which can take up to 30 seconds to find the actual map you are in. Although once you have found it and clicked it the second box will open and you can then get started.

------------------------------

Technical Info :-

Well as you can see it looks pretty good/bad so far, and the main problem has been keeping to the EULA. I could easily make a third party tool but that breaks my own rules, which is to NOT alt-tab out in the first place. Not all want to use EQW anyway. And no I don't use EQW before you ask, I use my own GUI full of all the info I need for maps/recipes/etc.

Anyway technically the way this is done is not logical and not very smart and takes long amounts of times. My friend has written a tool to help generate the pixels against the location in EQ sized worlds.

For example, let's say an area is 5000x5000 then use a basic calculation and create our maps as 300x300 (Doesn't make sense, does it? You'll understand when I post more further into development). Now instead of using 1,2,3,4 pixels we use sub-pixels.

In the method of 15 map pixels per 1 EQ Map pixels (As I call them)

5000 divided between 15 = about 333 pixels

5000 x 5000 = 333x333 map pixels, and overlay pixels (for the crosshair). That's for one map, and right now it may not make sense. Let's just say EACH coding is the part where we must make EQ understand our own method of sub-pixels, so it can translate and display them correctly. Once again this doesn't break the EULA.

AHhhh I'm too tired to type right now but let me tell you it's COMING pretty soon and may even release a test 1 day before the New Year as a gift for everyone.

This project hasn't been layed out easily for myself or my friend, so if we can't make out any sense in things above (Such as getting it in game for everyone and making it actually work) is a complicated problem. Do you guys want this GUI addon or not? It has taken 60 hours out of me already working on only 15 maps (YES I know there's loads more to do yet) and like I said it's very complicated getting this ingame for everyone below 10 megs. We also have to use individual images (Some containing 300x300).

While you may understand that a pixel is JUST a pixel, which is 1, that is very true but when you're like me and steve we try to think beyond what will actually happen. In other words, while EQ only understands pixels by 1, we can basically guess where the person will be depending on the location. We will release a pack later on that will enable high quality maps at 900x900 pixels which will help the system guess.

The crosshair will aim at 60% of your true location as of right now, but it's better then nothing, correct? Larger maps = Better prediction, so in the coming weeks we may even release one that is greater then what you can use by implimenting a 4000x4000 image if the engine can handle that and using scrollbars on somthing such as the "Help Window" so you can scroll around the whole map.

This sounds like garbage to you I bet but for myself and my friend Steve, we may be both new to EQ but what more then to release one of the BIG UI for EQ in our playing time such as a month (Time it gets released).

Big packs will be over 30 megs compressed, sadly. As there are many maps. We already have a slight working version and I'll probably post screenshots soon for you to see it in action. The images aren't exactly high quality and are in black and white at the moment for testing purposes but that's one of the biggest steps we've made, actually getting the crosshair to aim at 100 positions on a 200x200 EQ sized map.

Questions, COmments would be nice and try and keep the flames down. I know this map be a bad place to post this but I want to try and suprise all the big UI sites when I suddenly release it.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Here's another follow up to my original post
------------------------------------------------------------

Wow I just typed a msg bigger then the last one and all my text got deleted when my puter booted down..UGH
I had all proper details in there.

Let me be quick on this one.

Let's say a game map is around 2000x2000

When you move forward a tad you move by 15 game pixels (As we like to call them). Our images are made of 1 pixel and then we do a 2000 divided by 15 = around 130 (I suck at math sorry lol). Our images are 300 pixels so thus if we put 15 pixels to 1 image pixel we can fit in perfectly with the accuracy. Um, I just re-read that it looks a little messed up. What I'm trying to say is simply put a game pixel is bigger then an image pixel and we can fit the crosshair in the image to fit the game map (Which is alot smaller if you translate it to image pixels).

This is just off the top of my head though so I can't prove that unless I try it out later, which it should work out fine.

If you're asking about the crosshair, it's quite simple really.

You may be thinking that in order to get it in we have to create EVERY image with the crosshair 1 pixel distance in each direction..NOT TRUE!!! While that would be the logical way to do it it's a damn stupid way. Who wants to download a 400 meg file? LOL

I won't let anyone in on the secret just yet but let's just say we're using a trick to overlay the crosshair within EQ itself.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's about time someone came along and did something like this, and I'm glad now that I can finally put my skills to use and prove that even NOOBS (To EQ) can create one of the biggest projects out there. And yes my friends, this is going to be the biggest UI out there as well. A few days or a week later after proper public release I'll be releasing a proper GUI version as well.

More encourgement = Faster release

By the way I'll be glad when I do finish this thing because it's been nothing but hell starting EQ with nothing at all. So when I release a 100% working and 90% accurate version I expect those EQ donations to be coming in!!! Lol only kidding but seriously a thanks is all I'll require for my work. This should of been done ages ago when it could have.

Last edited by madcat2k1 : 12-22-2002 at 06:21 PM.
madcat2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 08:25 PM   #2
madcat2k1
A Gray Wolf

Update:

Working on two versions, because of more people using window mode and will be after sony adds it to the live servers I'll create the same thing outside of EQ (An app) in less then 5 hours when I get up tomorrow. Anyone interested let me know.

Crosshair navigation in Visual C++ and GUI in Visual Basic
Old 12-22-2002, 08:34 PM   #3
Chronwaas
Skinner Extraordinaire

Server: Saryrn
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Wow!

Hey if you guys can pull this off and get it release I think we will all be reveling in it. We are looking forward to this in either version and if there is any encouragement that you need or assistance I think there are plenty here that would be more than happy to lend a hand in any way possible to help get this to production.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:59 PM   #4
madcat2k1
A Gray Wolf

Thanks and I also would like to not this will not break any of the EULA, unlike macro bots like Xyn-something with the built in map. Horrible quality too. Although I can get it to read from the log file, my main mission is to do on-the-fly updating, this can be done by reading from the log at the location while it's being spammed every 200 ms (/loc)

This is, ofcourse an option and should not be used when chatting. Working on a way around this right now without reading from logs and spamming /loc
Old 12-22-2002, 11:06 PM   #5
mortis42
eqmods.mortis42.net

Server: Rodcet Nife
Send a message via ICQ to mortis42 Send a message via AIM to mortis42 Send a message via MSN to mortis42 Send a message via Yahoo to mortis42

I'd be very interested in this.

Get a Beta version up here for open debugging asap and I'll run it.
mortis42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 07:35 AM   #6
Yelara
A Shissar Defiler

Server: ayonae ro
Send a message via ICQ to Yelara Send a message via AIM to Yelara Send a message via Yahoo to Yelara

Sounds like a great idea.

Regardless of how it looks give us a test version to play around with and we can help you debug it.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:42 AM   #7
Trevelyen
A Ghoul

Send a message via AIM to Trevelyen Send a message via Yahoo to Trevelyen
Default Crossed hairs?

This sounds like an incredible idea and i cannot wait for you to complete it. one idea that i think is realativly good is, if you could find a way to "engage" the mapping crosshairs, and "disengage" it (spelling wrong probably) so if you just want the map of the zone or what ever you could just say oh look, there is the ruins if i follow this wall ill be killed but if i go this way ill be okay. also use of map takes away from the fun of finding out that 30 ft away from the entrance is 90 lvl 79 gods of destruction or something. but i want you to finish now... FASTER!!! hehe goodluck, dont let the deBugs bite :

oh and im now a druid of the sevnth ring 3rd circle (lvl 37) yeay!
Druid of the 5th ring of the 4th circle
Brell Serilis
Trevelyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 10:51 AM   #8
grottel
Grimling Code Editor

Server: Xev

I'm pretty skeptical -
Have much more I'm NOT saying but will leave comment at that.
grottel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 01:44 PM   #9
onetwo1212
Silly Necro

Server: Tribunal
Send a message via AIM to onetwo1212
Default I love it

If you can actually pull this off, you will be the most famous noob on EQ. Heck, I'll even get a group together to PL you to 50 if you can pull this off.
onetwo1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 11:44 PM   #10
madcat2k1
A Gray Wolf

Pretty skeptical about what?

If you think I'm just BS'ing tell me now. I enjoy proving people wrong and I also have some updates.

The current version is Test Alpha 2.0 and currently there are a few things that are in it (The base of the project, that is).

There currently covers 20 of the most popular maps 10 being cities. Also the only way you can update this is by turning logging on and hitting a hotkey that does /loc which targets the crosshair on the actual location. While this map not be cool it is all that can be done in such little time.

Still working on translating game sizes between pixel sizes and should have an update pretty soon. Who knows, I may release a debug version on xmas day if you're all good guys and girls and haven't made santa angry

The crosshair is a Green/Lime color and I have made some modifications to some of the maps.

Alot of people have said that they have a binder with all the maps in it, hell I do, but are you trying to tell me by opening the binder, finding the page and calculating your exact location can beat something that does it in under 5 seconds?

Well I have gotten a few emails from people saying this is impossible to do and I'll be glad when I release a version for everyone to use and send off bug findings to me.

[email protected] if you have any comments or questions. Let's just say this- I'm not going to hold any strings here. If it's not released before the new year then you know I'm full of BS and can flame my name or email me with whatver insults you have.

I know it works, I have worked on it and seen it in action with my own eyes. My friend Steve has helped alot, also looking at it in action. It works as planned so far. I am, however looked for a couple of artists to help with a GUI. Anyone with excellent photoshop skills and willing to help out on a GUI and even a website will get access to this sooner then others and be able to join as part of the development team (Just 2 so far). If you have any ideas send along an email (make sure it's possible to do, not impossible) and if I use the idea i'll be sure to add you to the credits/team.

Want screenshots? Sure thing give me a couple of days at the most and they'll be here. I may do this on the actual day I release it just to get people excited.

Thanks for reading and keep the feedback coming. So far it replaces most of the help screen.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:46 PM   #11
madcat2k1
A Gray Wolf

Wow can't edit my own post. Ps grottel email me and I'll show you exactly what we've done so far and send along the .xml's for you to take a look at if your so interested.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:56 PM   #12
Altairwolf
A Ghoul

Server: The Rathe
Send a message via ICQ to Altairwolf Send a message via AIM to Altairwolf
Thumbs up Suggestion....

Is there a way to make it an arrow instead of cross-hair, with the arrow pointing the direction that you are facing... probalby not cause it would have to use 2 /locs in sucession to get a baseline direction.

Just an idea.
Altairwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 02:29 PM   #13
Elindel
A Tundra Mammoth

Send a message via AIM to Elindel

Hmmm, what it would take to do this is save all the maps to a directory, and specify which one to load based on the last "You have entered" entry in the logfile. Then turn the pet window or whatever into a clear, borderless window with a cross hair drawn in it, and have your third party app set the loc it appears at in your ini file. It creates the correct xml file for the map (probably in the help window) and updates the loc in the INI every 10 seconds or so.

It poses several problems since maps aren't designed with 0, 0 in the upper left hand corner. You'd want to adjust your maps so that your overlay would always be in the same place for the same loc no matter the map.

Just make the maps so 0, 0 is always at 300, 300 would be the easiest and make the maps a 1:10 scale. So -1000 , 1000 would get changes to -100, 100 and have 300, 300 added to draw the overlay at 200, 400.

At first I was thinking that's a violation of the EULA, but I'm not so sure. It doesn't do anything that isn't currently okay. Verant has said reading the logfile is okay haven't they? Stuff like EQCompanion? It doesn't change anything, just seperates and does math. And changing stuff in the UI while in game is fine. And they said loading maps in a UI is fine.

So your hotkey would just be a loadskin hotkey. I can't really see any reason that wouldn't work. It would be slow due to the pause when reloading the UI. Interesting.
Elindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 02:57 PM   #14
sc2kmayor
An_Arcane_Lurker

Server: Mithaniel Marr <The Mages of The Mist>

OK, so it uses the log file.
1) Hit the hotkey 1 as you zone which pops up a file select window to force choosing the map.
2) Hiht hotkey two which opens log, pause 1 second, /loc /sense heading
3) Map window opens with crosshair and overlay arrow pointing your direction.
sc2kmayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2002, 03:19 PM   #15
Dolby
Lord Dolby of Veeshan

Server: Veeshan

Quote:
Originally posted by madcat2k1
Update:

Working on two versions, because of more people using window mode and will be after sony adds it to the live servers I'll create the same thing outside of EQ (An app) in less then 5 hours when I get up tomorrow. Anyone interested let me know.

Crosshair navigation in Visual C++ and GUI in Visual Basic

Any 3rd party application that modifies the game in any way will go against the EULA. EQGui.com and EQInterface.com will have no part in this. Any links to these programs or attachments will be removed.

Also to any one that downloads an exe/vbs file... you can never be sure its not a password sniffer unless you compile it your self from the source code.
Dolby is offline   Reply With Quote