User Name
Password

Old 01-30-2003, 02:38 PM   #1
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default One More Time

For those New to the User Interface World, or for those who simply refuse to read the things we post on the site for tips and help..

NEVER COPY YOUR DEFAULT FOLDER!!!
or tell others to do this as the first step to install a mod!!!

SOE Updated the UI in September so that any files not found in the UI Folder would be used from the default folder automatically.
You will see it in HUNDREDS of UI Eror logs, where it doesn't find a file and pulls from default.. this is not technically an error, as it is designed to do that..

BUT
If you DO copy your default folder, and they make a change to a XML or TGA file that is not included in the Mod your using, you WILL CRASH and the author of the Mod will have no idea why, since all his files work fine!!

I am sorry if this seems harsh but I have gotten several emails, PMs, and even two files uploaded where this was either the problem, or written as instructions to do..

- Kudane
Kudane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 07:14 PM   #2
Duryn
A Fire Beetle

Server: Rodcet Nife

Ok, if we were dumb enough to copy the default folder, what should we do? Delete it and patch?
Duryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 08:46 PM   #3
Chronwaas
Skinner Extraordinaire

Server: Saryrn

It is not being dumb, You were just going on out dated info.

The best thing to do would be to delete your files from the skin dir and replace them with just the files from the skin zip file. But if you do this you will most likely also have to readd any patches you have done since the last patch or so. So be prepared to do a little xml editing if necessary.

But if you have any problems with it just paste your uierrors.txt error message in here and we will help you work them out.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:47 PM   #4
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Yup. Delete everything in your custom folder. Then re-unzip the mod you want into your custom folder again.

Heh, what ChronWaas said. *grin*

Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Cairenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:50 AM   #5
Lorrac77
A Gray Wolf

Server: Quellious

So Basicly you guys are saying you cant mix and match ? Cuz I dont now you to mix and match any other way then copying default file and adding the skins you like to it by replaceing some of the files.
Lorrac77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:58 AM   #6
tadashya
Pixel Pusher

Server: erollisi marr
Send a message via ICQ to tadashya Send a message via AIM to tadashya

EQ Looks to the designated UISKIN (vert, quartz, myui, etc) directory first and then the Default folder. Anything NOT in that designated directory it will THEN PICK from the Default folder.

For every file (with the single exception of the EQGUI.xml, I believe..) it must pluck from the Default folder it generates an 'error message' in the UIERRORS.TXT file. These are not actually errors. The fact that is lists them, to me, makes no sense whatsoever.

So, yes you can mix and match to hearts content as long as your mixing and matching things dont overwrite each other. EQ will find the rest.

Original Artwork by Tadashya my current favorite sig slice
tadashya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 04:46 AM   #7
Lorrac77
A Gray Wolf

Server: Quellious

ok I feel stupid now

But I got everything working now thanks for the info guys I am still new at this stuff
Lorrac77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 07:30 AM   #8
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Absolutely no reason to feel stupid friend. We all had to learn too.

Asking questions is fine, no one minds that in the slightest. In fact, it's better if you DO ask questions. And *asking* the questions, reading the answers, looking around at things like the FAQ and making use of the Search function, that's how you learn, same as the rest of us.
Cairenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 12:17 PM   #9
Darlok
A Ghoul

Well I have to admit, that one of those files uploaded this way was probably mine. I am pretty new to the scene...probably 3 or so weeks to be exact. I typically am self-taught with everything when it comes to computers, starting when I was a teenager writing my own BBS in BASIC - being content with 300baud x-fers. That said, I know other people are this way, and when "reverse" engineering the default folder, you learn that these files are needed to run your UI.

My Problem: I have attempted loading only those "modified" files (xml's, tga's for my own UI) from it's own directory only to find that it completely resets my UI_Charname_## file Luckily I have always kept a backup when modifying my own XML's because it's a real pain to line everything back up again.

My Question: Is there a SPECIFIC file that MUST be present in any new directory...such as EQUI, SIDL or the such? I realize that Sony changed things back in Sept to read from the default folder if something isnt found....are there any files that this is not the case with?

Sorry for the newbish questions, but I'd like to get this right so I can "give back" some to the community. I've already learned the XML in the last couple weeks (simple programming really), but I really havnt learned the basics of the UI engine. I'll keep wading through "search" for my answers, but in the meantime any replies would be most welcome. Thanks in advance for your time.

Darlok
Darlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 12:47 PM   #10
Tenjhai
A Bat

Server: Solesek Ro

I still really don't understand. What I do is when there is a patch and I either crash or don't get an error message, I just make a new copy of the default file, and put the custom UI files back into this. Am I still doing something wrong? It has worked everytime, with no error messages, so I figured I was doing it right. I heard you are NEVER supposed to put custom UI files into the default folder so this is the only way I could see doing it.
Tenjhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 02:56 PM   #11
tadashya
Pixel Pusher

No your custom UI folder can exist with just windows_pieces_01.tga in it and that can be the entire mod.

or just compass..

or compass and spellbook, etc.

in other words.. when you say

/loadskin myui 1

EQ inventories the first EQGUI.xml it comes across. Essentially its shopping list. EQ will then go shopping in your designated custom UI folder first.

whatever it doesnt find, it will return to the Default folder and take everything else it needs from there.

The problem lies in that when you copy everything (especially the EQGUI) from the Default folder to your custom UI . When SOE patches and changes some of those files. (or adds them) EQ will 'fill its shopping list' in your custom UI folder and never go back to the Default to get what it should, the game doesnt see everything it needs to. Hence you crash.

ps. some mods do designate their own 'shopping lists' but it the author's responsibility to keep it updated. But that's another matter.

(pardon while I tweak my language for this post.. )
Ok there I think I got it the way I want it now
(ok I lied but now I am done editing.. promise.)

Last edited by tadashya : 01-31-2003 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:15 PM   #12
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony

Tadashya put it best...

the error log that says "cant find XXXXX loading from default" is just letting you know "Couldnt find the item in K-Mart Grabbing it From Target" (to use her example)

and darlok if you use the command /loadskin without the "1" on it /loadskin 1 (or /loadskin true) it will ALWAYS reset your windows..

BUT now that the menu is fixed you can type /loadskin bring up the menu and click "use default" off, and it will keep your windows where they are..

And the bold letters are not directed at anyone.. it was just to get peoples attention..

.: Have a question? Read this :.
[ F.A.Q ]
Kudane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 03:21 PM   #13
tadashya
Pixel Pusher

yeah I was debating using colors.. but I was already on my fourth edit
Old 01-31-2003, 07:11 PM   #14
Darlok
A Ghoul

Kudane,

After the patch that fixed the Loadskin in-game, I havnt used /loadskin 1...just been going through options menu.

I load different skins all the time (especially when testing my new work) and havnt had my UI_toonname_## file reset EVER, until I tried putting ONLY my modified files alone in another folder and tried to load that UI folder....maybe some coincidence I guess.

I'll try to replicate my problem and I'll paste the error log if successfull. If not, there wont be any worries) Thanks for the response. I'll be sure to use the "help" section to continue on this if needed.

Darlok
Darlok is offline   Reply With Quote