Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > General authoring help / discussion
User Name
Password

Old 07-30-2007, 03:54 PM   #1
Fyrecaster
A Hill Giant

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Target Ring Help Needed

Currently, I am working on a target ring design that incorporates several different aspects. In the past I have modified Lodidodi's rotating target ring and I currently am using that revision, only because my first attempt at what I am working on failed.

Why did it fail? Simply put what I tried to do was incorporate a design that used solid color graphics with my guild's logo, and implemented the rotation of Lodidodi's targetring for each color. The result: it worked. The problem: it resulted in having 56 graphic files, 8 for each color. In a word OUCH. This ate up virtual memory like nothing else, not from lack of processor power, graphics or ram, the problem didn't really show up until I went into some very memory intensive zones. Ocean of tears literally crashed my system anytime I would try zoning in while using the targetring design. So temporarily I have reverted back to my revision of Lodidodi's targetring.

My question for those who have more knowledge than I in this part is:

Is there a way to create a animated .gif type file saved as a .tga with all the graphics for rotation within it, so that I would only have to have 7 images instead of 56?
Fyrecaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
Fyrecaster
A Hill Giant

Also once I can figure out how to resolve this problem, I plan on uploading a blank template, customizeable for your own guilds logo. So any and all help or ideas are appreciated.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
Nitaka
Premium Member

Server: AB

Well,
the problem will be that eq expects a .tga graphic and will decode it to be displayed, using another format and renaming it wouldn't work cause it would be treated as if it were a .tga file.
On the other hand animated gif files use multiple gifs which are displayed like a movie so you would need to convert your .tga files to .gif and create a gif animation from them, doubt if it would save much space and even if it would work the graphics would be decoded and stored in memory which I believe would take the same ammount of space as your .tga files

A space saving method would be to create one set of animated .tga with white color and work with the RGB values in the ini to give them the appropiate con colour. That at least should give you just one set of .tga files instead of 8
Nitaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:08 AM   #4
Fyrecaster
A Hill Giant

Actually that was exactly what I had done, I was just hoping that someone out there may have knwon a way to have these awe inspiring target rings to be able to work mork effecienctly. Oh well guess its back to the 56 image set if I want my custom target ring that uses my guilds logo and has rotation and seperate con colors/graphics. Oh well what a way to bum my life high.