Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > Graphics modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 11-06-2003, 11:16 AM   #1
kenney
Bad Ass Kitty

Server: if you know me you know =P
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default The Ring

is there a way to make the target ring a round dot? andis there a way to make this smaller like just under the feet?
kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 01:50 PM   #2
Vitaee
Enhanced Imperial Golem

I have a similar question. Instead of pulsing back and forth from a small circle to a big circle, can I get the indicator ring to stay as a small circle?? Alternatively, can I get it to pulse back and forth between a small and medium sized circle??
Vitaee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 01:57 PM   #3
Lilcure
A Snow Griffin

Server: Cazic-Thule

Was playing around with this a bit on my lunch break, I was able to make one solid circle. That was pretty easy I just made the entire .tga file one shade of grey. Going to try to think through a way to make it go from small to large.
Cazic Thule
Lilcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 04:28 PM   #4
Empere
A Hill Giant

I did a *bunch* of hacking on this last night. Thus far I am unable to reverse the scrolling but I'm still playing around. Took me a bit to figure out you ahve to restart EQ to make the changes take effect.

TargetIndicator.tga is read from left (0,0) to right (256,0).
TargetIndicator.ini and .tga are loaded ONLY upon reload of the CLIENT. You must cam and quit (or /camp desktop) to make changes and see their effects. I snipped the header and a sample section out of TargetIndicator.ini:

[TargetIndicator]
FadeStart=10 ; haven't messed with these yet
FadeEnd=20 ; ""
OpaqueStart=1 ; ""
OpaqueEnd=1.5 ; ""
InitialLength=1 ; doesn't seem to do much
GrowSpeed=1 ; didn't play with it
FloorOffset=0.5 ; does nothing that I could see
Additive=1 ; haven't fiddled with it
PointCount=12 ; sets the number of points on the periphery of the ring

[Trivial] ; this is the init section for "green" mobs"
Texture=TargetIndicator
TwistFactor=1.0 ; "Twist" is a factor of Radial warping, approaching the target.
TwistSpeed=0.0 ; amplitude of radial warping. Try very low values.
FrameCount=0
Duration=0
TextureScale=.1 ; use values (< 1). larger values scale down the texture (texture appears smaller and more frequent)
TextureSpeed=0.001 ; scroll speed approaching the target (again, left to right across the tex)
ScaleMin=0.5 ; These didn't do much
ScaleMax=1.5 ; ""
ScaleSpeed=1.0 ; ""
Alpha=240 ; self explanatory from here...
Red=0
Green=255
Blue=0

Hopefully someone can make the other details make sense.

Cheers!!
~E
who plays on Povar.
Empere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 06:10 PM   #5
Vitaee
Enhanced Imperial Golem

Two things I can add to Empere's explanation:

Quote:
GrowSpeed=1 ; didn't play with it

This seems to control the "intensity" of the ring. With a value of 1, the ring was very bright. With a value of 0, the ring was very faint and barely visible.

Quote:
TwistFactor=1.0 ; "Twist" is a factor of Radial warping, approaching the target

When set to a value of 0, the ring is "stable". That is, rather than pulsing and/or growing/shrinking, you get a solid "donut".

Keep it up, we'll figure this silly thing out yet.

[Edited to correct a typo]
Vitaee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 03:06 AM   #6
Etasi
A Treant

Server: Veeshan

Additive changes the opacity of the ring. Additive = 0 makes the ring completely opaque in the center (if you stop the ring from pulsing, you'll notice that the ring has two parts: a fade on the inside and outside edge, and an "opaque" center).

Played around with FadeStart/End, OpaqueStart/End, and InitialLength, and really couldn't see any effect from any of them.

It also seems as though GrowSpeed only accepts values of 0 or 1. Setting it in between defaults it to the intensity you get with it set to 1, from what I can tell.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:23 PM   #7
Trebax
A Gray Wolf

Server: The Tribunal

Texturespeed controls the speed of the "loop" or "pulse" of the animation. 0.001 is normal speed. 0.01 is quite fast (and actually too fast in my opinion, kinda annoying). You can probably get some wild strobe effects as this number approaches 1, but I've never tried.

Also, I wonder what would happen if you made that number negative...wonder if that would change the direction of the animation or pulsing.
Trebax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 05:29 PM   #8
issey
A Tundra Mammoth

Server: fv, stormhammer

Is the method of changing the circle to static (non-pulsating) easy to explain? If so, please lead this computer novice thru the hoops, grin. Thanks
Old 11-13-2003, 12:02 PM   #9
Panamah
A Ghoul

Quote:
TargetIndicator.ini and .tga are loaded ONLY upon reload of the CLIENT. You must cam and quit (or /camp desktop) to make changes and see their effects.

Actually, I found using /indic on /indic off works just fine without camping! /cheer
Panamah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 02:56 PM   #10
kenney
Bad Ass Kitty

Server: if you know me you know =P

hmm have to try that..
kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 07:23 PM   #11
tephrox
A Ghoul

Send a message via ICQ to tephrox Send a message via AIM to tephrox Send a message via Yahoo to tephrox

Quote:
Originally posted by issey
Is the method of changing the circle to static (non-pulsating) easy to explain? If so, please lead this computer novice thru the hoops, grin. Thanks

Yep, you can do it easily by setting TextureSpeed=0.001 to 0.000 for each color =) That'll get it to stop scrolling. You can download an existing target ring for refence if you'd like. I'm pretty sure the Static Target ring one doesn't scroll, and the Techa ones I made don't scroll either (but they have other stuff changed which might be confusing, since I hardly know what I'm doing =P)

Setting the TextureSpeed to a negative number does work, so -0.001 (negative default) would be a good number to try.

The Texture=something.tga is a very nice line. It allows for multiple textures to be used for a targeting ring, one per color. So you could have red cons have a bunch of hearts spreading out around them, while having blue cons have a bunch of popcicles or something.

The TextureScale=0.1 tells it how much of the .tga to show in one ring size. It works like TextureScale=X, so it'll show X(256) pixels from the left at one time, and scroll from there at the speed given. This means that if you set it to 0.1, which is the default, it'll show 0.1(256), or 25.6 pixels from the left. This works well if you're making a static texture, or a higher detail texture, since it can squeeze more pixels into the ring at once. So rather than stretching the graphic out and showing 26 pixels at a time, you could have it show 128 pixels at once instead, which is much more detailed. The only risk is that there's the possibility that it will squish it down to fit the ring, but I don't know if it does that.

You can also set TextureScale to a negative number, and it'll start the image from the right side and scroll right to left instead. that's kinda pointless though =P
tephrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 07:33 PM   #12
tephrox
A Ghoul

Send a message via ICQ to tephrox Send a message via AIM to tephrox Send a message via Yahoo to tephrox

More findings!

Alpha channels don't work with the target ring. If they do, I don't know how, because I put an alpha channel onto mine and it didn't work =P The only alpha is that black = transparent and white = solid, it seems. With additive=1, that is. Additive=0 makes everything opaque, and seems to be the only way to get black to show up =P

Oh, hey, this thread already has all this stuff =P
http://www.eqgui.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=58631
Old 11-13-2003, 08:11 PM   #13
issey
A Tundra Mammoth

Bless you tephrox! The link above didn't work for me, no clue why. Just did the change you mentioned - rather painless too, grin, and it worked. A solid ring of color! Now my eyes won't twitch, lol.
Thanks, off to play with the other settings. You might want to copy your notes into a post under the tutorials. (hint hint)
issey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 08:42 PM   #14
issey
A Tundra Mammoth

Oops, lol, spoke way to soon. Now I have no ring no matter what ui I use, or camping to desktop, etc. Managed to get my ring back by removing all the files and letting eq send me new ones. I'm gonna stop for the night and play with it more tomorrow. Nothing showed up in my uierrors file, btw.
issey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 10:22 PM   #15
tephrox
A Ghoul

Dunno, the link works for me, hehe. It's here:
EQGUI Forums > Developer Discussion > Tutorials & Info. > Graphics Tutorials & Info. > 3D Target Indicator Information

And the post I linked to already has way more information than anything I have to post =P It was posted by Roger Sewell, a tech support guy =P So, that covers just about everything having to do with the targeting ring. Although I still can't get it to not fade, and a few other things. Oh well =P