Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > Graphics modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 08-13-2002, 04:23 PM   #1
Pure
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Torvonnilous
Talking Spellbooks and those Tedious FOUR .tga files - NO MORE!

I am tweaking my files and such as I type this and will post more information very soon.

However, I have successfullly combined the four spellbook.tga files to ONE 512x 512 image to make editing MUCH easier.

In doing this you can save that 512 x 512 image as any name you like and add the needed info in the SAME EQUI_SpellBookWnd.xml
The information posted here about placing animation and /or other information in the same file has saved me so many headaches lately

If for some reason all efforts to edit you files fail and you just gotta play quickly just edit out all the old information and copy and paste from default folder and voila your back in business until your nerves calm back down

==============================================

The files I am gathering are some pics using what I have done and changed EQUI_SpellBookWnd.xml and few other files and/or links to get some nice stuff to play around with

BRB

Quick Pic of In the Works:

Okie Dokie

Here is the Spellbook it has only TWO files
1) - EQUI_SpellBookWnd.xml
2) - psb2.tga [512 x 512 image] (Instead of 4 spellbook.tga files)
Pure Spellbook Mod
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
If you want the bluish tint background along w/ all the fixin's like:
1) - Bluish Tint background and slot background works great when fade at 50 or so.
2) - Modified versions of Player - Group - Target
3) - Small Buff Icon window - Horizontal SpellGems - Hot w/ Inv
4) - Sword cursor w/ Skull Icon in place of boring square box

Pure Mod

Note: I put Guild name in Hotbox but that can be changed easily. If cannot find just tell me what needed I'll be glad to send personal for you

Hmm, any additional information I am working on, but that looks like it so far. In dealing with the code this is what I did for pic, but for font color and placement of icons and names will have to look at . xml

Quote:
<TextureInfo item = "psb2.tga">
<Size>
<CX>512</CX>
<CY>512</CY>
</Size>
</TextureInfo>

<Ui2DAnimation item = "PSB">
<Frames>
<Texture>psb2.tga</Texture>
<Location>
<X>0</X>
<Y>0</Y>
</Location>
<Size>
<CX>472</CX>
<CY>311</CY>
</Size>
</Frames>
</Ui2DAnimation>

<StaticAnimation item = "PSB">
<ScreenID>PSB</ScreenID>
<RelativePosition>true</RelativePosition>
<Location>
<X>17</X>
<Y>0</Y>
</Location>
<Size>
<CX>472</CX>
<CY>311</CY>
</Size>
<Animation>PSB</Animation>
</StaticAnimation>

The SpellBook belongs to T. King:
T.King Custom Skins and Icons

Last edited by Pure : 08-13-2002 at 07:35 PM.
Pure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 03:04 AM   #2
guice
Keeper of the Hampster

Server: Mithaniel Marr
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via AIM to guice Send a message via Yahoo to guice

Makes you wonder why VI split them up into 4 images originally.... hrmmm
http://www.chronology-guild.org/
guice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 04:05 AM   #3
Wolfran
A Tundra Mammoth

Because the spellbook#.tga files are also used when viewing "book" items in game.

I found that out when I opened up a Shaded Tome and saw Oguler's skin all mangled with some hard to read writing positioned strangely upon it
Old 08-14-2002, 01:22 PM   #4
Gendal
A Treant

Some video cards crap out with 512x512 textures, multiple 256x256 is quite a bit easier for them. So for some people this might not work at all or be horribly slow, though what percentage they are I have no idea.

There also seems to be a bug/strange way with how the equi handles static animations and their associated tga files. Note how the bottom of the book is squished in comparison to the actual files. The texture and ui2d frames indicate this should not happen because they specify a section of the texture to copy from. Instead the static animation scales to the original frame's size, causing the bottom to be squished. At least if I am understanding it correctly.
Gendal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2002, 04:31 PM   #5
Pure
A Shissar Disciple

Question Squished?

In dealing with squished images - I have never seen any of the spellbooks seem to be squished anywhere on graphic or file. My file is 512 x 512 which technically I could make the image that big, but leaving at T.Kings original size of his Spellbooks which are a tad bigger then the other ones.

I am going in to detail and doing various tests to check out this method of having just one combined image.
Even with an image 512 x 512 it shouldnt cause anyones computer to mess up. If the computer can handle game as is, but some do have to tone down their settings and should do fine.

In dealing with the Spellbook.tga files this would be a GREAT way to modify your spellbook and leave the other files alone and MAYBE even make a separate Book graphic compared to looking like a spellbook. Will take some time to fully get the hang of everything.

In the long run I see this may have great potential. I am doing tests with showing borders and title and different spell and text placements. I have already made 512 x 512 images of all the T. Kings Spellbooks ready to go
Trying to contact him and I am doing so with others as well

I'll do anything I can to try and make Spellbook editing and such easier and looks like may have found a way to have different looks for the Book when opened also

So the testing goes on
Old 08-20-2002, 10:56 PM   #6
sum1ntheus
A Hill Giant

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default how can you...

I was wondering if it would be possible to take this spell book backround with the spells still coming up as they did in the original spellbook? I have tried several things to make this work with no success. I really like this new spellbook that has been created but I don't like the way it places the icons and descriptions of the spells.

Thanks.
sum1ntheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 02:52 AM   #7
DiosT
A Fire Beetle

a image with a 512 pixle width doesnt work if you use the 640x480 screen resolution, since the next smallest power of 2 is 256, by spliting it into 4 pictures they could fill the desired space more easily.. instead of having a realllly small spellbook

least thats my theory =p but i think im partially on the money at least
Moderator: EQBeastlord Forums
DiosT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 10:35 PM   #8
Pure
A Shissar Disciple

Wink Lower Resolutions and future changes of this Mod

Sorry for those that have the smaller display resolutions and/ or lesser graphic cards abilities

I am currently working on various changes to how the spells are displayed and I am also considering another version of the spellbook using TWO files instead of the original FOUR, and my Single 512 x 512 .tga file version.

Also, sticking to using the spellbook like T.King has designed. In T. Kings posts I have seen him reply that future work for a UI will stick to the Genre of the EQ world. I agree with him totally and this is the reason I like to have an actual spellbook open instead of just some window that lists spells. That justs takes away from the feeling of being a caster

Old 09-04-2002, 09:21 PM   #9
Kiriani
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Saryrn
Send a message via ICQ to Kiriani Send a message via AIM to Kiriani Send a message via Yahoo to Kiriani

I have been trying to recreate the effect you have done here. Originally I used the default tking set, and modified the locations for the pieces in the SpellBookWnd xml file. I had a nice book with no border, etc.

Now, I put the images al together on a 512x512 tga file, used the code from your example, BUT, the graphic is not centered, and in fact runs off the side as well as having a black border that I can't seem to get rid of.

Suggestions?
Kiriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 11:09 AM   #10
Woody
GUComics Creator

Roy Eltham explained the need to keep graphics no larger than 256 as being an old video card issue.

I do not remember the make and model, and the vast majority of folks will NEVER have the problem, but some old video cards can't handle anything more that 256 in one direction. So if you tell it to use a 512 image, it smishes it down to 256 then stretches it back up to 512. Which really jacks with image quality.

With graphics rich skins such as TKings... you don't want the quality to suffer like that.

Again most folks will NOT have this problem.
Old 09-06-2002, 04:59 PM   #11
Pure
A Shissar Disciple

Default For question about suggestions

I have included files fro all the T. Kings Spellbooks in this post:

512 x 512 Spellbook Mod

Also, when placing graphics you start at top left corner 0,0 and go from there. I placed my combined picture to left corner and changed all info for spell locations from that point. It takes alot of trial and error.

Let me know how you want spells placed and how big of Icons and such. I will try to help as much as possible.

Again, on the graphics issue. I am very sorry some may not be able to use the 512 x 512. However, if this is a difficulty I VERY highly suggest a system upgrade or new computer purchase in the near future. It really does not take much nowadays to do such a task. For $500 or so, you still would be amazed by the performance change.

Also, you are missing out on some GREAT gameplay
Old 09-10-2002, 04:13 PM   #12
Kiriani
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Saryrn
Send a message via ICQ to Kiriani Send a message via AIM to Kiriani Send a message via Yahoo to Kiriani

Well, I think I figured out the problem: the alpha channel. I was having trouble setting the black area to actually be transparent, which was causing my issue. Your versions of the various t.king books worked just peachy, Pure. It was my own versions I was having problems with (I wanted to try to do it on my own).

Icon placement is going to be hell, period. I like the default layout, personally, so I just editted the spacing. It was the mem/scribe bars and done button I changed. I'm also thinking of adding in some of the other buttons...and just making them a hotspot on the books.

The only thing that bugged me about your versions was that on the righthand side, and along the bottom, there are small pieces of the book cover missing. Now I just look at it as wear and tear

All in all I thank you for showing this could be done. It allowed me to use a special spellbook graphic while retaining the normal book look for other books. It also helped me learn a bit more about adding special, custom graphics to a particular window without messing with the EQUI_Animations file.

-------------------
As for the video cards, although I feel for those without a big enough income to upgrade regularly, you can get some great deals through pricewatch and eBay stores on a quality card. Believe me, I have a very low income and I manage to upgrade at least once per year. Currently my main PC runs a GF 4 Ti4600 (paid $250 vs. $400+ retail price)....nothing to sneeze at and has no quams about pumping out 512X512 textures. My secondary is a GF 3 Ti 200 (paid $100). Both are overclocked to hell and water-cooled ;p Texture size definately was not an issue for me.

Didn't mean to brag, that was not the intention, and I hope you didn't take it that way. just mentioning upgrading can be done even on a tight budget. You just have to hunt for the deals.
Kiriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2002, 06:46 PM   #13
Pure
A Shissar Disciple

Wink Still waiting to come out of Beta

I have several ideas for Very Nice mods. However, before I do too much I am still waiting for the beta to end.

I have a feeling alot of things may change, and again we may gain all sorts of new ways of changing the UI. Just sitting back relaxing and doing very minor changes for now

I cannot wait until T.King releases his UI ideas. I hope he is prepared for the onslaught of downloads, lol.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:13 PM   #14
Shadeweaver
A Snow Griffin

Server: Druzzil Ro

t.king. Now he rocks.
Old 11-29-2002, 01:41 PM   #15
Stwong
A Ghoul

Quote:
Originally posted by Woody
Roy Eltham explained the need to keep graphics no larger than 256 as being an old video card issue.

I do not remember the make and model, and the vast majority of folks will NEVER have the problem, but some old video cards can't handle anything more that 256 in one direction. So if you tell it to use a 512 image, it smishes it down to 256 then stretches it back up to 512. Which really jacks with image quality.

With graphics rich skins such as TKings... you don't want the quality to suffer like that.

Again most folks will NOT have this problem.

An OLD video card issue?
No offense to anyone, but I thought people wouldn't forget that fast...

Remember in the good old days when all the hardcore EQ players had Voodoos? When 3DFX went out of business, video card prices went up. Up high.

Many people, like me, haven't upgraded since. Instead of buying a $500 GeForce and upgrading one component of my computer, making it slightly faster, I instead used my money on a faster CPU--my Voodoo3 2000 PCI works fine still. But, many people had the same dilemma as me.

That old graphics card issue will affect everyone using a 3DFX Voodoo 4 or below. None of those Voodoo cards can handle anything higher then 256x256. 512x512 will lag them into the floor, as it will need to be rendered via CPU only. And you know how EQ works with CPU.

So, please reconsider... There are many Voodoo users who wonder why tKing's inventories appear as if they were cropped in half and stretched out to cover the surface as a 256x256 surface... That's why. That's the old fix most newer Voodoo drivers have for the issue.

So, use 512x512s for inception, but when you release it, please, chop it up into 4 different 256x256s. If you don't... The nana will come after you.