Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > Graphics modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 01-05-2004, 10:39 AM   #1
timmo
A Fire Beetle

Server: Luclin
Send a message via AIM to timmo
Exclamation Creating A Hitpoint Gauge

Hi All,

I am a begginer starting to modify my default and downloaded skins. This website has helped me so much, but now I have a question. I want to make my own gauges, and I can't figure out how to do this. I'm not sure what parts i need to sucessfully do this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

One other note: is it possible to make a new window and be able to load txt files into it that may have instructions on quests, or other items???

Thanks In Advance.

Tim
Old 01-05-2004, 10:23 PM   #2
Lothay
A Shissar Defiler

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Re: Creating A Hitpoint Gauge

Quote:
Originally posted by timmo
One other note: is it possible to make a new window and be able to load txt files into it that may have instructions on quests, or other items???

Story Window Modifications are the way to do this.

The story window allows you to include text with a specialized sub-set of HTML.

There's a whole section of items for the Story Window right here on this site.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:07 PM   #3
Xymarra
Manaetic Prototype IX

Server: E'Ci
A gauge has six parts, four for the bar itself and two end caps. The four bar images should always be the same size. They are:
  • Background
  • Fill
  • Lines (Highlight)
  • LinesFilled
-The Background is always drawn in the back. It usually looks best if it is dark behind a bright gauge.
-The Fill is drawn on top of that, tinted with the RGB color of your gauge, and only drawn to the width of the current gauge value so that the Background shows at the right end.
-The Lines are drawn on top of the whole gauge untinted. They are used in the default gauge to make glassy highlights on the gauge bubbles.
-If you have FillLines turned on for a particular gauge, the LinesFilled image will be painted from the left, just like the Fill image, showing your progress through the current fifth of the bar. I think it is drawn on top of all the other layers.

The only truly necessary image for a gauge is the Fill image. The Fill image should be primarily a greyscale image if you want to use it for several different colored gauges and it should be fairly light in color. You can tint it dark with the RGB controls if you want dark gauges.

I personally don't like having little ticks fill up along the bottom of my gauges, like the blue lines in the default xp gauge, so I use the lines image as a highlight only and I don't define LinesFilled at all.

You can define the xml for your custom gauge images in your EQUI_Animations.xml file, in a custom xml file of your own design, or in the window file where you want to use the custom gauge. For example, I define the parts for a gauge I call "FiveGauge" which is made of five gems in a file named "GemGauges.xml". When I want to use the gauge in game, I specify the draw parameters like this:
Code:
<GaugeDrawTemplate> <Background>FiveGaugeBackground</Background> <Fill>FiveGaugeFill</Fill> <Lines>FiveGaugeLines</Lines> <EndCapLeft>FiveGaugeEndCapLeft</EndCapLeft> <EndCapRight>FiveGaugeEndCapRight</EndCapRight> </GaugeDrawTemplate>

If you leave out an element, it simply won't be drawn, so you can omit the end caps or the background as you wish.
Xymarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 06:38 PM   #4
scaevola
A Tundra Mammoth

Server: Veeshan
Send a message via AIM to scaevola
Default Xymarra plz!

Can you elborate more on how to set the different levels of the gauge different colors-you explanation makes more sense than what I've seen before?
scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 09:16 AM   #5
lordkylphor
A Ghoul

If you are using SIDLWIDL then changing the colors and attributes of the guage is simple

The colors are split into RBG- (red blue green)
the higher you set a particular color, the more saturation you get. It's kinda like mixing paint....more or less.

If you look at the bottom section on the right, you'll see a template section that has the guage info in there. Expand it to view the different options.

Best advice is to just play with it till ya see what does what. Most of em are pretty self-explanatory tho.