Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2003, 01:40 PM   #1
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Heads up on Product

Hey everyone.

I don't usually uses the front page news to air personal issues. I never see it as a fitting place. But today I have had some dealings with a monitor company that makes me feel justified in sharing what happened in hopes that others don't get burned by the same thing.

The Company:
Mag Innovision (www.maginnovision.com or www.proview.com)

The situation:
It seems that Mag Innovision (MI) has a deal with Circiut City and Best Buy that if you buy a MI monitor there you only get a 1 year warrenty, BUT if you buy that same monitor from a website, or other retail outlet you get a three year warrenty.

I bought two 19" MI monitors about 16 months ago, one for me and one for my wife. Well her's started getting static and lines in it about 3 months ago but I waited for it to be a consistant reproducable problem before contacting MI (since the website said 3 year warrenty). To my suprise they said that it was out of my 1 year warrenty, and that if I sent it to them (at my cost) they would look at it, and the minimum would bet $145.00 (not including parts if needed). I paid 199.00 for this monitor just over a year ago. Sooo I tried to explain to the customer service agent (and I use that term loosely) that I didnt save my box, and that the website was down so I could not get the page that had said 3 year warrenty. He directed me to a new page on Proview.com and what does it say "Best Buy and Circuit City Purchases have 1 year limited warrenty, all others have 3 year" when I asked him why those two stores he said "Both of them offer extended warrenty, soo they have a deal with MI to have a smaller manufactor's warrenty"

Result
I am stuck with a monitor that will be dying soon, and no way to replace it. My wife is not working soo paying out of pocket to replace it is not really an option.

Request
If anyone works in the Computer Hardware Field and could offer any sort of help with Monitor, be it repairs, deals on a new one, or anything of that sort Please send me PM. I am stuck in a real delima.

Morale of the Story
Read the Fine Print! Know what your buying through and through
I for one will NEVER buy another Mag Innovision monitor, I have bought 4 of them and loved 3 of the 4, but their customer service was horrible, I was put on hold for 40 mins for a supervisor (who never came to the phone) and had the CS rep telling me things then taking them back with "I didnt say that sir" when I repeated what he said.

I hope my mis-fortune helps others out there find the companies that are willing to help thier customers, maybe it will show the ones who take no responsibilty for thier product!

/bow

- Kudane
Kudane is offline   Reply With Quote