Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > General authoring help / discussion
User Name
Password

Old 01-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #31
shillingworth
A Predatory Creeper

Server: Bertoxxulous
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Any idea for what I should do for errors?

For example if an animation tries to use a texture that isn't present.
- Display a red X wherever that texture should be visible?
- Display a purple & green checker board wherever that texture should be visible?
- Some other obvious way to present it?

There will of course be an error list to check up on any errors in the UI, I'll probably pop up a warning dialog when closing the editor if any errors are present in the UI as well. Just wondering what kind of visual cue I should use to make it blatantly obvious, preferably something that wouldn't blend with any sensible UI.

"Computers are like Air Conditioners, they stop working properly when you open Windows."
shillingworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #32
shillingworth
A Predatory Creeper

May be a few weeks before I do more work on the editor. Fixing my resume as well as some sample programs for a job I'll be applying to if all goes well with the prerequisites (which are no trivial matter). So I put all of my projects on the back burner until I have everything ready for that.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #33
Drakah
Skinning Guru

Good luck Shill!

Drakah

shakahr.com
Remember...it is only a GAME
Drakah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:59 PM   #34
Crimson13x
A Fire Beetle

Shillingworth, I hope all is going well with your resume projects. Let me preface this with I really appreciate you working on the EQIA editor. I know very little, to almost nothing, about coding software. With that said, my question is would it be possible, and maybe less involved, to create a plug-in for an open sourced existing program instead of a stand alone? Possibly Open Office or NotePad++? I realize it may not be something that would work as wanted, but was just a thought my mind pondered, wondering if it would be an easier solution.

In reply to your question, I think a red X for a graphic error and a log file would be great.

Thanks again for doing this. I used to be able to code HTML, CSS & XML, but due to health issues I no longer have the concentration and focus without a WYSIWYG feature. I am patiently and excitedly awaiting on your finished software. I'd gladly help beta test when you get to that point.
Crimson13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #35
shillingworth
A Predatory Creeper

Notepad++ already has XML syntax defined. Honestly creating plugins for existing software is much more of a pain than just writing an editor from scratch.

I've worked on a lot of indie game dev teams in the past 7 years, and every time we had to go the plugin route things took significantly longer. For example on one project we needed a plugin for the level editor that would repack all the images as tightly as possible into a single image file. I spent a few days trying to write a plugin for the level editor before I said "screw it" and wrote a tool from scratch in just a few hours. Of course not all plugin systems are that bad, some were easy to work with, but most impose harsh constraints on what you can do.

--

As far as getting back to the project. I have one debt that is holding me back from one of the qualifications for that job (doesn't even matter that I was paying it off slowly, simply have to pay it off entirely). So I've been working on getting that taken care of. On the up side the rep I talked with said they will most definitely have a position available as long as I can get it taken care of before summer.

Last edited by shillingworth : 02-27-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #36
shillingworth
A Predatory Creeper

Currently what the editor needs is drawing code for most elements. The version in the google code reposition has drawing code for textures, animations, and some of the draw templates. So it's got the basic stuff, just need to pull it all together for each of the control types and any special logic (like how the buff window's layout is slightly different than similar control types).
Old 10-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #37
Carmor
A Fire Beetle

Server: Povar

Are you at a point where you could provide a manual installation version?

Not all of us have a compiler, or are able to compile your source code. Also, I'd like to see you complete the project. Doing development work myself I know that nearing the end of the project sometimes it's difficult to bring it all together and put the final ribbon on the box. So, is there a way that maybe we can help to motivate that? Do you have a paypal donation link setup where we might be able to say... treat you to dinner or something

Keesi
Carmor is offline   Reply With Quote