Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Help ! ? ! ?
User Name
Password

Old 07-09-2004, 06:20 PM   #1
Svafnir
A Gray Wolf

Default About to give up

OK. I have been trying to load UIs from here for months now. I have followed all of the trouble-shooting tips, and read all the help forums. Nothing works. All that loading a new UI ever does is move around my old dialog boxes and other UI stuff. The graphics NEVER change. Does anyone know what could be the problem? AND please do not point me to the trouble shooting thread. I have read it, and read it, and read it.

I am starting to believe that this whole web site is just a huge conspiracy to get me to continuously screw up my UI settings.

Svafnir Winterfury
57 Beastlord
MT Server
Svafnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 06:38 PM   #2
Bikther
99% EVIL, 1% Cute Bunnies

Server: Innoruuk
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Are you getting the message "your xml files are incompatible...etc"?

If so post your UIerrors.text

If not getting that message:

Have all the pieces of a new UI in a folder in with this file path name:

C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest\uifiles\custom

When in game use the options window ALT+O and click the LOAD UI SKIN button.

If that does now work I have no clue what is wrong
Bikther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:07 PM   #3
Neori
A Snow Cougar

Server: Tunare
Send a message via ICQ to Neori

Also make sure that you only have EQ installed in one place. I forget which expansion, I think Luclin, was giving some people problems with it installing to another folder than where they already had the rest of the EQ software installed to. Chances are you'd be having other problems if this was the case, but it's best to check just to make sure.

Also, make sure that your UI files aren't getting dropped into another folder within your custom folder. As mentioned in the last post, it should (depending on your exact install path for EQ) look about like this:

C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest\uifiles\MyUI

NOT like this:

C:\Program Files\Sony\EverQuest\uifiles\MyUI\MyUI

Sometimes the ZIP file a UI comes in has some things set up in subfolders within the main folder; like several different layouts, or windows settings for melee or caster classes. Check to make sure all the necessary files are being placed in the main custom UI folder.
Mandayilie D'Seet - 51 enchanter
Kinyrae F`Lorn - 54 necromancer
-----------------------------------
[re-retired]
-----------------------------------
Former Guildmistress of Angelfire Glory - Tunare server
Neori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 09:02 AM   #4
Svafnir
A Gray Wolf

Thanks for your thoughts. Still no luck, though.

I know that EQ sees my custom folder, because it is listed in the /loadskin directory. I know that the custom .ini file is being executed because it moves everythiing around the screen. What it is not doing is changing any of the UI graphics. No error files, nothing.

I did notice that besides the UIfiles directory, there is also a Skins directory. The Skins directors has a sub-directory called default. Should I also be saving something in the Skins directory.

It is like I somehow don't have a custom UI graphics option turned on. I'm completely at a loss.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:47 AM   #5
Vitaee
Enhanced Imperial Golem

1. Post a link to one of the UI's you're having trouble with.
  2. Post a copy of your UIErrors.txt file. This will be in your Everquest main directory.

Old 07-10-2004, 11:49 AM   #6
Svafnir
A Gray Wolf

Well, I have tried to load many UIs, and have had the same trouble with all of them. But, here is a link to the one I am currently trying to get to work.

http://www.eqinterface.com/download...nfo.php?id=1631

Attached is my UIErrors file. But, it does not appear to have any errors logged in it.

I have also saved my EQclient and UI .ini files as text files and attached them in case that is of any help.

Thank you all for you kind attention to my UI headache.
Attached Files
File Type: txt UIErrors.txt (48 Bytes, 19 views)
File Type: doc UI_Svafnir_morell.txt.doc (107.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: doc eqclient.doc (62.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-10-2004, 12:07 PM   #7
Nitefang
A Hill Giant

ok a couple things to check on -

1. your file structure should look something like this :

Sony
- Everquest
- UIfiles
- xml files
- my custom UI #1
- xml files
- my custom UI #2
- xml files

any custom folder needs to be in the same part of the file "tree" as the default folder.

2 . make sure you are unzipping the download - it wont read zips at all

3. also make sure the zip doesn't contain its own folders "built in" - if you are creating your own "new folder" yourself and then unzipping into it - you may well have another folder inside that -

and anything 2 folders deep wont show in game -

* Note : (subordinate folders here usually contain options for the UI that the author has provided, - make sure any option you wish to use is physically moved out of the sub folder and over writes the xml file its supposed to replace or it wont show)

hope this helps !
Nitefang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 12:34 PM   #8
Svafnir
A Gray Wolf

File structure is correct. All files copies out of sub-folders. Still nothing.

Are you sure this isn't a grand conspiracy to mess up my UI settings.

Svaf.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:32 PM   #9
giannia
A Gray Wolf

Server: The Nameless
Send a message via AIM to giannia Send a message via MSN to giannia Send a message via Yahoo to giannia
Default EQ trilogy plus EQ?

One other thing to check that happened to me - when loading EQ from cd's my kids accidentally put expansions in before their EQ trilogy therefore making Trilogy second on their files list. Both EQ folders have UI files so when they saved custom skins they saved them in the wrong UI folder and the same thing as you describe happened. IF you have Trilogy on your pc make sure thats the UI folder you are saving your files into, and make sure they are unzipped. They will still show up in your loadskin even if they are not unzipped.
giannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 06:49 PM   #10
Faerwynd
A Treant

Default I think it is just in need of updating

I tried uploading this UI too and got the same results ... window layout from ini file but no UI. No error message other than what came across in the chat window "Error loading skin "Daellig_Melee\" , attempting to load default". Anyone know what that is? No, I am not using Trilogy. All of my expansions have been separate purchases and are loaded in the Sony\Everquest folder.

Now the "\" at the end of the folder name I gave the UI worries me, not sure what that means since it is not a part of the name I gave the custom folder.

I tried this twice, once using only the custom files in the custom folder and the second time I copied all of the default files into the custom folder and over wrote them with the new custom files.

I think that since the UI is date 03-10-2003 it is missing some coding from a few patches that have broken it. Just my guess as I'm not a coder. If I had time, I would try loading the UI one custom file at a time (i.e. copy just the inventory window and all .tga * .png files it uses) until it either works or breaks again.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:21 PM   #11
LovinUIs
A Bat

Default problems also

I have not been having the same problem but is it possible to extract 1 item at a time from a UI folder (such as slayer.2 or whatever in evil UI) and put it in your custom folder till you've put them all in?
LovinUIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 10:05 PM   #12
Meridious
A Ghoul

Server: Cazic Thule

Where do you live? If close, I will drop by and help you out.

Old 07-10-2004, 10:06 PM   #13
Weskat
A Tempest Toad

Server: Tunare - mostly retired

I think the problem is that the UI you are trying to use is too old/not currently compatible.

Please try Lodi Dodi as it is a current complete set. (using all those dang instructions you have read )

As usual, if it doesn't work, please post your UI Errors and we will figure out the problem.

LovinUIs - It depends on the UI, some are coded such that each window can be used independent of the complete set while others require the complete set in order for them to work. If you are referring to unzipping the UI to your desktop and then manually placing each file in your custom UI folder, then it should work provided you get all the files/the files work as independent customizations.

Last edited by Weskat : 07-10-2004 at 10:17 PM.
Weskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 07:59 PM   #14
Svafnir
A Gray Wolf

Default Thats It

That was the problem, Weskat. Thank you very much. You know, it is funny. I have tried maybe 4-5 UIs from this site and always had the same problem, until I tried the one you linked. I must just have a taste for outdated UIs that don't work anymore.

Your humble servant,

Svafnir Winterfury
57 Beastlord
MT Server
Old 07-12-2004, 02:36 PM   #15
Weskat
A Tempest Toad

Server: Tunare - mostly retired

Glad you got it working

ps: I chose Lodi Dodi based simply on the file date.
Weskat is offline   Reply With Quote