Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > General UI Talk
User Name
Password

Old 09-12-2007, 08:56 AM   #1
myxiplx
A Weathered Clockwork

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default New from SoE - /copylayout

Posted this in reply to the Sept 12th patch message, but then noticed it doesn't show up on the home page so repeating it here. There's some interesting news on the SoE forums about the UI fixes. It appears the majority of problems have been well and truly fixed, and in addition we have a couple of absolute beauties being added to the game:

/viewport will have a scale option:
Quote:
Added a 5th parameter to the /viewport command that if set to "1" will cause the veiwport to scale along with window resizing.
/copylayout:
Quote:
Typing either "/copylayout" or pressing the appropriate button in the General options page will bring up a list of all your UI_name_server.ini files with each layout stored in them ... Selecting one will copy the layout you selected over the current layout, including any custom skin that might be in use.
And another gem I didn't know about:
Quote:
Currently if you /loadskin and tell it to not keep your current layout, it loads the values from the xml only.

The /copylayout and /loadskin settings between them make for some very nice ways to load a UI complete with it's layout. For more details please read SKlug's post here:
http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/p...topic_id=118687

Last edited by myxiplx : 09-12-2007 at 09:19 AM.
myxiplx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

Server: Bristlebane // Erollisi Marr
Send a message via Yahoo to Inokis

They aren't fixed until they implement the changes live.

There's still no estimate on when they will be pushing the UI fixes.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:39 PM   #3
Minalcar
Premium Member

Yes that /loadskin and not keeping your settings hosed my UI on my laptop.

I had to get the ini files from my main machine and copy them to the EQ directory

Minalcar
Minalcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:00 AM   #4
myxiplx
A Weathered Clockwork

SKlug says in his post that he's hoping the changes make it live next week, so shouldn't be long.

And yes, /loadskin without keeping your settings will move things all over the place, SKlug cautions about that. It loads the positions from the XML, but very few people will have added positions to the XML files, so you're likely to get things everywhere.

I mentioned /loadskin because if a UI developer could use that knowledge to put the positions in the XML files and then give people a really easy way to add the UI, without having to mess around with ini files.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:27 AM   #5
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxiplx
SKlug says in his post that he's hoping the changes make it live next week, so shouldn't be long.

And yes, /loadskin without keeping your settings will move things all over the place, SKlug cautions about that. It loads the positions from the XML, but very few people will have added positions to the XML files, so you're likely to get things everywhere.

I mentioned /loadskin because if a UI developer could use that knowledge to put the positions in the XML files and then give people a really easy way to add the UI, without having to mess around with ini files.

Knowing the xml will take precedence, itll be nice for fixed width uis to set everything up.
Inokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 03:49 AM   #6
myxiplx
A Weathered Clockwork

No, XML will only take precidence if you untick the option to save your layout, or if you have no layout saved for a particular resolution.

So yes, it's handy for UI designers to add XML positions just in case, but the best thing to do is to make use of /copylayout. I've just added a big reply to the SoE thread if you want to see what I think, but the gist of it is:
  • If you set positions in the XML they are for one resolution only. With users being able to size the window how they like, it's impossible for a developer to guess what's best for a user.
  • /copylayout however lets a developer ship support for as many resolutions as they want, and users can easily try a few out and see which layout suits their screen best.
  • /copylayout also covers the occasions where your .ini file has no positions saved for your current resolution. If you find your windows are all over the place, no problem: just do a /copylayout and grab positions from a resolution that you know works.
That one command solves a huge number of problems. All UI designers need to do is ship a .ini file, and any time window positions get messed up it's (hopefully) going to be a piece of cake to fix.

And what I've just realised is the /copylayout command is SKlug's way of letting us fix the UI's for everyone who's layout got messed up.

Myx
Old 09-13-2007, 04:31 AM   #7
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

Its a shame they're wasting so much time developing fixes for this when it never needed to be changed in the first place.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:42 AM   #8
myxiplx
A Weathered Clockwork

Yeah, SKlug said these changes were never meant to go live. On the plus side however, some of the fixes they are putting in place are looking very very good.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:59 AM   #9
Kaliaila
A Wooly Rhino

Server: Tunare
Send a message via ICQ to Kaliaila Send a message via AIM to Kaliaila Send a message via Yahoo to Kaliaila

IMO it's much better the SOE UI people are working on this than on actually making any chances to other actual windows.
Ascendant Apostle of the Celestial Fists
Kaliaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 11:38 AM   #10
Minalcar
Premium Member

It didn't move them all over the place on my laptop. It completely removed most windows and what was there were just the top lines on the screen.

Minalcar
Old 09-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #11
myxiplx
A Weathered Clockwork

How did you get that fixed Minalcar? That's not a bug I've seen anyone else report yet.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:04 PM   #12
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

The only way to fix it when it does that is to del the defaults.ini. Run the game without patching, and reload your custom ui with keep layout selected.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #13
Minalcar
Premium Member

I made a zip file of the ini files on my desktop, put them on a zip drive and connected the zip drive to my laptop USB port and copied them to my EQ directory.

Good thing I had a separate compuer to test it.

Minalcar
Old 09-13-2007, 05:13 PM   #14
danedori
A Fire Beetle

I've been doing /copylayout the hard way for a long time. I would just copy the UI file from my main character and then rename it for each of my other characters. Also, if I did something to mess up my UI, like load a UI without keeping the layout, I just copied it back from one of my other characters. I've always wanted a way to do this in-game.

Danedori
danedori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:12 PM   #15
Getti Lee
An Icepaw Kobold

if i ever load a ui where i don't use "keep my layout" or make a big screw up on my layout from manual error, i just type /exit and start again. the ini files aren't touched when using that command.
Getti Lee is offline   Reply With Quote