User Name
Password

Old 10-06-2002, 12:31 PM   #1
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Is it a virus???

I have gotten a couple of emails about some of the auto-installing mods popping up virus warnings with norton.. the author sent me this email,

Quote:
I swear it's not malicious. What's happening here is that Norton/Symantec are lazy and are the only major anti-virus manufacturer in the world that has not yet made allowances for locally run .vbs/.vbe files. It simply sees that a VB Script is touching your local system and it uses the same level of security as if it were running via your internet browser (which would be a very bad thing) even though it's a local file. I've emailed Norton about this and I have yet to receive a response.

Anyway, only Norton Anti-Virus 2000+ pops up with a malicious script warning. McAfee, PC-Cillin, Thunderbyte, et. al. don't have a problem with it.

If it would make you more comfortable I'll send you the source code so you can see it for yourself. I encrypted the final versions as an extra layer of security in the manner of making sure that no one could modify it maliciously and redistribute it.

and I have tested the file. and it has no true virus to be found.

If you truely find a file with a virus send me a direct email with the file name and category and i will investigate it further..

- Kudane
Kudane is offline   Reply With Quote