Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > Graphics modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 08-27-2002, 11:38 PM   #1
Wolfran
A Tundra Mammoth

Default Fireworks and transparency

I works with what I gots. I gots Macromedia Fireworks.

Anyone else working with Fireworks? I'm having a helluva time keeping the existing transparency in the default .tga files. Simply editing Vert's gauge graphics into the existing window_pieces01.tga file is becoming an exercise in nausea.

I can create my own graphics complete with transparency (saving them as .png, Fireworks' defacto format of choice works for new images), but Fireworks seems to have a problem recognizing an alpha channel for the .tgas provided by Verant.

BTW...Why the hell would they use .tgas anyway?

Oh...and to the guy that's gonna say, "get a copy of photoshop 7.0": I'll spend $1,000 for a computer upgrade when Doom 3 is released, but I ain't wasting money on graphics software, no matter how good it is, that I'm only going to use to edit silly little graphics in a silly little game that I already spend $12 per month to play kthxbye~
Old 08-27-2002, 11:43 PM   #2
NightWolf
An Icepaw Kobold

Server: Stormhammer

download gimp or equivalent then. I've never used, but it should be better than trying Fireworks

There are no teachers, only students who are willing to share their knowledge.
NightWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 12:14 AM   #3
Wolfran
A Tundra Mammoth

Fireworks is great for web layout work (about all its good for) which doesn't really involve transparency.

I downloaded the Win32 version of Gimp. Worked well for the cut and paste job. Thanks
Wolfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2002, 10:21 AM   #4
Filex
A Hill Giant

Default Re: Fireworks and transparency

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfran
I works with what I gots. I gots Macromedia Fireworks.

Anyone else working with Fireworks? I'm having a helluva time keeping the existing transparency in the default .tga files. Simply editing Vert's gauge graphics into the existing window_pieces01.tga file is becoming an exercise in nausea.

I can create my own graphics complete with transparency (saving them as .png, Fireworks' defacto format of choice works for new images), but Fireworks seems to have a problem recognizing an alpha channel for the .tgas provided by Verant.

Oh...and to the guy that's gonna say, "get a copy of photoshop 7.0": I'll spend $1,000 for a computer upgrade when Doom 3 is released, but I ain't wasting money on graphics software, no matter how good it is, that I'm only going to use to edit silly little graphics in a silly little game that I already spend $12 per month to play kthxbye~

Targa (.tga) files are used because they support alpha layers, and they are fairly standard for high quality image files... There aren't many formats that support alpha layers. And as far as software goes, Paint Shop Pro will work fine, and is fairly cheap. I believe you can also use it for free if you can live with the nag screen when you start it up.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:17 PM   #5
Chakarum
A Shissar Disciple

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default RE:

I use ULead PhotoImpact, and have the same problem with TGA files. They simply will NOT save the transparency. Instead, I save them all as PNG files; they are only a fraction of the size of TGA files and have transparency saved. The only problem I have is that its a pain to use because you have to select the "floating graphic" and select the section of transparent background behind what you're editing, or it comes up with errors (grr...). Anyway, once that's done, the PNG format seems to clear up the problem of tranparencies.

From what I've found, its because the TGA format merges all layers, so the background (which was transparent) becomes white, while in PNG it keeps the seperate layers (or only saves the selected objects and discards the background, effectively making it transparent, can't really tell and don't really care).

Of course, PhotoImpact is expensive, but I got a copy with my scanner so I guess thats the way to go. hehe.

Anyway, try the PNG file format, if yours supports it, and maybe that will help.
Chakarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2003, 05:53 PM   #6
grottel
Grimling Code Editor

Server: Xev
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Re: Fireworks and transparency

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfran

For the ability to encode metadata into the image itself.
grottel is offline   Reply With Quote