Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 10-18-2003, 09:58 PM   #61
kabbus
A Snow Cougar

Quote:
Originally posted by kenney
I think this a really dumb.. why not have the newbies hit sense heading like we have for over 4 years....why would anyone want to level up if your going to give them all the options that higher level have??

In my opinion if there to dumb to know how to hit a button then they don't belong in this game..

Other wise it looks good =)

I don't think its dumb. What is dumb is the way it currently is. I have played since day one, and have never once built my skill up in sense heading due to the fact I didn't care to click that dang button 10 million times. And the fact you can buy a compass from a merchant and save yourself the sore fingers, for 3p.

DAOC has had this instant compass option since day one, and thats the way it should be in Everquest.

There is nothing to gain by making a person click a button 10 million times, except perhaps to lose their sanity, and waste their time.

PS: After reading more posts in this thread, obviously many here aren't aware of the fact that you can buy a compass from some of the merchants in the game.
kabbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 10:05 PM   #62
Zantaklawz
Manaetic Prototype IX

Server: Bristlebane, The Nameless, Xegony, Veeshan, Firiona Vie, Vallon Zek, and Venril Sathir
Send a message via AIM to Zantaklawz Send a message via Yahoo to Zantaklawz

Okay what gets me is the people who say "I didn't do Sense Heading cause I don't want to sit in one spot for an hour or two to get it up so many points."

Pardon my brashness, but ummmm... hasn't anyone heard of key mapping it to your left and right arrow keys, and assign a hotkey to it? Everytime you turn you do a skill check. It's really not that difficult, and before you know it. Your score will be maxed for the level. So what's so difficult about that?

Proud to be an at EQ Roleplayers! Join us and spread the word!

Come and sit for a while and listen to the Tales of Zantaklawz! Tell one! Tell all!
Zantaklawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 10:18 PM   #63
Ellyana
a_HappyEQCustomer_01

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Its not that big a deal. Its no different than when SOE removed the need to stare into your spell book to med. Or when they Added the extra Hotkeys. or when they added the map![sarcasm on] I found my way around by using /loc ! and now they are spoiling noobs by giving them a map!?!? I want compensation! heheh.[sarcasm off]

It may not be entirely fair that we had to max out Sense heading the old way.. but its an Improvment! it doesnt harm anyone. Its not Unbalancing in anyway. Honestly with the Introduction of the map; sense heading and the compass are pretty much obsolete.

this is not a flame. have a nice day

Last edited by Ellyana : 10-19-2003 at 12:16 AM.
Ellyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 02:25 AM   #64
Starshelle
A Druid not a "Dr00d"

Server: Innoruuk

I don't know...this is the first time that I can recall that Sony actually completely eliminated an entire skill like this. I was very happy to get sense of heading maxed out on my two main characters, because the compass would stay still and you'd get that nifty arrow on your map making it much easier to tell where you were headed.

Their reasoning for taking this skill away seems faulty to me too. If they're doing it to make things easier for newbies, then why bother getting ANY skills up at all? Why not start everyone out with max swimming for example? Why should newbies start out with such poor melee skills? Why not let them start out at 100? Or why don't we just elimate the lower levels altogether?

Ah, well ~sighs~ I also had to walk to school uphill both ways in the blinding snow. I'll stop now before I start sound too old. I do think dwarves should be given a new racial bonus though. All dwarves as a racial ability automatically start off with 50 in sense heading, which I actually found useful and really liked on my level 7 dwarf.
Starshelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 04:12 AM   #65
kenney
Bad Ass Kitty

Server: if you know me you know =P

maybe Sony will make this game for 4 year olds next, start tham out at lvl 65 what the hell.. take lvling away next..
kenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2003, 06:50 AM   #66
lcgreen
A Bat

Default Lol

Ermm from the sound of this forum, it seems no one ever actually used the sense heading hotbutton fix0r =) Why the hell *clicky* *clicky* , when it can be assigned to your movement keys and forgot about?? lol

Come on Sense heading? Lol its a compass, i thought my compass was broke when i started playing. lol
Old 10-19-2003, 09:40 AM   #67
Azuth
A Snow Cougar

From what I can see it's not the bag and 200 in sense heading that has people upset but the fact that newbies are getting stuff that you long time players (I started 1/1/03, I'm slightly less spoiled than the next batch of newbs) didn't get. In my short time in Norrath I've hit level 55, gotten one AA, bought a horse, earned 90% of my gear, brought baking to 148, fishing to 190, sense heading 200.

Anyway back on topic, it seems people aren't mad about the sense heading skill being chucked but that next batch of new players will have the game handed to them on a silver plater. It seems that way for me actually. I got my main from 1 to 55 in about 5 months. My alts only have to get to about 20 before I can just do nothing but LDoN crawls and get uber loot and XP. Let's face it, if this is the way EQ 1 is going EQ 2 is gonna be just horrible.

/rant off
(profiles coming soon)
Azuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 06:34 PM   #68
forry
Enhanced Imperial Golem

Server: Tarew Marr
Default What do you think?

I've attached a shot of how I think I will fix the target conning issue unless Sony does something else. What do you guys think? I think it's at least better than it was. The only problem would be that you have to manually move the target window (the colored box) to be in the correct location.

forry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 06:41 PM   #69
kenney
Bad Ass Kitty

What they really need to do its get rid of that stupid attack boarder, make it the target/attack boarder.. so now when your attacking the con will be blinking...
Old 10-21-2003, 08:16 AM   #70
laertise
A Snow Griffin

Just had to put my 2cp in on the sense heading issue I don't like what theyr'e doing. I didn't have my sense heading over 20 until about lvl 40 then I started working it up by clicking and clicking until someone taught me how to key map. So I acctually learned something from sense heading, and believe its good for newbs to learn these things as I did.

Laertise
laertise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:34 AM   #71
tomko44
A Hill Giant

To me the Sense Heading issue is out-right wrong! Mine is 200, I worked for it using the hot-key not a movement-key. Part of the game is exploration. These days you have a map.. you have a compass... now 200 SH... where's the fun in that? I can see starting off with about a 20-50 point and having it automatically set for the movement keys, but that is too much of a gimme! It seems they are doing everything possible these days to boost newbies up without doing the work required.
tomko44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 10:00 AM   #72
KelricStormwolf
Accidental Dupe - See Kelric

My 2cp about the changes for new characters...

After thinking about it -

Okay, after ranting about it, THEN thinking about it -

These changes aren't really all that unreasonable. I've played other games where you start with storage and a 100% accurate compass. Heck, in RL, you get a compass and it works, you don't have to train to use it, and there are plenty of decent RP reasons for a new character to start with a bag. Heck, they start with food, drink, armor (well, a tunic), a weapon, and casters with 1 or 2 spells... heck, they need a bag just to put it all in. If one can live with that, a bag is no stretch.

Having said that... I hate it. The 'dumbing down of Norrath' continues apace. It's not a matter of "I had it this hard, they should too" (well, only a little ), it's more about integrity of design. The game was designed to move at a certain pace in a certain way (personal creativity aside)... one of the selling points was you actually had to USE your skills to improve them. What equipment you got you had to earn, one way or another.

Unfortunately, this is just one more small step in that endless vicious cycle... established characters/players twink new characters/players, devs make new opponents that much more difficult, devs are 'forced' to make the reward appear in line with the greater risk, making established characters/players more powerful, leading to twinking new characters/players with more powerful equipment... while those of us attempting to play IN the world get left further and further behind.

Some of my characters have 200 Sense Heading (my ranger, my bard), some have next to none (my rogue, my cleric); this is for RP reasons. I don't WANT my rogue or cleric knowing exactly where they are at all times, it's not their nature. They have to depend on others to find anything or get anywhere. My ranger and bard SHOULD know where they are and where to go, it's part of who and what they are.

I don't play a game for it to be work; neither do I play it for a quick fix of success. If I want to destroy all enemies with no risk or effort, I'll go back and play Half-Life in God Mode (at least it had a consistent story...). Easy isn't always bad... but easier and easier is not better and better.

Just my opinion. I won't quit EQ over it (obviously), but I reserve the right to be sad about it.

Now, re: the targeting border: great idea, bad implementation! Devs, back to the drawing board, but DO go back and try again please!
KelricStormwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:10 PM   #73
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

Server: Bristlebane // Erollisi Marr
Send a message via Yahoo to Inokis

If they keep the con the way it is, this is how I've got it formatted for my UI:

Inokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 09:13 PM   #74
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

YAYAYAYAY!!! *Bounces*

Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Cairenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 10:59 PM   #75
kenney
Bad Ass Kitty

wonder if its keeped that way would you be able to put it in the player window?? thats where my target is now.. i hope you can move to other window, but the way Sony is =( i know you wount be.. ohh humm