Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > General authoring help / discussion
User Name
Password

Old 10-18-2004, 04:33 PM   #1
Ghismonda
A Treant

Server: 7th hammer
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via AIM to Ghismonda Send a message via MSN to Ghismonda
Default Resurrecting Caleal's 2.0: My first UI undertaking

So I'm sure the story is a familar one...

When I first started playing EQ, I knew hardly anything about UIs and I fell in love with one particular UI. Mine was Caleal's 1.4. When he released a newer edition, Caleal's 2.0, I immediately adopted it and the new screen resolution required to run it. For nearly two years, I've been a loyal fan of Caleal's UIs. His UIs are clean and functional, while also eye-pleasing, with little to no extra fluff. Everything is organized well and easy to use. I just <3 them!

But, like many great UIs, the author has stopped playing EQ, and so the UI has stopped being updated. And who can blame them really? In just trying to figure out where to start with this project, I've spent a lot of time and been very frustrated in the process. And so I come here, to ask for your suggestions, help, and guidance.

Since Caleal has moved on from EQ, I have not been able to bring myself to abandon his UI. Through several patches that have made EQ's interface more robust, I have resisted change and instead done what little changes I could muster. But now I know, it's time to fix it or abandon it. I want to give it a good college try at fixing, and releasing for other fans of Caleal's, before adopting a new UI.

So here's the things that have changed since Caleal moved on a year ago (that I can remember, and in no particular order):
+ new pet window, which includes pet buffs
+ target rings
+ combat disciplines
+ mana and endurance numbers
+ Leadership AA, most notably Health of Target's Target!
+ 9th spell gem, 20 buff slots

Now, I know what I want... more of the same. I want to include all of those features, and maintain the elegant simplicty of Caleal's 2.0. Then, if I've gotten a firm grasp of SIDL's UI modification, move on to Caleal 1.4 further "optional" upgrades for Caleal 2.0

My background is in a lot of HTML and Photoshop, so I've been able to put together a photoshop .jpeg of how I want the main part of the UI to be organized when I'm done. It's attached on the bottom.

So where to start? I've read the tutorials and the SIDL docs. Should I download a WYSIWYG, or will a lightbulb click for me for XML like it did for HTML? In the expert opinion of experienced EQUI developers, is Caleal's 2.0 original UI coded strongly enough that I won't be piecing things together as I go to update it? I've read about finding a UI that you like (check!) and figuring out how you want to fix it (check!) and fiddling with it until you get what you like. I've been starting with the spell gem window and running into some problems adding the 9th gem. Is this a good place to start, or would you recommend a different window to begin learning and experimenting on?

If you've read this far, I thank you! I am very excited to undertake this project, and I want it to go as smoothly as possible. I've already put a lot of thought and time into it, so any and all guidance is greatly appreciated! I hope that one day soon, this resurrected Caleal UI will be as useful to someone else as his have been to me for so long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Caleal_Ressurection_divided.jpg (52.9 KB, 249 views)
Ghismonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 04:44 PM   #2
Amitan
a_magician_01

Send a message via ICQ to Amitan Send a message via MSN to Amitan

Cool, know several people that would be happy for a update
Amitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 05:44 PM   #3
Qassack
A Treant

I would prefer optional windows like that instead of a single one. Having hp/mana/end seperates it too much from the rest of the group imo. It would look much cleaner leaving mana for all except pure melee. As far as I know the only ones endurance really matters to are the pure melees. Hybrids never seem to run out.

Having those stats etc under the hotkey window...it seems to be having a double rowed window selector would be a better way to go since we have stats in the tabbed player window anyways.

I still use Caleal 2.0 also, with patch fixes. I love the functionality of the UI.

*edit* oh yeah, almost forgot. If you decide to make a health of target's target window, please please please make it look differently than the normal target window. I don't know about the rest of the folks around here, but I prefer to be able to just glance at the target windows and know which is which. That is difficult when they look identical.
Caelum Infinitum
Qassack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 07:53 PM   #4
Weskat
A Tempest Toad

Server: Tunare - mostly retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghismonda
snip
So where to start? I've read the tutorials and the SIDL docs. Should I download a WYSIWYG, or will a lightbulb click for me for XML like it did for HTML? In the expert opinion of experienced EQUI developers, is Caleal's 2.0 original UI coded strongly enough that I won't be piecing things together as I go to update it? I've read about finding a UI that you like (check!) and figuring out how you want to fix it (check!) and fiddling with it until you get what you like. I've been starting with the spell gem window and running into some problems adding the 9th gem. Is this a good place to start, or would you recommend a different window to begin learning and experimenting on?
/snip

imho, if HTML "clicked" for you then you should have very little trouble with XML. Basically if you can hard code HTML then you should be able to hardcode XML. My experience has kept/driven me away from the WYSIWYG XML editors as the errors I ran into with the editor drove me crazy. There are several good text editors out there for free that will definately make the coding easier.
On a separate note, starting with the spell gem window *should* be a good place as you are merely adding something that is already in the window 8 times and making some minor changes to get it where you want it and calling to the proper EQ Type.

In the end Good Luck in your endevour and as previously stated there are many people that will be very happy when you get this UI updated. The key is to make it such that you are happy with it, if alot of others are happy with it also then that is gravy (you won't be able to mod it to everyones liking )
Weskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 08:42 PM   #5
ArcherPhate
A Predatory Creeper

Server: Ayonae Ro
Thumbs up

ALl you need to do is Change teh "Stats" tab of the pet window to show Pet buffs, move teh Buf window up so u can add buffs 16-20, andchange teh HB, Group, And Spell bar window, shouldent be to hard, Just make the windows bigger adn you'll be set.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart.”
Anne Frank

Last edited by ArcherPhate : 10-19-2004 at 08:55 AM.
ArcherPhate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 04:21 PM   #6
Ghismonda
A Treant

Thanks, Archer. But I understand what I need to do, I just don't have enough experience with the code to figure out how to do it.

Today, I dove in to trying to fix the spell bar. In English this is what I attempted to do:

1) Copy/paste the "CSPW_Spell" part of one gem, changing the instances of number 7 to number 8. Adjust the location Y numbers from the copied entry down 31 pixels for the '8th' entry (9th spell gem).
2) Copy/paste the "Spell_Label" part of one label, changing instances of the number 7 to the number 8, and changing the actual text from "8" to "9". Adjust the location Y down 31 pixels.
3) Adjust the Y location of the SpellBook down 31 pixels.
4) Adjust the size of the window to be 31 pixels longer.
5) Add CSPW_Spell8 and Spell_Label_8 to the Pieces section the window.

I went to load the UI, and it loaded default instead. The error log reads as this:
Quote:
[Tue Oct 19 17:05:07 2004] [Line:208 Source:UIFiles\TestCaleal\EQUI_CastSpellWnd.xml] End tag doesn't equal start tag <Label> </>
[Tue Oct 19 17:05:07 2004] Error reading XML.
[Tue Oct 19 17:05:07 2004] Error loading skin: loading default skin instead.

Line 208 in the window looks like this:
Code:
<Label item="Spell_Label_1">

I'm stumped, what am I missing here?
Old 10-19-2004, 04:30 PM   #7
Ghismonda
A Treant

I'm hoping that there is something conceptual that I am missing, but just in case it's something wrong with my code, here's the original window and my non-working window files.
Attached Files
File Type: xml BROKEN_CastSpellWnd.xml (11.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: xml ORIGINAL_CastSpellWnd.xml (10.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 10-19-2004, 04:47 PM   #8
Ghismonda
A Treant

Holy crap, I figured it out. During my copy/paste, my text editor (UltraEdit) was changing things from /Label to /lable and /Text to /text. I have no idea WHY it was doing that, but that is what was causing my problems. Geeze oh man, this XML isn't nearly as forgiving as HTML that's for sure.

So now that I fixed those lowercase/uppercase instances, I'm getting the red "not compatible" warning when I load the UI. The 9 spell gems are there, but any insight into if I may have busted something a little bit?
Old 10-19-2004, 07:38 PM   #9
snowqueen
A Fire Beetle

Hey Ghismonda ,
I wish you success. I too love caleal2 and do not wish to change. If you are succsessful would you post it please as a download for us that have no clue as to how to do this. I wish I could help you.
Thank you for trying to undertake this task.
Again good luck,
Snow
snowqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 09:11 PM   #10
Weskat
A Tempest Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghismonda
Holy crap, I figured it out. During my copy/paste, my text editor (UltraEdit) was changing things from /Label to /lable and /Text to /text. I have no idea WHY it was doing that, but that is what was causing my problems. Geeze oh man, this XML isn't nearly as forgiving as HTML that's for sure.

So now that I fixed those lowercase/uppercase instances, I'm getting the red "not compatible" warning when I load the UI. The 9 spell gems are there, but any insight into if I may have busted something a little bit?

Gratz on finding the annoying error

On to the rest though, are you loading the full UI or just the cast spell window ?

If just the cast spell window please attach it
If the full UI, please test just the cast spell window to check that for errors.

Also if you have any info in your UI Errors file attach that also.

Weskat
Old 10-24-2004, 02:54 AM   #11
Ghismonda
A Treant

Default So far so good...

9th spell gem is working, group window is rearranged and mana numbers are added. Now just to fill in the extra space on hotkey window and work on the 'extras.'

Thanks for the help, input, and encouragement so far gang.

Weskat, sorry if this is a newb question, but how would go about testing only one window at a time?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Caleal_Ressurection_Oct24.jpg (74.2 KB, 52 views)
Old 10-24-2004, 03:08 AM   #12
Weskat
A Tempest Toad

To test just a single window:
1- make a UI folder named Test (name doesn't matter, just no spaces)
2- place only the window you want to test in that folder (ensure you include any required .tga files for that window. For example, if you are using custom bars in your group window you would have to include the custom bar .tga file in the "test" folder.)
3- Load up, log in and /loadskin test (this will load only the window you want to try, all other windows will be the default.)

This method works great when trying to piece a UI together from many different authors or when making your own to verify each window works. As you move along in the creation process, just add the new windows and you will see if they conflict with each other as well.

Looking good btw
Old 12-18-2004, 11:51 AM   #13
Waverlyn
A Gray Wolf

Are you still working on updating Caleal? I've been watching this thread with great hope.

All my attempts at fixing it have failed.
Waverlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 12:16 PM   #14
Ghismonda
A Treant

Yes, I've completed the main layout for the hybrid version. I've attached a screenshot at the bottom. I replaced the extra space and the selector window with the combat disciplines window, and completely ommitted the selector window since all of the windows can be triggered via alt+letter as well.

I'm still working on fixing the buff numbers (only up to 18 buffs, so hasn't been fully tested yet) and a target window that includes HOTT. I admit that I've lost a bit of steam since I have it working properly for my main box, but your gentle reminder should be enough to get my tuckas back into gear to finish it up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hybrid_12-18.jpg (81.5 KB, 65 views)
Old 01-16-2005, 07:26 PM   #15
galarion
A Fire Beetle

Default i <3 caleal!

OMG!

caleal is the only ui ive ever really been able to use, and its oow brokenness has been very dissapointing...whats the status on this ui man? is it out fo download anywhere yet? i need my old ui back lol, this hodgepodge of other ui's just aint cutting it

Galarion Darksong
Performer of <Unyielding>
Innoruuk
galarion is offline   Reply With Quote