Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > Graphics modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 09-11-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
thewrit
A Ghoul

Server: Lanys
Default Target Ring Help Please.

I wanted to create a target ring so I took one of the simple non animated guild target rings and modified it. It was a simple long strip with the guild name and some graphics. I opened Photoshop and made a duplicate of the Dark Blue ring and blacked out all the graphics. I then went and added my graphics to make it a simple blue stripe with small skulls on the outer and inner edge.

When I loaded it in the game to test it, it looks like it wraped it from top to bottom and not end to end.. Here is what it looks like in game.

I tried the Green, Lt Blue, White, and Red target rings that came with the zip that I didnt alter and they work fine. Im not sure what I did wrong or how to fix this. All I did was paint over the origional graphic with my own. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
thewrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 01:53 AM   #2
Desideratus
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Venril Sathir
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Did you resize the file in any way? It's the only thing I can think of, if all you have changed is the image.

Make sure your .tga has exactly the same dimensions as the original ... and that its visual orientation is the same ...
Desideratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 08:53 AM   #3
Thaii
A Gray Wolf

Send a message via Yahoo to Thaii

Nope.. here's your EXACT problem.. you have to save the file sideways as a .tga file and it will fix this problem.

"Never walk ALONE when you can learn to DANCE amoung friends...Be Loyal, Be Honest, Be Proud!"
Thaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
Thaii
A Gray Wolf

clearer definition.. i bet the first thing you did when you modified the file was to rotate your canvas 90degrees.. the file has to be saved in the same manner as it was when it was opened, IE. vertical lol. It's amazing how tedious this stuff is, but once figured out it is incredibly simple
Old 09-12-2005, 09:15 AM   #5
Desideratus
A Shissar Disciple

Thanks Thaii, your explanation was a lot clearer than my "Make sure ... its visual orientation is the same ...", what you said is what I meant ... I just don't have the knack with words sometimes
Old 09-12-2005, 09:59 AM   #6
Thaii
A Gray Wolf

pleasure buddy~ saw the pic and knew exactly what was up.. if u have more trouble send me an IM on yahoo messenger i'm tzap13
Old 09-12-2005, 02:32 PM   #7
rjengel
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Fennin Ro
Send a message via Yahoo to rjengel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewrit
I wanted to create a target ring so I took one of the simple non animated guild target rings and modified it. It was a simple long strip with the guild name and some graphics. I opened Photoshop and made a duplicate of the Dark Blue ring and blacked out all the graphics. I then went and added my graphics to make it a simple blue stripe with small skulls on the outer and inner edge.

When I loaded it in the game to test it, it looks like it wraped it from top to bottom and not end to end.. Here is what it looks like in game.

I tried the Green, Lt Blue, White, and Red target rings that came with the zip that I didnt alter and they work fine. Im not sure what I did wrong or how to fix this. All I did was paint over the origional graphic with my own. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

From the look of the screenshot you have here, I would say that the modified image you created was not saved in the exact format as the original one was. I know from Making Target Rings that the information you wish to have displayed has be on the furthest most LEFT Vertical Edge of the Image;
(example)

u
p

&

d
o
w
n

on the left hand side. or the target ring .ini file will just be looking at empty space or could be looking at only 1 portion of your image.
You might want to try a simple thing. Download my Target RING ini (CLICK ME) then open the provided .ini file, and scroll alllllll the way down to the bottom. There you will find a complete tell all about how to mod the Target Ring and what changing each number will do and so on.
rjengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 04:44 PM   #8
thewrit
A Ghoul

Yep, that was exctly the problem. I rotated the image to work on it and didn't rotate it back when I was done. Now my new problem is that I can't get the ring to wrap all the way around and touch seemlessly. I have a small gap where the two ends are supposed to meet. I tried adding on to the end of the image to make it a bit longer but when I did, it compressed the whole image into half a ring. Then I went in and srtetched the file a bit and almost got the ends to touch. Still working that problem. If anyone klnows of a simpler way to get the two ends to meet, please let me know and thank for all the help. I really appriceate it.

Rjengel, just downloaded your target ring and will look at the file in hopes of better understanding exactly how it works. Thanks
Old 09-17-2005, 02:25 AM   #9
thewrit
A Ghoul

/sigh

I have tried everything I can think of but nothing seems to work. I just can't get my ring to come together without have a small gap where the two ends of the graphig are pupposed to meet. It's driving me insane. Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong or how to fix it?
Old 09-17-2005, 05:23 AM   #10
Desideratus
A Shissar Disciple

Check the dimensions of your tga file, iirc to work correctly the file as a whole needs to be sized as a power of 2 in each direction, ie 16,32,64,128,256,512 etc.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:12 PM   #11
rjengel
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Fennin Ro
Send a message via Yahoo to rjengel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewrit
/sigh

I have tried everything I can think of but nothing seems to work. I just can't get my ring to come together without have a small gap where the two ends of the graphig are pupposed to meet. It's driving me insane. Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong or how to fix it?

For ease of description MOST target ring .tga files are set in 256X256 and make certain that the on the left hand side of the window is the image you want to show, and that it touches both TOP and BOTTOM I will attach a copy of the basic .tga file (in gif form so I can show it on forum) so you get a basic understanding of what the image should look like.

Review the attached image.

Hope this Helps to solve your porblem

Sincerely;
RJENGEL
Attached Images
File Type: gif TargetIndicator0.gif (1.6 KB, 60 views)
rjengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #12
thewrit
A Ghoul

Ok so far so good. Thanks for the help guys. I just have one more question. How do I get the inner edge of the target ring to not fade out. I don't want any fading on either edge but after trying different settings, I cant get it to not fade on the inner edge.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:00 PM   #13
thewrit
A Ghoul

Anyone able to help with fading?
Old 10-11-2005, 10:15 PM   #14
HyurticesVal
A Ghoul

What have you set your fadestart too? Are both fadestart and fadeend set to the same value?
HyurticesVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 02:31 AM   #15
thewrit
A Ghoul

Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner. these are the settings I am currently using.

[TargetIndicator]
FadeStart=0
FadeEnd=0
OpaqueStart=0
OpaqueEnd=0
InitialLength=1
GrowSpeed=1
FloorOffset=0.5
Additive=1
PointCount=64

[Trivial]
Texture=Green
TwistFactor=1.0
TwistSpeed=0.0
FrameCount=0
Duration=0
TextureScale=0.7
TextureSpeed=0.000
ScaleMin=0.5
ScaleMax=1.5
ScaleSpeed=1.0
Alpha=240
Red=255
Green=255
Blue=255
FloorOffset=0.5

All Con settings are of course the same as the Green one posted here.

Any idea what to change to get rid of the inner edge fade out and slight transparency of the whole ring?

Thanks.