Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > Graphics modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 09-23-2002, 05:18 PM   #1
Epiphany EQ
A Treant

Default Gaps in my frames

I tried to alter the frames for RoundedNoTitle to better match my style, but I was left with irritating gaps in the frame. I located where in windows01.tga the frame image is without any trouble. I drew my image over it with no problem, and I double-checked that the alpha channel matches my image correctly.

However, the right side of the frame only draws a single pixel wide, and the top right corner doesn't meet up. There is a one pixel gap between the top bar and the right bar. Because the right side of the frame is only one pixel wide, the top and bottom bars extend a few pixels past it leaving ugly overhangs.

So is the frame rendering code bugged? Did I do something wrong? Can I change the frame rendering code or make my own frame definition somehow?

While I'm at it, I've noticed that the Inside frame style acts a little strange too. The corners of the box seem to be shaded slightly differently than the edges. It basically matches my image, but the shading is quite annoying. Does anyone know about this?
Epiphany EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 07:44 PM   #2
Epiphany EQ
A Treant

Here's a screenshot that shows what I mean.

www.phank.com/images/epiphany/MyUI.jpg
Old 09-24-2002, 01:36 AM   #3
guice
Keeper of the Hampster

Server: Mithaniel Marr
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via AIM to guice Send a message via Yahoo to guice

This has to do with minor sizing and cordinate information.

I ran into problems like this a while back, but unfortunately it's been so long I really can't recall everything I did.

I would suggest to double/tripple check your cordinates and make sure everything is sizing as you would expect it.
http://www.chronology-guild.org/
guice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 03:10 AM   #4
Rolleo
A Snow Griffin

can you attach a copy of your window_piece.tga that you changed? Perhaps a second pair of eyes could help locate the problem. It might be that you aren't specifying the 100% exact coordinates in your/xmp files, but from my experience, the borders for the chat windows aren't user editable to that degree.

It (in my opinion at this point) is probably that when you positioned your image within the image map, you got it one pixel row off.
Rolleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 01:11 PM   #5
Epiphany EQ
A Treant

I'm at work right now, so I don't have access to the images. I'll take another look at it and post the TGA file as soon as I can. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:39 PM   #6
Epiphany EQ
A Treant

Ok I found the problem. It's now fixed. For anyone who might be suffering similar problems here's the deal: It seems that the image for the rounded frames has the right edge of the frame several pixels to the right of where the top-right and bottom right corners are. This is just bizarre, and I can't come up with any explanation for it, but there it is. So to create your frame correctly, you need to take the right edge of the frame, cut it out of your image and paste it several pixels to the right.
Old 09-26-2002, 01:02 AM   #7
guice
Keeper of the Hampster

Server: Mithaniel Marr
Send a message via AIM to guice Send a message via Yahoo to guice

There are parts within the Animations file where the defined dimensions of a graphic actually extended the actual physical graphic within the tga file.

So, when creating custom graphics, you really do need to try and keep within the exact physical graphics's size, or add your own dimension information.
guice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 01:00 PM   #8
Epiphany EQ
A Treant

Oh I definately was trying to keep to the original dimensions. It's just so bizarre to have arranged the frame the way they did, that I never even considered it was a possibility. It took me quite a while to realize that they really had done this. The way their images are so mottled, I just figured they wanted to create frames with little holes in them, and I corrected the holes when I made my images. After that it took me longer still to believe they really had done it on purpose. "Gee we have this frame graphic here, where shall we put the right edge of it?... How about we put it right here assembled like all the other frames?... Naw"
Old 09-26-2002, 01:06 PM   #9
tadashya
Pixel Pusher

Server: erollisi marr
Send a message via ICQ to tadashya Send a message via AIM to tadashya

windows_pieces01 is evil! eeeeeviiiiilll!!

*stalks off grumbling*

Original Artwork by Tadashya my current favorite sig slice
tadashya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2002, 01:08 PM   #10
Dothar
A Gray Wolf

*twitch* hehe i like twitching now camped Stormfeather for TOOOOOOOOOOOOO LONG
Dothar is offline   Reply With Quote