Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > Graphics modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 11-24-2002, 08:42 PM   #1
Vixyn
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Bristlebane
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via AIM to Vixyn Send a message via Yahoo to Vixyn
Default How do I do this? ~frustration...~

Ok, I've read through all the stuff in the info vault and help forums, and canna seem to find what I need.

I want to make a window that has what I want in it, but isn't square and doesn't take up so much space, you know? made and example gif of what I'm trying to do (well, I dun want it to look liek ~that~, but you get the point with the transparent areas)

Fairly sure on how to make the tga's themselves, just draw in whatever grx program you use, and save with the alpha layer where it should be. But don't know how to tell it where it is, or even how to point the windows to the image, or how to get it to load in EQ I suck
Attached Images
File Type: gif ex.gif (1.5 KB, 154 views)
Vixyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 10:49 PM   #2
aeluin
Denizen of the Interface

Server: Tholuxe Paelis
Send a message via AIM to aeluin

First of all, you should know that even if you make it so the window doesn't look square, that transparent cutout will still be considered by EQ to be part of the window; you can see through it but you can't click through it and if there's another window under it you won't be able to use the functions of that window.

Secondly, the key to using custom tga files for window backgrounds is fund in EQUI_Templates.xml. That has a bunch of templates that tell EQ how to draw the windows, including what background image file to use. Take a look at how the default window templates are set up, then try making your own.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring; renewed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king." -Aragorn's Theme by J.R.R. Tolkien
aeluin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 11:05 PM   #3
Vixyn
A Shissar Disciple

So that means if I want to make a... round?... window it won't work?
Old 11-24-2002, 11:42 PM   #4
aeluin
Denizen of the Interface

Well...depends what you mean by 'work'. You can make a window that *looks* round, but the only way to define a window size in EQ is as a set of x,y dimensions, creating a rectangle. Hence you can have your pretty little round window but if you click on the transparent corners around the circle you'll get the window, not what's behind it. (exception is chatwindows- you can click through them.)
Old 11-25-2002, 04:06 PM   #5
Vixyn
A Shissar Disciple

heheh, I dun care if I can click through them or not I really just wanna learn how to do something like this and make a better looking skin the box look is... boring... you know?
Old 11-25-2002, 10:27 PM   #6
aeluin
Denizen of the Interface

/agree

the only other problem will be that you can't make a resizeable window this way; by default when you resize a window EQ will tile the background. But that shouldn't be a big issue unless you want round chatwindows.

*begs the entire EQGUI community* PLEASE don't make a Mr. Bananaman-shaped window! Pleeeeeease?!?!
Old 11-25-2002, 11:34 PM   #7
tadashya
Pixel Pusher

Server: erollisi marr
Send a message via ICQ to tadashya Send a message via AIM to tadashya

The only problem with having lots of non square stuff if you have to have it all scattered around the screen or else you will be constantly trying to grab or click a window and dragging the handles of another.

circles do indeed work though. Triangles as well.. it would be better to take a square and embed (via graphics) other shapes such as triangles, diamonds, hex's etx.

Original Artwork by Tadashya my current favorite sig slice
tadashya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 06:39 PM   #8
Vixyn
A Shissar Disciple

What I'm aing for is one standard window, made, most likely, from the hotbutton window, as you cannot, to my knowledge, move the hotbutton boxes. I dislike a lot of big windows cluttering up my screen. One big window would do it ~winks~ I have made a TGA that shows, roughly, what I am aiming at making, and as you can see, its not quite square. the 2 top ovals would be for a target HP guage, and a your HP guage ( I have found that it does seem to be easier to keep track of your hp's if there is both a guage and a numeric/percent showing also)

Attached is the TGA I made.
Attached Files
File Type: zip vision.zip (39.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-27-2002, 06:55 PM   #9
Vixyn
A Shissar Disciple

I am following psychogears' tut on this... but there are a few problems I am having. How the @#!@# do I figure out the images location? It's size? I have both Paintshop Pro and Photoshop 7, but am not finding this info
Old 11-27-2002, 08:35 PM   #10
Vixyn
A Shissar Disciple

Well, after a bottle of tylenol, much glaring at the screen, and trial and error, I managed to figure this @#$% thing out on my own. I just make an image in the allowed dimensions, ignore location. ignore image size. Lots of cutting. Tons of pasting... walla... I figured it out. Now to make a ~real~ tga and try it out. (By real, I mean the zip was a thrown together example of what I was aiming for)
Old 11-28-2002, 01:05 AM   #11
tadashya
Pixel Pusher

Server: erollisi marr
Send a message via ICQ to tadashya Send a message via AIM to tadashya

in photoshop 7 what you are looking for is the info window. It will show the exact coordinates of your cursor at the moment and the size of your current selection (ie 66 x 34 rectangle at x23 y29)

sorry I'm a little late with the info
tadashya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 09:03 AM   #12
Vixyn
A Shissar Disciple

Heheh, thanks Better late than never, as they say Now if I could just figure out why my spell cast window BG won't load (I editted the animations and templates window. it *should* wprk, as I did exactly the same thing as I did with the hotkeys window I made, and the hotkeys window works fine).

**back to the drawing board, as people are wont to say**

EDIT: Well, I figured that one out too Simply needed to rename the .tga file ( it wasn't liking the name scb.tga , too short, maybe?)

Last edited by Vixyn : 11-28-2002 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-29-2002, 01:57 AM   #13
aeluin
Denizen of the Interface

been seeing this crop up more and more lately- seems EQ's quite finicky about filenames.