Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Help ! ? ! ?
User Name
Password

Old 07-31-2002, 01:22 AM   #1
external
A Treant

Default Ok, I'm XML Stupid

Alirght, where does one need to go to learn this silly thing we call XML? I am more of a graphics person, but it seems i will have to know a bit about XML in order to get things the way i like them. (IE making each window have a certain border/background) Anyone point me in a good direction?
Old 07-31-2002, 02:17 AM   #2
Nennayan
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Brell Serilis
Send a message via ICQ to Nennayan Send a message via AIM to Nennayan

I'm more of a graphics guy than a XML guy myself, but I'm learning, with the help of this board. I really don't think you'll find a better source of info than this. Try using the search function, it's helped me a lot.

[edit: Apparently I'm more of a graphics guy than a spelling guy as well /grin]
Old 07-31-2002, 02:23 AM   #3
comtesse
A Ghoul

the best thing to do is look at the default files and compare them to the mods pepole have posted here, then go into a copy of the default skin and play around with it and see what you can break and change, note what you did and how it changes the layout of things, once you understand the basics, like adding text guages or lables then move up to more dificult things and work you way to the backgrounds and when you get stuck ask questions here about what you want

hope this helps
comtesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 04:35 AM   #4
jeremyf
A Gray Wolf

Server: Bertoxx
Default Re: Ok, I'm XML Stupid

To be honest you don't need to know anything about XML to be able to change the interface. The most complex part is understanding what you can and can't include. As mentioned already, if you copy the original file from the default directory you can then change it to your requirements. The main thing is to keep an item together ie

<InvSlot item = "InvSlot1">
<ScreenID>InvSlot1</ScreenID>
</InvSlot>

The value inside ScreenID i think is used by the engine and must stay the same. The item name can change but must match with the Pieces decleration in the window definition. It appears certain items are expected on a window. Inside the item definition is a field called EQType. This tells the engine what the item is. For your first attempt try just moving things around using the Location values.

Quote:
Originally posted by external
Alirght, where does one need to go to learn this silly thing we call XML? I am more of a graphics person, but it seems i will have to know a bit about XML in order to get things the way i like them. (IE making each window have a certain border/background) Anyone point me in a good direction?
jeremyf is offline   Reply With Quote