Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > General authoring help / discussion
User Name
Password

Old 02-06-2003, 06:09 PM   #1
Mortac
A Ghoul

Default Is SOE thinking at all?

I'm getting very tired of having to update my UI-files with almost every patch nowadays. I'd say that either SOE isn't thinking at all since the by some reason decide to change the UI-files all the time or they just don't care what the players think. They should do patches to the UI like once every two months at most. It would be a lot better to have a big update very rarely than being forced to update and fix your files every two weeks.

I also think they should at least make some kind of effort in testing their patches. This latest bug that makes the windows partly outside of the screen move around with every zone or login would obviously be noticed by two minutes of testing or whatever. Sometimes I doubt they even test what they program for longer than 10 seconds! Seems as if they let everything go live and then when the people notice the bugs they patch a couple more times, with hours of downtime every time.

Bah. I'm just getting too annoyed with it. People agree?
Mortac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 07:17 PM   #2
sc2kmayor
An_Arcane_Lurker

Server: Mithaniel Marr <The Mages of The Mist>
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Hmmm....

Sony has a standard UI. They cannot support every custom UI, so they don't test our custom UI's.

But at the very least, they should think about WHAT they are updating...windows_pieces04 twice or 3 times? They should have made a new TGA, resting in the very public knowledge that so many people have modded the original....

...or MAYBE .. we as better coders, should not use their graphics setups. We could have created a compass.tga standard that they would never have written over. We could use Statix Method to be patch proof and completely recode any window with our own naming conventions to prevent SOE's lame patches.

Remelio's Animations updates could be refered in the header of a different Animations file if all the names were changed and we manually chose which ClassAnimWiz ClassAnimBST we wanted, but there is just too much to consider.

Overall, I have to be frustrated as all you-know-what, that I'm spending 3 hours recoding a mod that was working flawlessly, but maybe I didn't follow the rules properly when I wrote it the first time, and now I'm learning a little more about how to do it right....at least I'm not 100% in the game...at least its becoming a learning experience....(hope I can keep convincing myself of this....)
Old 02-07-2003, 01:03 PM   #3
grottel
Grimling Code Editor

Server: Xev
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

The flawed concept is having a "download-only" expansion. To accomplish this feat, they are trying to push batches of files. However, they have failed to consider all the file dependencies. They have also, pushed code to the LIVE servers that was never seen on TEST.

A much cleaner patch method for an entire expansion would be to patch all the files into a temporary directory until the expansion goes live. Then, on the 24th, there would be a TINY patch that activate and move all the previously downloaded files into their proper locations in the Everquest directory structure.

Additionally, I've sickened at having to re-download patcher TGA files because I had to re-install Luclin. There are much better ways of managing files than outright replacement.
grottel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 01:17 PM   #4
Wulfig
A Bat

The problem is, that SOE, unlike any other program with a skinable UI, doesn't have an unchaning "standard" that the user/fan base can adhere to in making their custom UIs/Skins. SOE does not do this. They need to.
Wulfig is offline   Reply With Quote