Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > General UI Talk > hybrids
User Name
Password

Old 06-13-2003, 02:14 PM   #1
Kelric

Server: Brell Serilis
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default What makes a Hybrid UI?

This may seem a silly question... but I've been thinking: what specifically makes a Hybrid UI?

Of course, there may be different answers depending on what class one plays, but I think this could a profitable and interesting discussion, and hopefully helpful for developers as they create new windows and UI's.

- In general, what things are absolutely necessary for a Hybrid UI?

- What things aren't necessary, or get in the way?

- Are there particular windows, arrangements, or features that are important to have in a Hybrid class UI?

- Are there things specific to each classes UI's that maybe the others wouldn't have or need?

- What other comments do you have about UI's for Hybrid class characters?

I'm looking forward to the discussion!
Old 06-13-2003, 06:02 PM   #2
Kelric

Server: Brell Serilis

Well, since my main is a Ranger, I'll start.

I know I like to be able to see target HP, my HP, and group HP all fairly close, and my mana and stamina right there as well. I like to see my stats without having to open up the Inventory, especially ATK and AC.

I don't need a Pet Window (though obviously Shadowknights, Beastlords, and Bards DO), but I do like to have an easy to access spellbar, and hotbutton setup with all my inventory slots included. I also find it helpful to have all the weapon slots visible in the containers.

What about the rest of you?
Kelric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 02:02 PM   #3
Empere
A Hill Giant

I haven't found much to alter about the UI with respect to hybrid classes. I've played a VS Beastlord almost exclusively (almost lv 40 now) for the entire year+ I've been playing.

Basically it comes down to effective targeting, like most other classes. Everything beyond that, I write social keys to handle the glut of the work (/pet sit before I go running out to pull being a good example). I think putting the casting and target bars together is a pretty common theme, and everything else is limited by the amount of information we can get from EQ regarding the pet's stats. Personally, what I would love (this is a wish-list item) would be an Effects Window for the pet!! Unfortunately we don't have the luxury, and pretty much all we can do is route the wear-off messages to a separate window for easier viewing amongst battle-spam.

Otherwise, it's pretty much as you've already said, enhanced player window pretty much covers it.
who plays on Povar.
Empere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 03:54 PM   #4
wbrrvp
A Fire Beetle

Server: Tarew Marr

I use GrownFixed with my Beastlord. I like how the player window and group window stack right on top each other. The down side is the pet commands and health bar are lower and to right of the group window, but this works good with other classes that don't have pets. It does have the pet health bar under each player’s health bar so I tend to use that to keep an eye on my pet and others pets. I've had to make a couple changes to the UI bc it hasn't been update with all the patches, but I like the lack of borders and the layout. I do have the chat windows arranged differently though.

I keep a hot button programmed with "/pet health" this will get your pet to report his health and I’ll buffs he currently has. Saves making a separate window to track his buffs as suggested.

Gurar Darclaw
44lvl Vah Shir Beastlord
Tarrew Marr (sp?)
wbrrvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 02:27 PM   #5
Empere
A Hill Giant

Cool, I had forgotten about the /pet health function!!
Empere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 10:36 PM   #6
rjengel2002
A Treant

Server: Fennin Ro
Send a message via AIM to rjengel2002
Default What A Hybrid Needs

I mainly Play my Monk.. which I use my own GEN.X UI that I designed... But it doesnt seem to have the same functionality when I play my Bard... So I made a few changes to the Group Window... to Display Health % for each memebr as well as the the gauge and Health % for Pets... I think for a Hybrid you have to have the basis needs fullfilled for both a Caster and a Melee which can be difficult to juggle both at the same time without losing functionality all together...

Just my 2cp

E-MAIL KATH
EQUIBUILDER
rjengel2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 12:01 PM   #7
issey
A Tundra Mammoth

Server: fv, stormhammer

Mouse heavy 2 boxer of a cleric and pally (both 51) with pally on main screen. So, her set is a cleric's. When I group, I usually play just the pally so...

Healing is needed at times, me in group window but unlike the cleric, she needs a very compact one with just health bars. Pets can be a line underneath. (cleric uses gep mod with pets seperated out)

Resist info is something I need as it takes a bit for me to decipher what has faded in my buff box.

It would be neat to have spell gems frame the target bar. I have stun, stun, root and stun loaded, lol. If we have no crowd control, I peel off and stun the things that hit casters, then root.

I know this is probably not possible, but I can dream, lol....
Pickup groups with their ever changing members cause me problems. I wish there was a icon, letter or some class symbol beside each player name in my group bar.