Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Interface Gallery Discussion > Released
User Name
Password

Old 11-20-2003, 05:37 PM   #181
rouge
A Bat

I must be doing something wrong.... I created 3 custom timers, then put them in the UI directory that I currently use.

I then loaded the skin, and hit Alt F, and sure enough, there were the timers. But I can't figure out how to use them. They are grey, with nothing in the slider. If I move the slider marker, the timer still says 0:00:00, and no moving slider bar appears. If I hit the left and right arrows, I can see the colours on the arrows when I press them, and the slider marker moves around, but the timer still stays at 0:00:00 and no bar appears.

What am I missing?
rouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 07:55 AM   #182
Arista
TimerMod Creator

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Quote:
Originally posted by Soleanla
Ok, so I put the Timer in my Gems window, as I never play it. However, having the timer up, renders me unable to move, as the game thinks I am playing gems! Any ideas on how to solve this dilemma?

Soleanla - as Amitan points out in one of the posts above, there is a note on the timer page indicating a workaround for this (close and re-open the gems window). Unfortunately, this behavior is a "feature" of the gems window that only Sony can modify. As long you close the gems window (via ESC or context menu) one time after the first time the gems window is opened, you can re-open it afterward and still move around as usual.

Quote:
Originally posted by Amitan
Is it possible to merge lets say music window with the timer?
Using a custom music window and wanted to merge those windows. Know its gonna be alot of editing but could it be done?

Amitan - yes, this can be done. The file would need to be manually modified to include all the <Pieces> from both your custom music window and the timer. Once the XML elements for all the pieces are included, you'll need to tweak the <Location> of each piece to arrange them as desired within the window (which would most likely need to be made larger to accomodate everything).

Quote:
Originally posted by rouge
I must be doing something wrong.... I created 3 custom timers, then put them in the UI directory that I currently use.

I then loaded the skin, and hit Alt F, and sure enough, there were the timers. But I can't figure out how to use them. They are grey, with nothing in the slider. If I move the slider marker, the timer still says 0:00:00, and no moving slider bar appears. If I hit the left and right arrows, I can see the colours on the arrows when I press them, and the slider marker moves around, but the timer still stays at 0:00:00 and no bar appears.

What am I missing?

rouge - it sounds like you've created timers with zero duration (the text on each timer is a static label indicating the duration of the timer). For the timer bar to appear, you must specify a non-zero duration for each timer. The duration you choose should be the length of the event you want to time. The bar runs in a continuously looping animation; when you want to begin timing, you simply move the slider to point to the bar's current position. The bar will keep moving and reach the slider's position again when exactly one full duration of the timer has elapsed. Here are some usage examples from the FAQ:
Quote:
Let's say that you want to time an ability like mend, which is available every 6 minutes. So you would create a timer with a 6-minute duration. Whenever you use mend, move the slider to the current position of the bar. It will take the bar exactly 6 minutes to reach the slider again. Or if you want to time a buff like Spirit of Wolf, which lasts 36 minutes, you would make a 36-minute timer. Whenever you cast Spirit of Wolf, move the slider to the current position of the bar. As the bar approaches the slider again, you'll know when the buff is about to wear off.

Arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 08:11 AM   #183
Amitan
a_magician_01

Send a message via ICQ to Amitan Send a message via MSN to Amitan

Just got it to work fine. Was not to hard and came out fine. Thanks to Arista for making the code easy to figure out.
Amitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 06:22 PM   #184
Nighpeh
A Bat

First off, as everyone else has told you, these things are great This will be very nice for the camp I am looking forward to doing.

If I can get them to work...
Ive created several and downloaded them to my UI folder. However when I go to unzip them it tells me the files are corrupted or missing... any clue what this is about, or is it just my computer's fault?
Nighpeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2003, 02:31 PM   #185
Arista
TimerMod Creator

When you click the button to generate and download the timer files, your browser should prompt you to download a single .zip file. This .zip file should contain 3 files, which should be unzipped into your UI folder. If you are running into some problems, here are some things you can try:

1) If you used a browser other than Internet Explorer, try downloading the file using Internet Explorer (5.5 or 6.0).

2) Try downloading the file from a different computer if you have access to one.

3) Open the .zip file in WinZip to make sure it is a valid archive, and that there are 3 files in there.

4) If all else fails, and you are still getting invalid files, send me the .zip file that you downloaded and I'll take a look.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-16-2003, 05:15 PM   #186
ztrevelyan
A Ghoul

Server: XEV
Default Love the timers

Got a question.

Is it impossible or very difficult to code a stopwatch type timer?

Something with start and stop buttons? I ask because with the timer I am using, when I want to restart it at 0, I have to reload the entire UI, some people that may take a little while (depending on machine) in my case, after the reload, I am already about 15 seconds (or so) in the timer. There is also no way to stop the timer once I am done timeing something.

I normally time stuff like how long does it take to get from point A to point B, or timing something new and waiting for it to pop. Having a stop watch style with start and stop buttons would be great!

I also use it to determine how much XP I am getting per minute/hour.

Thanks!

Tom
ztrevelyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 05:45 PM   #187
Kaiena
A Gray Wolf

Server: Fennin Ro

Aye, I agree with ztrevelyan on the start and stop buttons!! Just downloaded these timers not to long ago and was thinking if they were more like stopwatch timers they would be PERFECT!!
I started playing EQ just over 6 months ago so I am still kinda new to EQ and I dont like having to mess with the slider bars to "start" the timer, a start and stop button would be much more convenient and easier for me to use while playing.

Kaiena 58 Preserver
Aaidon 31 Cleric
"The Folk" of Fennin Ro

Last edited by Kaiena : 12-16-2003 at 06:35 PM.
Kaiena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 10:04 PM   #188
Arista
TimerMod Creator

Default Re: Love the timers

Quote:
Originally posted by ztrevelyan
Got a question. Is it impossible or very difficult to code a stopwatch type timer? Something with start and stop buttons?
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiena
Aye, I agree with ztrevelyan on the start and stop buttons!! Just downloaded these timers not to long ago and was thinking if they were more like stopwatch timers they would be PERFECT!!

Unfortunately, due to the limitations of UI mods, this isn't possible to do. Player-made UI mods can pretty much only alter the appearance of the UI. New functionality can only be added by Sony. For a more detailed explanation, please read my post on this subject: Impossible Enhancements. Hopefully that post will answer most of your questions.

Quote:
Originally posted by ztrevelyan
I ask because with the timer I am using, when I want to restart it at 0, I have to reload the entire UI, some people that may take a little while (depending on machine) in my case, after the reload, I am already about 15 seconds (or so) in the timer. There is also no way to stop the timer once I am done timeing something.

Instead of reloading the UI, I would recommend that you use the sliders found on the bar timers. The sliders were added so you never need to reload the UI. Even though slider timers are the easiest to use for fixed-duration events (such as buffs/debuffs and abilities) where the duration of the timer matches the duration of the event exactly, they can also be used to time variable-duration events by creating timers with round-number durations (like 30 minutes or 60 minutes). For example, with a 30-minute timer, each small notch represents one minute, and each large notch represents 5 minutes.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:23 AM   #189
Puggins
A Fire Beetle

Default Site Down?

The UI timer site has been down for the last 24 hours... is it ocming back sometime soon, I hope?
Puggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 12:45 PM   #190
Arista
TimerMod Creator

Default Re: Site Down?

Quote:
Originally posted by Puggins
The UI timer site has been down for the last 24 hours... is it ocming back sometime soon, I hope?

The DNS information for the web server has changed. The site should become accessible again within a day or so when the new information is done propagating, sorry for the downtime.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:54 PM   #191
Ultrax
A Snow Griffin

Server: Fennin Ro/Mithaniel Marr
Send a message via AIM to Ultrax

:-\ The UI Timer site isn't working..

Edit: I'm stupid.. Didn't see post above mine.. :-P
Ultrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 03:09 PM   #192
Puggins
A Fire Beetle

Default Re: Re: Site Down?

Quote:
Originally posted by Arista
The DNS information for the web server has changed. The site should become accessible again within a day or so when the new information is done propagating, sorry for the downtime.

Whew.... :P

The downtime is fine. I'm just glad that it's only temporary. To add my praise on top of everybody else's... what a great bit of coding! Congrats and can't wait for it to come up so I can modify mine again!
Puggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:23 AM   #193
Arista
TimerMod Creator

Exclamation Timer generator temporarily disabled

The site's back up now, but apparently there is another problem with the web server. I've disabled the timer generator for now, and have contacted the web host to try to get the problem resolved. Thanks for your patience, and I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:06 PM   #194
Arista
TimerMod Creator

Smile Timer generator back online

The timer generator is back up and running. Thank you for your patience during the few days of downtime.
Old 02-20-2004, 03:36 PM   #195
ztrevelyan
A Ghoul

Server: XEV

Love the times, also I like the slider timers.

Will you be making an option to use the combat window? Being a Druid, I have no use for that window at this time.
ztrevelyan is offline   Reply With Quote