User Name
Password

Old 08-25-2004, 01:00 PM   #31
Crackmaster
A Snow Griffin

Server: Tarew Marr
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via AIM to Crackmaster

Beautiful pictures, cognitur. I had a site like that a while back, but I lost it after a while. Thanks very much for the link!
Old 09-02-2004, 12:55 PM   #32
Neori
A Snow Cougar

Server: Tunare
Send a message via ICQ to Neori

I just ran into this story on Fark:

CNN.com - Space signal studied for alien contact

I'm not sure how possible it might be, since it seems a bit early to jump the gun. But it's something to keep an eye on.

Mandayilie D'Seet - 51 enchanter
Kinyrae F`Lorn - 54 necromancer
-----------------------------------
[re-retired]
-----------------------------------
Former Guildmistress of Angelfire Glory - Tunare server
Neori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 02:00 PM   #33
Crackmaster
A Snow Griffin

Server: Tarew Marr
Send a message via AIM to Crackmaster

Wow great news article!
Quote:
The potentially extraterrestrial signals were picked up through the SETI+home project, which uses programs running as screensavers on millions of personal computers worldwide to sift through the huge amount of data picked up by the telescope.

It could've been one of us!
Crackmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 04:05 PM   #34
Qinadwen
An Executioner

Server: Venril Sathir

From SETI@home website :
Quote:
While this makes SHGb02+14a interesting, the chances that it actually represents an intelligent signal from beyond remain extremely slim.
Quote:
Furthermore, as we reported in the SETI@home Update of May 17, 2004, the fact that this candidate’s frequency drifts rapidly makes it extremely improbable that it is a transmission from extraterrestrials.
Quote:
A signal that drifts so quickly that it can only be heard for seconds at a time at a given frequency can only be detected by blind luck. Needless to say, such a transmission is an unlikely vehicle for message from an advanced civilization.
Of course I will still keep my fingers crossed

Baron Qinadwen Loreseeker, Koada'Dal Conjurer of the 56th plane.

Thomas Jefferson:
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases."
Qinadwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 06:42 PM   #35
draxshar
A Ghoul

This is the first time I've run into this, but I had to jump in because I think its a worthwhile cause. I have a question for those that have run this before. I was delving into the SETI site and was considering going ahead and downloading the BOINC based version since they will eventually be going to that anyway. My question is, what happens to the data that the old SETI@Home is working on, since its not uploaded until its complete? The only reason I'm asking here is that I couldn't find an answer on SETI's site.

draxshar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:31 PM   #36
Taleisin

not really sure what happens, I just downloaded BOINC to look it over..

I myself can't get it to work, but if anyone is out there who knows, I'd be most interested in finding out as well, if workunits can be transfered to the new seti
Old 09-02-2004, 07:39 PM   #37
Qinadwen
An Executioner

Server: Venril Sathir

Quote:
Originally Posted by draxshar
This is the first time I've run into this, but I had to jump in because I think its a worthwhile cause. I have a question for those that have run this before. I was delving into the SETI site and was considering going ahead and downloading the BOINC based version since they will eventually be going to that anyway. My question is, what happens to the data that the old SETI@Home is working on, since its not uploaded until its complete? The only reason I'm asking here is that I couldn't find an answer on SETI's site.
I believe they (after x time that it hasnt been delivered back) put it back in queue for download and processing.
Qinadwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:53 PM   #38
Novawulf
A Glorified Port Mule

Server: The Nameless

I've played with the BOINC software and I'm not too impressed with it all that much ... lots of eye candy over the old system and I process it a little slower then the old system but one thing that got me is that I'm on full time DSL connection and its fails to get updates on a regular basis. It times out for a hour before it tries again to get a new chuck of data for me to process... I can be 1/3 done in an hour on my P4 2.8(E) with dual channel 1GB ram .. and to go 4-5 hours with out an update which is what has been happening isn't helping the Seti community.

I've tried to force an update to get new data with out any luck so I've un-installed it and went back with the old tried and true setting.

BOINC seems to be set up to process other activities like SETI at the same time. I'll look into it again futher once there is more then one product to analyise.

Novawulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:19 PM   #39
cognitur
A Hill Giant

Default Boinc

I tried BOINC when they first made it available. It would not work reliably so I deleted it and went back to the old version. I don't use seti as a screensaver so the graphics are irrevelant. They will eventually get all the bugs worked out.

It is interesting that the frequency of the candidate signal shifts. That could be Frequency Modulation which has real advantages over Amplitude Modulation. Maybe ... More than likely a bad chip in the receiver.

I know the record of work units completed survived the change to BOINC and back to the original version because I did just that. A work unit that is not completed for whatever reason is simply re-assigned to another computer after some set time. Actually, all workunits are assigned to more than one computer for quality control.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:25 AM   #40
Inokis
Pale Scrawny Guy

Server: Bristlebane // Erollisi Marr
Send a message via Yahoo to Inokis

Taking into account the span of Time as a whole. Consider that this probably is just one phase of the universe creating and destroying itself. We could exist in the first cycle or we could be on the 1millionth cycle. What are the chances that another life form could exist at the same point in time as ours? Given the span of time, reasoning and probability, I'd bet that two civilizations won't probably co exist. One will die out before the other is at a point where they could communicate. If they did manage to co exist, the chance of them being in a relatively close proximity for either of their technologies to provide a means of communicating is even more remote than the possibility of them existing at the same time.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:26 AM   #41
Taleisin

ohh hush Doctor Who
Old 09-03-2004, 03:29 PM   #42
mortis42
eqmods.mortis42.net

Server: Rodcet Nife
Send a message via ICQ to mortis42 Send a message via AIM to mortis42 Send a message via MSN to mortis42 Send a message via Yahoo to mortis42

I tried BOINC when they first announced it and could never get it working properly. There was some kind of DNS problem and BOINC ws trying to send the workunits to the wrong server.

I have no problems with the old version, and if they discontinue it, I would be more likely to move to a command-line version than use BOINC.
mortis42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 12:40 PM   #43
stoneaxe
A Fire Beetle

Ill join your group.
stoneaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 05:26 PM   #44
Taleisin

welcome Stoneaxe
Old 09-13-2004, 06:56 AM   #45
Hcetrepus
A Ghoul

Jeesh it has been a while since I did any of these. My old stats are still there though. I guess I should try and run some WUs on this machine to see how fast they can crank out now.

Hcetrepus is offline   Reply With Quote