User Name
Password

Old 01-21-2003, 07:09 PM   #1
Hijiun
A Snow Cougar

Server: Karana
Send a message via AIM to Hijiun
Default WTH (Heck) is a Story Window

you can gather my problem from the subject just curious i wanted to play with it but how do i open it?
Hijiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:42 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Blah Teach me to post without verifying (only used it once myself)

What Kudane says.

Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group

Last edited by Cairenn : 01-21-2003 at 08:08 PM.
Cairenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:44 PM   #3
Tobin Itharel
A Wooly Rhino

Server: Saryrn

Place a file named storyFILENAME.txt into the STORTLINE directory and that html text file become part of the list of files in the story window.

This gives us full access to the STML box now. This is a GREAT thing.
Tobin Itharel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:44 PM   #4
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony

actually its ALT-N

ALT-H is help window..

.: Have a question? Read this :.
[ F.A.Q ]
Kudane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 07:46 PM   #5
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobin Itharel
Place a file named storyFILENAME.txt into the STORTLINE directory and that html text file become part of the list of files in the story window.

This gives us full access to the STML box now. This is a GREAT thing.

the problem is, the STORYLINE box is outside the UI folder, there by breaking the EULA to change anything in that folder.. and anything in there will most likely get overwritten when the next installment of a story comes down the line..

I would be very cautious about using this for a UI mod, you maybe sadly suprised..
Kudane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 10:50 PM   #6
Hijiun
A Snow Cougar

Server: Karana
Send a message via AIM to Hijiun

Wow you guys rock i posted only a couple of hours ago and i have already hade 4 respones thanks alot i am going to go try it =) wish me luck
Hijiun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 04:45 PM   #7
Tobin Itharel
A Wooly Rhino

Quote:
Originally posted by Kudane
the problem is, the STORYLINE box is outside the UI folder, there by breaking the EULA to change anything in that folder.. and anything in there will most likely get overwritten when the next installment of a story comes down the line..

I would be very cautious about using this for a UI mod, you maybe sadly suprised..
I agree, the EULA does NOT allow you to change anything in the directories outside the uifiles subdirectory. However, if a single file is ADDED to the storyline directory that then links many files placed in the uifiles directory tree... you have not broken the "change" rule. IMHO

Time will tell - SOE would need to edit the wording of the EULA to say NO files may be added to the directories in the everquest file system except uifiles. The storyFILENAME.txt format allows their new files and a user file added without overwrite. The program would need to be changed to stop this usage. And is this in SOE's best intrest to force this limitation?
Old 02-03-2003, 06:29 PM   #8
SupaThrax
A Fire Beetle

Along with what Tobin said...

The patcher won't erase story files added to that directory. You can add as many files/directories as you want anywhere in the EQ installation... the Patcher will only overwrite if it detects it's files are modified.
SupaThrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 06:35 PM   #9
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Quote:
Originally posted by Tobin Itharel
I agree, the EULA does NOT allow you to change anything in the directories outside the uifiles subdirectory. However, if a single file is ADDED to the storyline directory that then links many files placed in the uifiles directory tree... you have not broken the "change" rule. IMHO

Time will tell - SOE would need to edit the wording of the EULA to say NO files may be added to the directories in the everquest file system except uifiles. The storyFILENAME.txt format allows their new files and a user file added without overwrite. The program would need to be changed to stop this usage. And is this in SOE's best intrest to force this limitation?

To play devil's advocate here ...

As you say, if you add a file to the directory, you have not changed any of the existing files within the directory. But, you have still changed the directory itself, have you not? The addition of a file is a change to the directory in and of itself, which breaks the EULA of not changing anything outside of the uifiles directory.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:07 AM   #10
Kiegh
An Icepaw Kobold

Server: Fennin Ro
Send a message via AIM to Kiegh

Cairenn <3 all! omgz

Lay down the law and whatnot, Cairenn to pwn the msg board w/ quick wittedness

Kiegh
~omg~
Kiegh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 07:47 AM   #11
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Bah! Just trying to keep the conversation going, it is fun to have one that stretches our minds.
Old 02-04-2003, 12:21 PM   #12
Tobin Itharel
A Wooly Rhino

Default I called and asked

YOU CAN USE THE DIRECTORY

I call SOE 3 times and ASKED 3 different people and I was told there is NO PROBLEM with adding files to the storyline directory. I told them that I wanted to MAKE SURE this did NOT go aganst the EULA and was told it was OK. I even waited while the rep checked with a supervisor.

I told the rep I was going to do tradeskill information in the files and have it link other files on my computer in the uifiles directory. All they said was that they would give NO SUPPORT for any changes done like this.

And to make sure I asked if they were going to restrict the directory in the future and was told they do not give that type of information out.

So, with this I would suggest a very small storyFilename.txt file be use that links other files placed in a subdirectory in you uifiles directory.

I'll call again next week too ... Just to make sure
Old 05-12-2003, 08:29 AM   #13
Aedaen Darklaef
A Treant

Server: Terris Thule
Send a message via ICQ to Aedaen Darklaef
Talking

Well, I thought this post would be the god send I was looking for. Well it was sort of... I was able to get the new storySpoo.txt to show up in the story window , and after fiddling with getting the local file path linkage correct, the UI found my file and proceeded to lock my machine ! Are tables not supported in STML ? Or is this type of link out not supported in the window ? Any insight is appreciated as usual..

-Edit
Well I did some looking around and saw others linking out in the file, so it must have been the content of the txt file that choked up the executable, to be continued...

(Click me I wont bite)

Last edited by Aedaen Darklaef : 05-12-2003 at 09:30 AM.
Aedaen Darklaef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 11:48 PM   #14
Kilamon
A Snow Cougar

If you're concerned about the patcher trying to delete your files, just mark them read only.