Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > General authoring help / discussion
User Name
Password

Old 12-01-2005, 02:59 AM   #1
Sitkatara
A Gray Wolf

Default .tga Question

I have searched everywhere but there is no definite answer I can find, so...

In reference to lag, does having .tga's in the primary UI slow a system down? Now to explain. I modified the group window to have all the invientory slots. The background choices I have are A_recessed_box (or something like that), and A_(whateverslot like hands)_box. There is only 1 tga for recessed box and 20, 22, something like that different item slots. Basically it would be like running around with the inventory window open all the time. Reason I am asking is I will modify the itemboxes .tga file to what I want if it would have no effect. And I am running a P3 650MHz w/ 386 MB, so even small differences are exaggerated. Any ideas?

Thanks
Sitkatara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:01 PM   #2
sneakemz
A Crystal Gargoyle

Server: torv
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

I dont think that the .tga files is youe problem, The default ui is full of them by the way.

I would get a new system
sneakemz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:20 PM   #3
danny91643
A Lost Soul

Server: Zek

I would have to agree, you really should try an upgrade your system, esp. in the memory department.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:24 AM   #4
Sitkatara
A Gray Wolf

Ah, if only I had the luxury of upgrading my system. It is a secondary computer I use for a bot so there is no upgrading (I have upgrading eveything possible based on MB limitations) and a new system for a bot is out of the question.

I realize there are numerous .tga files in the default directory. My question is: does having a modified UI that calls for more .tga files to be always displayed cause more lag than the default UI.
Sitkatara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:43 AM   #5
Scribble
A Crystal Gargoyle

Server: Prexus
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

looks like it depends how they're handled... ie, target ring with multiple frames of animation will slow you down... an extra .tga in your inventory window, not likely to make a difference.
On a 1200mhz system.. hey, thats what it runs at, slower then advertised, with 1 gb memory, framed target rings have a small impact, the difference between default, a very stripped down UI and a very graphic intensive UI... well, if everybody would quit haning out in the zones i'm trying to get to, i might notice a difference (ie no difference in play, probably not anywhere else) multiple frame animations using different .tga's (target rings is the only place I know of to do this) can cause a bit of lag.

Hope that helps.. i'm no expert, but thats what the wife's crappy, soon to be upgraded, computer is doing.

-The more I do, the farther behind I get
Scribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 10:15 AM   #6
danny91643
A Lost Soul

Server: Zek

Animations would be the greatest draw on your system, as mentioned highly intensive target rings, but .tga's in general will not slow you down. In other words the more there are doesn't mean the slower your system will run. Server population is the biggest slow done in the game, also mentioned. Example: Sit by the MB during an a caster MGB and try to move He He..
This you have no control and even with the best system will slow you down.
danny91643 is offline   Reply With Quote