Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > General authoring help / discussion
User Name
Password

Old 07-26-2002, 05:05 PM   #1
mIkE_2oo0
A Fire Beetle

Default Viewing XML Files offline?

Hey there,

has anybody figured out how to view the XML files without loading up EQ? It's just annoying to start EQ up all the way just to see if your latest little change looks good.

Thanks a lot for the help.

mIkE 2oo0
mIkE_2oo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2002, 07:12 PM   #2
Qalamar
A Fire Beetle

Smile

I'm sure this won't help everyone, and may not solve your problem, but I have two computer terminals at my desk and I use one (my game machine) to log onto EQ and the other (a secondary machine) to go over the LAN and edit my XML files. Apparently EQ only needs the files when you initially load the skin, because you can make changes to them all you want and save them, then go back to the game machine and "/loadskin skinname" again to see the changes.

Haven't tried it but maybe it's possible to use EQWindow and have a wordpad window open, switching between them when you need to. Depends on the specs of the machine and may involve turning off some models and/or sound in EQ while you're editing.

Sounds like you're looking for a custom program to display windows that doesn't require entering the game, and I don't know of one yet. Would probably involve reproducing most of the eq code, I'm guessing, so it could be a while.

Just my 2cp!
Qalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 12:45 AM   #3
NijK
A Snow Cougar

"use EQwindow"

What's EQwindow? There a site or something I can read about this program? google.com gave me crap results for my searches.

btw, if I find and use EQwindows, will I be violating EQ's ToS or EULA or anything like that?
NijK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 01:17 AM   #4
mIkE_2oo0
A Fire Beetle

Yes EQWindow violates the EQ EULA. Basically, if they find out you're using it, you get banned.
mIkE_2oo0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 06:04 AM   #5
Nennayan
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Brell Serilis
Send a message via ICQ to Nennayan Send a message via AIM to Nennayan

The funny thing about that, is the reason they ban you isn't that you're playing EQ in a window. The reason they ban you is that playing EQ in a window allows you to potentially hack memory values that are handled client side, such as your run speed, night vision, breath meter, etc. Even though those values are constantly checked versus what spell effects are on you and any discrepancy is reported immediately by the client. Violators get banned instantly most of the time.

I think it was Abashi who stated that it makes it too easy for "casual hackers" who don't have the motivation or equipment to hack otherwise. What blows my mind is that they want the business of people who would cheat if they only had a dual monitor setup.
Old 07-27-2002, 04:49 PM   #6
Qalamar
A Fire Beetle

I've used EQWindow for quite a while now and never had any problems with the GMs, etc. I used it mainly to play 2 accounts at the same time on the same machine. You can do a search for "eqw" on google and it should be within the first few matches. (There's an update out for the new UI, by the way). Anyway, no guarantees, but I've never known anyone to get banned for using EQW, but I've also never known anyone that used it for illegitimate reasons. I'm at work now using it to modify my UI and it works great.
Qalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 02:04 AM   #7
Cilinya
A Treant

Send a message via ICQ to Cilinya

edited =/

Last edited by Cilinya : 07-28-2002 at 11:33 AM.
Cilinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 02:42 AM   #8
guice
Keeper of the Hampster

Server: Mithaniel Marr
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via AIM to guice Send a message via Yahoo to guice

If just use this, just remeber if you get cought, you will get band. And know this: "Number one reason hackers get cought is cause they can't get their mouths shut"

Words of wisdom to live by.
guice is offline   Reply With Quote