Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > General authoring help / discussion
User Name
Password

Old 11-08-2002, 03:43 PM   #1
Krowize
A Ghoul

Server: Terris Thule
Send a message via ICQ to Krowize Send a message via AIM to Krowize
Question Useful Programes?

Perhaps im Slow or something. If im asking the same Questions previous asked just refer me to the right thread.

Ok.. Whats a Good UI Developer Program that is Easy to use?

ive been doing Tedious Work with the Notpad editor and Hand typing alternate useage for others Files to tweak them but sometimes i screw it up really bad and i have to go Find the original(i should backup the files more often i know)

So.. whats the Best UI Developers program and where can i DL it(if able)

P.S. that Dancing Banana looks really Funny..
Krowize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 03:47 PM   #2
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Co-Founder & Admin: MMOUI
FaceBook Profile, Page, Group
Cairenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 03:48 PM   #3
Haliken
Quintessence of EQUI XML

I personally just use notepad. SidlWidl is the only UI program I know of and I think it takes all the effort out of modding the UI. Besides, it doesn't cut down on time much for me, I'm very good at visualizing the XML and have never made an unrecoverable mistake so far. Check out my UI at:
http://eqinterface.com/sdownload/fileinfo.php?id=529

Enok

P.S. - Heck, it's XML, it couldn't get much more simple.
Haliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 05:55 PM   #4
grottel
Grimling Code Editor

Server: Xev

Notepad / Wordpad

SIDLWIDL don't load on Windows NT

'nuff said.
grottel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 06:06 PM   #5
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

It's only simple if you already have some background/grasp of the "coding" involved. For folks starting out, it's a great way to get their feet wet and begin to understand what is happening and why.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:42 PM   #6
Krowize
A Ghoul

Server: Terris Thule
Send a message via ICQ to Krowize Send a message via AIM to Krowize

Yep im Dangling my Toe in the waters and sofar its looking good.. i have questions every now and then Some i Answer myself(testings) and Others i try to get to a Forum

thanks for all the Information on SidlWidl, Cairenn. I have Found it MOST usefull!

and i do use the notepad/word for some of the Smaller things...

This guy is awsome -->
Krowize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2002, 07:33 PM   #7
aeluin
Denizen of the Interface

Server: Tholuxe Paelis
Send a message via AIM to aeluin

lol Cairenn! I did all my mods with Notepad for weeks because I couldn't figure out how to use SidlWidl. Now I use it mainly just to check what stuff looks like without loading EQ and to make sure I haven't made stupid mistakes. I'll change numbers here and there too- but the real work is all done in Notepad, because there's so much SidlWidl won't do (like adding objects into a window, or, most annoying, moving <Pieces> statements between windows)
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring; renewed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king." -Aragorn's Theme by J.R.R. Tolkien
aeluin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 12:02 AM   #8
Cairenn
Credendo Vides

Aye, I know what you mean. I do a combination SidlWidl/Word thing myself, for precisely the same reasons you do.
Old 11-10-2002, 01:26 AM   #9
Earthscum
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Quellious
Send a message via AIM to Earthscum Send a message via Yahoo to Earthscum

I've personally found SidlWidl to be more of a pain than useful for me. Basically I have had problems with it as far as placement, among other things. Personally, I have found it easier to just use Wordpad.

One of the things that is nice about Wordpad is that you can click in the side area and select an entire line. I just do a cut and paste of whatever code I want , then make my changes. If I have to repeat that code (as in the instance of an animation where you have multiple frames using the same TGA) I will do one, and put in generic locs, then do a cut and paste of however many frames I need. Once I have all the elements in my document, then I run back through and set locs and sizes based upon a screenshot of the object I'm modifying or a pic of my background. Then I do a final runthrough and go through my "mental checklist" to make sure I didn't jump over anything. I personally think my best tools are Wordpad, Firehand (image viewer... uses thumbnails in a browser setting, and is quite fast), JRuler (java pixel ruler... sits on top of everything, is resizeable by dragging, flippable, and uses almost no resources), and of course PhotoShop 6. Oh yeah, my pen and paper as well... always jotting down coordinates and sizes, RGB colors, and basic "maps".

I just wish Wordpad had line numbers, and wish I had a good previewer so I don't have to log in just to get errors or a screenshot. A previewer would rock!
Old 11-10-2002, 01:20 PM   #10
AloneStarwalker
A Shissar Disciple

http://www.ultraedit.com/

is a very nice editor, have column editing, macroes, line numbers, good search/replace feature, and alot more, even comes with color schemes for different programming languages even XML.
AloneStarwalker is offline   Reply With Quote