Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > General authoring help / discussion
User Name
Password

Old 08-13-2004, 09:31 AM   #1
danny91643
A Lost Soul

Server: Zek
Arrow What is this Files function ?

EQGAME.EXE-1371C2AC.pf

This file lives @ C:\Windows\Prefetch.

Last night after several Client crashes during Mob attacks, I decided to clean house. I used the suggestions listed at EQ Live to delete several files and reboot. One of the files suggested was the EQgame.exe. Once I did a search to make sure I was deleting the right file, the above appeared in the search window. I didn't delete it because I am not sure of it's function.
It looks to me to be a part of the Windows function and that seems to be where my problems are with in game play. Very strange things happen at intermitten times. I use a geoforce2 mx/mx400 with the 56.72 Driver. The 61 series will not work in EQ because of this card. I run an athlon 908Mhz cpu with 640MB of Ram and use DX 9.0c. All on the low end side I know, but still should be functional. Nvidia Desk top options are Disabled.
I am wondering if the above file is causing me these Crazy problems.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:42 AM   #2
cromyr
A Gray Wolf

Default What is this Files function ?

Zotani,

If you are still having problems, you should try and delete the prefetch file. I'm sure windows will create a new one when you start up eqgame.exe again.

Let us know if this works. :-)

Cromyr Faefire <Destructive Nature>
Stromm Server
cromyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 09:56 AM   #3
Feebbwin
A Shissar Defiler

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Found this:

Clean your prefetch to improve performance.

This is an unique technique for WinXP. We know that it is necessary to wash registry and TEMP files for Win9X/ME/2000 periodly. Prefetch is a new and very useful technique in Windows XP. However, after using XP some time, the prefetch folder can get full of rarely used or obsolete links which can slow down your computer noticeably. My suggestion is: open C(system drive):/windows/prefetch, delete all files (or at least those more than 3 weeks old), reboot. I recommended that you do this every month.

Editor Note: Deleting prefetch files too often (Every reboot) can decrease system performance!

So, go ahead and delete them all.
Feebb
Feebbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 10:55 PM   #4
danny91643
A Lost Soul

Server: Zek
Arrow

Thanks Cromyr and Feebbwin for your input. But guess what??? Did not solve problem. I finally tracked down the Crash to a Spell effect. The weapon for the PC played Proc's Vampire Claw. Each time it struck I would crash. Once I turned OFF the spell effects I no longer crashed (/keeps fingers crossed)

The last patched caused all this junk and a lot of work to try to locate the problem. JUST once I would like to see a patch that caused NO problems,
Yes I know wishful thinking.

Anyway thanks guys.
danny91643 is offline   Reply With Quote