User Name
Password

Old 08-09-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
ArcherPhate
A Predatory Creeper

Server: Ayonae Ro
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Graphics Problems

Well i recently got a new card to replace the old one that fried. Well i turn on pc today, loaded eq adn about 10 - 15 min after i loged on, There started to be some big problems.

Heres some Screenys

These were originaly 1024x786 but were to big to host that wayu so i shrunk them

Please tell me this isnt the cards fault, i just had last one replaced and it takes way to long for them to replace it ( about a weeek, A WEEK, thats like forever w/o EQ)

i have to 120mm fans, one blowing air in, other exaust, exaust is like right above the card.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart.”
Anne Frank

Last edited by ArcherPhate : 08-09-2005 at 08:50 PM.
ArcherPhate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:14 AM   #2
edragon71
A Gray Wolf

My question to you is how old is your motherboard? I had the exact same problem after installing a 6800GT OC in my old system.

http://forums.gucomics.com/viewtopi...7138&highlight=

This is the link describing the situation.

With all the help that I had received, what wound up fixing it was going out and buying a new mb.......along with a new HD, memory....let's just saying I built a whole new rig. But check out the link. Maybe there is something there that can help you.
edragon71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:14 AM   #3
Neori
A Snow Cougar

Server: Tunare
Send a message via ICQ to Neori

Which video driver are you currently using? It might help to uninstall the driver, use a driver cleaner program (check out www.guru3d.com for them.. "Detonator R.I.P." or the like) to remove all remains of it, then try a driver that is one or two versions old now.

I was using the 77.72 Forceware driver, but it seemed like every 5th time I played EQ, everything would freeze up on me and I'd have to reboot via reset switch. I've gone back to 71.84, the version I was using most recently before 77.72, and so far it seems okay. Granted, I only did this like the day before yesterday, and haven't really had enough time to feel like the problem has been solved.

But you'd be surprised sometimes by going back to a slightly older driver. Sometimes the newest versions cause bugs to crop up, and you have to wait til they release another new version to fix the issues. Try to read the release notes whenever picking up a new one, it'll have a section in there covering issues caused by the driver (and issues that are not due to the driver).
Mandayilie D'Seet - 51 enchanter
Kinyrae F`Lorn - 54 necromancer
-----------------------------------
[re-retired]
-----------------------------------
Former Guildmistress of Angelfire Glory - Tunare server
Neori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:55 PM   #4
ArcherPhate
A Predatory Creeper

Any recomendation on what Forceware version i should DL?
Old 08-10-2005, 03:04 PM   #5
Neori
A Snow Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherPhate
Any recomendation on what Forceware version i should DL?

I'm using the official 71.84 (from Nvidia's site) on my eVGA 6600GT 128MB card and so far it's working good in all games. I'm still not sure what the latest driver (77.72) was doing to lock things up, if it was a glitch in the software or the drivers causing something in the system to overheat (like the GPU) and freeze.

Heat is something else you might want to look into though. Look for a program called "SpeedFan" and you can keep an eye on system temps with a little readout in the system tray. You'll have to play windowed to be able to see it though. You'd mentioned that you have decent airflow, with exhaust near the card. But the 7x.xx series of Forceware drivers have had a bug that makes all the 6000 series cards (mainly 6600/6800s) run hot, not just report as being hotter but actually being hotter. If you suspect the card is overheating, and you feel up to the task, you can get an aftermarket cooling device for the card.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:12 PM   #6
ArcherPhate
A Predatory Creeper

Would that void the warrenty? I dont know if i want to if it voids the warrenty, i have never done fan removal on heatsinks adn the like ( the opnly fins ive touched are the exaust and intake ones)

i ran Speedfan and it said thethere were 4 temps

Temp 1 32 fan at 3444rpm ( think this is CPU)
Temp 2 33 fan at 0rpm ( think its the exaust fan and i just never plugged it into the voltage reeder thing

temp 3 55 fan not reading. i think this is the GPU, is this high? it has a little flame next to it.

and HD is at 33

Edit- Well i installed teh 77.74 drivers adn ran it for a few hrs on max, nothing bad happened, the immage distortion is gone.

Last edited by ArcherPhate : 08-10-2005 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:45 PM   #7
Neori
A Snow Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherPhate
Would that void the warrenty? I dont know if i want to if it voids the warrenty, i have never done fan removal on heatsinks adn the like ( the opnly fins ive touched are the exaust and intake ones)

You'd have to read through all the fine print to be sure, but I'd assume that it would void the warranty. And you should only do so if you know what you're doing.. as you can damage chips and things if you go pulling or prying the wrong way, or damage using the wrong amount of thermal compound.

Quote:
Edit- Well i installed teh 77.74 drivers adn ran it for a few hrs on max, nothing bad happened, the immage distortion is gone.

Sounds like it might have been just a bad driver for your system. Keep an eye on it, see if things go smoothly after a longer game session. A few days with no problems and you can probably start to relax.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:53 PM   #8
lanolar
A Treant

It is your card. The memory on the card is erroring out. If the onboard fan is going bad it could cause this.

What makes me wonder is that you mention it has happened before. So that leads me to think your motherboard is having issues supplying the correct voltage OR you are overclocking and the AGP slot is not locked at 66mhz.
lanolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:26 PM   #9
ArcherPhate
A Predatory Creeper

Well i got a 480watt PSU and i purposly didnt overclock this one, i tried it on my old one ( 5200) and it burt out so tehn i rebuilt the system and reformated HD and reinstalled everything