User Name
Password

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 10:31 PM   #31
Tatter
A Ghoul

Server: Tunare

Hmm Character Models ..

Let me just add an old dudes thoughts . I been playing since just befoer Kunark .. And remember when I raided with an 8meg on board vodeo card onj a PC with 64 Megs of ram LOL . With Telephone connect ..

Now .. I am not trying to get into this "I walked up hill to school in my bare feet in the winter when I was a kid " ..

I am wanting to say in the years I have been playing and still play .. It has been a pleasure . I have seen the share of bugs and lagggg like a momo on the release of Kunark .. But I always found good times and friends an play ..

It is my relaxing escape .. I remember when trolls farted green gas LOL ..

So new models .. Indeed .. WE have seen these models change over time in such a way for the most part .. That we never even noticed .

I will not complain if we gotta look at Luclin models . I use the old models on some if I dont liek the Luclin look .. In my opinion and thats what you ask for .. I think is is so not dependent on my fun in game . It has not one effect on my little quest or occasional raid .. Other than too much lag if I got all models turnned on sometimes .. hehe .

So forgive me if I am pro EQ1 .. I love it will love it and will play till they come on line and say you win .. We give up .. Thanks for you patronage . hehe .

12.50 a month is cheap entertainment for me . And I love this web site . I like trying diffrent UI 's heh . It all boils down to fun ..

Please I got no right to complain about anything . hehe .. I get my money's worth every month hehe . Even on down days I play on test heh . EASY .. never have a problem . so .. Keep having fun and dont take this too serious . hehe . After All .. It is just a game . and Maybe .. One day when the sun is right and the wind is smartlly blowing we will get new models .

I think sometimes we forget too that they are people too who mabe get a little over anxious .. and say things with out the thinking process ..

Good things come to those who wait hehe .

Take care .. And thanks for listening .

"The Old Guy who sleeps on your couch"

Tatter

PS: Damn first post was long LOL
Tatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:36 PM   #32
Laffs
A Treant

Well I must admit, I see it from Danny's point of view also so /agree .... and also from a programing side of it yes /agree as well , I may be a dumbass with this new stuff but back in the 80's I was pretty good lol, And yes the effort has gone into eq2 from what i have read / played on both games.....

I know im going to get flamed for this but I will spit it anyways !

To me Eq is a 5 year old game they add new content etc and lately its been more like adding stuff that Eq2 has like ldons have instances etc so does Eq2 , and now the guild type stuff is getting added in the new expansion, so they are updateing a 5 year old game with new stuff for the sake of players that wish to stay with Eq and give them a near Eq2 like game without the move to Eq2 , so its either a publicity stunt for Eq2 or and update to keep Eq running for those who dont want to move on..

Personaly I play both I am GL of what was a large guild, (due to some losses to eq2) , And I love Eq2 its much better in my personal opinion, but a lot of my guildies dont want to move so i enjoy both games, and take them at face value realy, So to be honest new zones and content to Eq and updates to me looks like they trying to keep this in line......... You want better grafix etc goto Eq2 move on with the times........ Unlike one other online adventure game company who brought out version 2 and stopped all updates to the old one, but they did move your char for free to the new game if you so wished lol I hand them that, But the old game with its cartoon like grafix did not matter it was down to playabilty of the game not what it looked like ... and for me in version 2 it looked good yes but was not the same...

So realy me thinks you want s**t hot grafix go play Eq2

Yes this contradicts my last posts, but my point there was the cash / resources involved in not updating player chars etc ..... I am not very good at expressing what I mean, so I hope you guys can see what my point is before you flame my ass lol

Good time to FD me thinks lol
Laffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:15 AM   #33
danny91643
A Lost Soul

Server: Zek

Tatter and Laffs Points are well taken and well said. I agree with both. I too have made a lot of great friends playing EQ and will continue. My daughter was a Beta Tester and I had the opportunity to play EQ II on her computer (I am still up dating my own and can not play EQ II yet) I loved the Graphics and general game play and it is an evelution from EQ to EQ II. Yes I agree a lot of the newer expansions seem to be hand downs from EQ II. Yet none of that (In my opinion) is the issue. My only complaint is a Statement was made, and then we were met with a lot of confusing statements to the statement.

I have a good Idea of what a task such as this will cost, I know the programing issues, I know how long it could take.

All I ask:

Tell me like it is... Simple YES or NO...
Old 01-22-2005, 12:20 AM   #34
cmccord1
A Bat

Server: Firiona Vie
Send a message via AIM to cmccord1 Send a message via Yahoo to cmccord1
Smile Just my opinion...

I'm not much of one to look too deeply into the future when it comes to EQ. I get pleasantly surprised more often than not that way. It makes me notice when they have the little star by some modification with a footnote saying "done in response to player input."

Let's just look at the reality of it all. Games get old. But new doesn't mean better. In my opinion, and it's just my opinion, the player models of EQ2 are some of the most horrible I've seen. I can't think of a single one I like with exception of female Iksar. The rest look like ... keep it clean. And animations? Try clapping in EQ2. Watch your hands move through themselves. It's pitiful. And the lag is terrible. I have a computer that is by no means minimal and I can't go anywhere there in EQ2 without some lag. This from a computer that can run through the bazaar before EQ2 came live, full animation, watching every character... no lag. Breezing through. Not sure what the deal is there.

My point? If new models are going to do that same thing to EQ1? I'll keep the Luclin models please, thank you very much. I think they look sooooo much better than EQ2, or even WoW. The only game I've seen superior models from is Lineage 2. Superior enough to warrant my consideration that is.

In the end, I play the game for enjoyment. I like the models, I like the world, I like the people I play with. I'm not a raider, I'm a roleplayer. And pretty much, you can't beat EQ1 for a graphics based RPG. All the rest are pretty first person console games. No RP to the RPG. Even EQ2, hard as they try.

Sorry for being wordy. My first post here.

I've been playing EQ1 for nearly 5 years. I have no plans to leave anytime soon, so long as I have friends that play. Broken promises and such... I never listen to the promises anyway. I enjoy the game for what it is now. Any improvements are just icing for me. I think it's a nicer way to look at it.

FV Ranelle
cmccord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:03 AM   #35
xcons
A Treant

Server: veeshan
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

what makes me mad the most is any thing soe dos for you you have to pay for. want a new name? F. U. pay me. want to move to a new sever? F. U pay me want 9 spell slots and spells F . U pay me. 10 expansions in my eyes most of the expansions suck loy OMG im not going there after 9 expansions shoud give us 1 free thats why most spells are nodrop now if you do not get the expansions no spells for you
xcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 01:34 AM   #36
Nanan
A Snow Cougar

Server: saryrn

I see no reason why weapons would need to be individually coded for animations. There are how many weapon types, 1hs 1hb, piercing, 2hs, 2hb, 2hp, h2h, and shield (bash/slam) so that gives us 8 weapon positions. It seems like they should only need to code these 7 animations to use the various weapons unless they did not make any attempt at a standard grip spot on the weapons. All 1hs or 2hb should be held the same to start with not different for each item model. As for armor, there should be 3 types of armor per race. If they did away with the velious armor graphics they could dump several files of redundant graphics which are not used anyway with SoL char models.

So we have 15 races, 4 armor types per race for a total of 60 armor graphics x 8 visible slots so 480 pieces of armor to design. Then it goes to weapons 15 races x 8 weapon types for a total of 120 weapon holding positions. Animations should be the same for movement in the armor types so that is negated, attacking animations are another story. For the attack animations there are like what not even 10 movements? For spell casting there are maybe 20 animations but most are just copy/pastes from other animations. Then we go into char animations, lets be generous here and say there are 40 total per race.

I am not seeing why this should be that hard, any competent animator should be able to crank out most of this inside a month, and if this work was distributed across a few people it could be done in a few weeks. The only hard part I see in the whole project is the actual char models themselves which if they want to avoid issues of the past like, the doe eyed "special" children that SoL gave.
Old 01-22-2005, 07:01 PM   #37
Flayation
A Fire Beetle

Default A perverse idea for SoE

Since it is apparent that SoE is second stringing EQ1 and using it for a test bed for EQ2. Maybe the should offer an ability for us in the commuinity to manipulate some of the models for ourselves, granted anything even remotely close to us seeing the code or processes for the animations are out of the question. But skinning of the models is a totally different matter. An option similar to our ability to use customized interfaces shouldn't be that difficult to implement, have a directory like the ui's, use texture x to replace texture y when you choose to do so and revert back to default if it all goes to hell. It is probably very doable only thing that prevents it from happening now is for one it is against the EULA and two modifications of the files in question directly would cause the patcher to download a replacement due it considering it corrupted. Maybe its a pipe dream, but hey when I beat standalone games I get bored and twist them into something different and its not the hardest thing in the world to do. I do know this I won't be buying DoN or any other expansion unless it offers true improvement that I can use.

My 2cp, not that it matters much
Flayation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 07:34 PM   #38
Laffs
A Treant

Lol its not as easy as that , maybe you are thinking about games like Unreal etc , but you need to download the pc skins etc from the host, if you dont have them and at times only you can see your custom skin.... Eq is a bit more complicated than that , no need to go into detail.... but yes a good idea on the face of it but i doubt that going to work / happen

Also more like eq2 is the test bed to implement new stuff into eq1 , to keep those happy that dont want to switch to the new game and thats fair enough way I see it, I do know it will help my guild as we are now at raid capability now =)

So oks Flayation I understand what you saying , but the new expansion does have a real use if you are a guild leader or in a guild that is going to use this... I know it will help mine out....

But getting a bit off topic here..
Old 01-22-2005, 11:42 PM   #39
danny91643
A Lost Soul

Arrow Staying on Topic

"If we do begin the process of redoing character models it would outside of expansion work, meaning expansions would still be created and released while model work was going on."

I just ask this question:

Are there ANY plains on redoing character models ?

I do Understand the resources required to undertake suck a task. All I would like to know is an answer to the above question.
danny91643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:37 PM   #40
shinja
A Gray Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychosis
Comon people. back off SOE a touch here.

Im a programer <web dev>, I have friends that are game programers.

I have seen what goes into modifying something like this.

Take this for instance.

-Update 1 Character Model
-- Keep it withing 3 kilobytes of current game model, smaller if possible (Who remembers the Luclin Lag on release of new models)
-- make 60 animation models for social combat spellcasting ect... (See above Size Requirements)
-- revamp 18000 pieces of Armor, Weapons, Items to correclty display with this new model (Make sure that they will all work on new templates with all new characters also)

I know this is just numbers but here we go.......

Thats Roughly

Some things are simple and can be done 200 - 300 a day like weapons and armor and items.

Others are not so simple and have to wait on several things to be done.

Character Model - Wireframe - Collision Coding - Animation Modeling - Texture Skinning - Tuning of each step so that it actually work (Minimum 6 times or more)

To do one character will take 10 people at a minimum 3 weeks.

Remember they are also having to work to the "LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR" the least powerful PC that can handle the requirements.

Do I think they will do this. Yes

Do I think it will happen this year. Possibly

Do we need to relax and let them get work going and give us updates. Yes

We have shown them we were listening and Bralnos reponse shows hes open to the idea. I wouldnt stress about it too much.

Your numbers are way, way off here. There are very, very few items which do not share a graphic with other items, thus they would not even have to change the tags for said items, only reference them to the new models, which is much different than 'inventing' 15mil new renderings.

If it were even remotely as difficult as you post, they would still be working on the original models.

The FACT is they have HAD time, they HAVE the money, and they are blowing us off.

You cannot possibly deny this game exists purely on community.

We have had very, very little interaction with the customer relations people, given the scope of the game and the SAME BUGS THAT HAVE EXISTED FOR YEARS. There are things not in game that were promised from the ORIGINAL RELEASE..that we are about to pay for in a new expansion (guild halls?)

I have seen this game develop since beta 2, and I KNOW what has been stated as being 'worked on' and what has not been addressed.

My system is nearly double the recommended specs, and OOW and GOD still run like total crap. I can run WoW like glass, there is no reason EQLive should not run BETTER.

Wake up SOE, you would not be bleeding customers if you addressed these issues.
shinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:43 PM   #41
shinja
A Gray Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flayation
Since it is apparent that SoE is second stringing EQ1 and using it for a test bed for EQ2. Maybe the should offer an ability for us in the commuinity to manipulate some of the models for ourselves, granted anything even remotely close to us seeing the code or processes for the animations are out of the question. But skinning of the models is a totally different matter. An option similar to our ability to use customized interfaces shouldn't be that difficult to implement, have a directory like the ui's, use texture x to replace texture y when you choose to do so and revert back to default if it all goes to hell. It is probably very doable only thing that prevents it from happening now is for one it is against the EULA and two modifications of the files in question directly would cause the patcher to download a replacement due it considering it corrupted. Maybe its a pipe dream, but hey when I beat standalone games I get bored and twist them into something different and its not the hardest thing in the world to do. I do know this I won't be buying DoN or any other expansion unless it offers true improvement that I can use.

My 2cp, not that it matters much

Brilliant Idea...allow custom character models/skins just like the first person shooter genre...allow users to select whether or not to allow transfer of said custom models to their computer or view the default images. It is certain this very web site would host character model packages, and many would become standard fare, ala Tking spell icons and such.
shinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 03:59 PM   #42
Parasite
A Crystal Gargoyle

Server: The Nameless (Innoruuk)

Haha sadly somehow I have that impression the first skins for EQ would be nude-patches like in Lineage II and all
Old 01-25-2005, 05:05 PM   #43
Laffs
A Treant

Lmao .... yups.... Mind I did see a dark elf the other day that looked partialy naked through her armor =p ..... but then again maybe I play to much
Old 01-25-2005, 10:43 PM   #44
danny91643
A Lost Soul

Thumbs down The Beat Goes On

I'm Done

I am quitting EQ. After 3+ years of paying my fees with no complaint I have reached my wits end. My account will expire on Feb 2 and it will not be re-newed

I have not been able to run EQ stabily for more then 15 minutes at a time for over a month now. I have contacted tech help numourous times and done everything they said yet I am still Crashing, locking up and getting client crashes 5-10 times a session.

I am disgusted at SOE and their dealing with me, every tech I have been sent to has had a condescending attitude towards me and has said that I am running an out of date computer. I spend more time trying to fix EQ then I do getting to play and I can't take it anymore. If I treated customers at my restaurant the way SOE has treated me I would have been fired 5 times by now.

I will do my best to maintain my UI but it probably won't last long as I will not be able to log in and test it anymore. I will finalize it and make sure it is working well then re-post it.

Good Bye All

Bikther

The Beat Goes On, The Frustration Goes on, Still No Answers !!

We loose a Very Good Community Member and a reciently appointed Moderator, What Does it take to get the message HOME !!
danny91643 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:20 AM   #45
cantril
A Treant

Default do we remember Luclin?

When Luclin was released, along with it came new system requirements. These new system requirements caused a substantial amount of paying customers to be unable to play the game that they have become used to playing any time they want. But this was done to improve graphics and the game. This did not go over well with the customer base. Now we have EQ2 which has substantial graphics enhancements, which is all well and good, but again it comes with very different and more demanding system requirements. With EQ 2 we have a CHOICE on if we want to upgrade ourselves to play this game or not. If we were to go thru another graphics upgrade and be FORCED to upgrade our systems just to play the game we have spent so much time and money on, it could very well bring a quick end to EQ.
The graphics are cool, but I play for the game not the looks. I have all my models off, all my graphics off, spell effects off, and yet I can still play the game just as well as anyone else.
I will be plenty happy if a new graphics overhaul never comes. It means I can continue to play and enjoy the game for years to come.
cantril is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread