Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Help ! ? ! ?
User Name
Password

Old 07-29-2002, 12:45 AM   #1
Keiran
A Fire Beetle

Default Howto?

Is there someplace that describes just what you can do with this? All I know is that the interface is customizable, but I haven't the slightest idea how to modify it myself. I like some of the ones I've seen here, but I'd like to change my interface around myself in order to make it most convenient for me. But I don't know how to modify it or where to find that info, so if someone could tell me?
Keiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 01:37 AM   #2
Vanje
A Snow Cougar

Give people a few days to work out the processes. I'm sure tutorials will start popping up soon
Vanje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 03:43 AM   #3
Phrakture
A Fire Beetle

Lightbulb Possible tutorial

I'm planning on posting (in approximately a week or so) a basic breeze through on how this is all setup and how it works with the game... then some basic info on the xml files (although they're really straight forward - want to change the titlebar? look for <titlebar></titlebar> ... things like that are easy)

Phrak
Phrakture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 07:55 AM   #4
buzweaver
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Bertoxxulous
Send a message via AIM to buzweaver

I’m can be a literalist some times when it comes to instructions. As you know most instructions are written by Engineers/Programmers who have the personality of a light pole. They tend to leave out Details when they write because of how their brains are wired.

You probably know most of this, but I wrote this for a few people that were having trouble with the basics.

1.Double click my Computer.

2.Double click C: (your main drive)/(find the Program Yellow Folder)

3.Double click Program Files (Yellow Folder)/(find the Yellow Everquest Folder)

4.Double click the Everquest Folder (Yellow Folder)

5.At the top you will see Three Yellow Folders (Help, Skins and Uifiles)

6.Double click on the uifiles (Yellow Folder)/(You will then see a Yellow Default Folder)

7.Right Mouse Click on the Yellow Default Folder, slide your pointer down to Copy, select copy.

8.Place you pointer any where in the Same File, and right click, then slide your pointer to paste (This will make a new Default Folder)/(It will say Copy of Default Folder)

9.Right Click the new Copy of Default Folder, slide your mouse pointer down to Rename, this will allow you to name the Copy of Default Folder. Example: BuzzSilverThor’s Folder is simply called BuzzS. I made one for each Char, because I have a different UI for each one. Repeat this for each char if you chose to make a different UI for each.

10.Now you have made your new Character Folder, you want to keep the Default Folder around in case you mess up an .xml, .tga or other file or you might not like the current skin you have downloaded.

11.Go to www.eqinterface.com

12.On the Site you will see a Menu: Home, Inventory, Hot Keys, and Spell Gems etc…

13.Click on the Menu and you will see a list of various MODs (Custom Made UI’s)

14.You will see Image, Download and Email Author. Take a look at each image so you can get an idea of what skin you may like for your Char(s).

15.Downloading: Click on Down Load and you will get the Standard Download Option menu. Save this file to whatever area you save your Download(s) too, or to make life simple you can save it to your Desktop or what not.

16.All download(s) are zipped using WinZip. Just double click on the zipped file and let WinZip unzip it. Then hit Agree and you will see the various file(s).

17.You will notice that various MODs have various .xml, .tga or other File Extensions or Tags. Example: EqBookWindow.xml this has to do with your EqBookWindow. Note: I’ve posted on the EqInterface Forum about definitions of what the various files are, so I hope someone will be kind enough to explain them.

18.Now open your Char(s) Uifiles folder and simply drag drop the downloaded files into the Char(s) folder. You will get a message asking if you want to override the current files, click Yes to All. Note: Some things you can Mix and Match as far as what player Windows, Spells Gems and so forth you want. Some Items will override certain files so you have to do a little trial and error experimentation.

Additional Notes: When you are in the game, type /loadskin (your Chars folder name) you will only need to do this once. After that, you can make changes and when you log your char on, you’ll see the changes. Some times if may require that you Log out and go all the way to your desktop.

If you are doing this for the first time, going from the Old UI to the new UI, you will need to log into the game then type /newui. Log out to desktop and relog in.

Retired
BuzzFelinous (26 Bard)
BuzzVar(40 Shaman)
BuzzSilverThor (68 Storm Warder )
buzweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 08:11 AM   #5
Corenthalas
A Fire Beetle

Server: Fennin Ro
Send a message via Yahoo to Corenthalas
Default Can't get it to load!

I did everything indicated on this post and still cannot get the skin I chose to take effect. I have logged out to every phase of the login process and still cannot get it to take effect. The mods I chose for my interface are the Advanced Group Info under Other Mods, Hotbuttons and Inventory under the Hotbuttons Mods, and the Small Buff Window under the Buffs Mods. I put them in the new folder in the correct directory and used the /loadskin command properly. Still can't get it to work. Someone please help.
Corenthalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 08:21 AM   #6
buzweaver
A Shissar Disciple

I know how you feel, I've not been able to get the Bear Wall Papper effect to work on the Bestlord Complete Set.

I'm wonderin if its a Graphic Card issue, Code issue, Windows Version Issue, DirectX, no clue as of yet.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:21 AM   #7
buzweaver
A Shissar Disciple

I know how you feel, I've not been able to get the Bear Wall Papper effect to work on the Bestlord Complete Set.

I'm wondering if its a Graphic Card issue, Code issue, Windows Version Issue, DirectX, no clue as of yet.
Old 07-29-2002, 08:26 AM   #8
Scioned
A Gray Wolf

OK here's my problem then, i don't have 3 yellow folders under everquest folder.... i just have the skins folder, not the uifile folder or help file folder--any suggestions? i was doing all the instructions under the skins folder.
Scioned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2002, 08:59 AM   #9
buzweaver
A Shissar Disciple

I assume when you logrd onto the game for the new UI you did a /newUI correct? If not, log onto the game type /newUI log out to desk top and come back.

If you still don't have them, try doing a Thorough File.
Old 07-29-2002, 06:12 PM   #10
Keiran
A Fire Beetle

I'm sorry if that was a little ambiguous. I know how to install other people's mods, that's listed on this site somewhere, but that's not what I wanted to do. I wanted to know how to modify it myself to create my own interface, since something designed by another person is probably not going to be exactly right for me.
Keiran is offline   Reply With Quote