Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Help ! ? ! ?
User Name
Password

Old 10-12-2002, 07:24 PM   #1
Neiloch
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Tholuxe Paells
Post Custom UI's taking massive memory?

has anyone ever noticed going some-what slower with custom UI's? i tried about 4 diffrent custom UI's and they seemed to slow down my system but when i use default UI it runs great. Any way to prevent this? or maybe even improve performence by making less system intensive UI's then even the default one? BTW my system is above recommended (and minimum, of course) specs.
Neiloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 12:38 PM   #2
DJPrez
A Ghoul

I just wanted to add a "ditto" to that........ I have tried a few UI mods and I must say, the people who developed them must have UBER systems to run them on. I myself have:

P4 1.6
512 DDR 3000(?[can't remember exactly but it's high freq]) ram
Gainward Golden 128meg 4200Ti
Soyo Ultra Dragon mobo

I just attempted to use Bawkin's UI and OMG !!!! I couldn't move!

So what must you have to run these things? Or, what tweaks are there (yes, a repeat request). Maybe a suggestion for a link specifically geared towards tweaking our systems for EQ.?.?.?.?

Thanks for any help!
DJPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2002, 12:50 PM   #3
Neiloch
A Shissar Disciple

Also i have noticed that i will change a single window and will slow down. When the UI's (or something) were causing random LD's on the server for about a day thats when my Vert mod also ceased to work smoothly. Was there a patch that made the mods take more memory?
Old 10-15-2002, 04:40 PM   #4
Hordur
A Bat

Default Custom UI's taking massive memory?

Bump

I've also experienced this phenonom loading different UI skins. I have several different systems and differing configurations appear to handle skins better. I have one combination of better processor and memory with slower graphics card that seems to perform more poorly with custom skins than a system with a slower processor and faster graphics card.

I would definitely be interested in any other observations others have. I have one P4 system with 4mb of memory with a riva t2 card that I can't run skins on because performance slows to a crawl on. I'm going to play around with adding a couple of components at a time to see if it makes any noticeable difference - any feedback from others would be appreciated.
Hordur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 04:50 PM   #5
Kweil
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Rodcet Nife
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

No problems here.

AMD Athlon clocked at 900
768 Ram DDR
Old 10-15-2002, 07:00 PM   #6
Dr. Skins
A Gray Wolf

If your mods are using TGA file format that is more and likely the problem, try and either convert or find a UI that doesnt use the TGA file format, use PNG file format for the textures.

I have a barely above recommended specs (most borderline) and the custom UI's I use don't take up much memory or add noticeable lag at all.
Dr. Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 07:20 PM   #7
dillomjm
A Hill Giant

Server: Sullon Zek

I dont know about the rest of you, but I have not had ANY performance problems when running the custom UI's.

Here is my setup:
Dell 866mhz
256 mb or P133 Ram
Geforce256 w/ 32 mb of ram

As you can see I dont have a top of the line computer either. Go figure.. maybe you guys should try cleanin up your memory (such as going into regedit and not letting 8000 programs run on startup) Just a thought.
dillomjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 07:47 PM   #8
tadashya
Pixel Pusher

Server: erollisi marr
Send a message via ICQ to tadashya Send a message via AIM to tadashya

I have a high end desktop system but no problems here... my mods run well even when on the crummy laptop.

Tad

Original Artwork by Tadashya my current favorite sig slice
tadashya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 08:08 PM   #9
Neiloch
A Shissar Disciple

gotta be a skin problem because some skins cause lag while others even more customized, bigger foot prints, and more visuals don't cause lag. Weird. I'll try to find some that gave me probs and post 'em.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:09 PM   #10
Earthscum
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Quellious
Send a message via AIM to Earthscum Send a message via Yahoo to Earthscum

No problems here.

500mhz Celeron
256mb RAM
built-in i810 chipset graffix with 2mg allocated to it
built in sound

haven't noticed any diff at all... even when my system ahs been on all day long.

One thing is it may be that the tga files that are modded aren't compressed? But then EQ uncompresses them when you log in anyways, so I don't know. I have only Explorer and Systray running in the background, and resources at 95% free before I log in. Only time I have problems is when I run Winamp at the same time, and that's because of the built-in sound... damn IRQ's are sharing and I can't change them (damn HP's!)
Old 10-16-2002, 11:43 PM   #11
Raidi
A Fire Beetle

One reason you could experience some lag:

If you one of your .xml's are calling for a texture that isn't in the directory, AND cannot be found in the default directory, EQ will try and search for it every millionth of a second or so.

So it will write a line in the textures.txt file saying it can't find a file you need.
Check out your textures.txt file and see if it is massive (heard of some people who had 2gig files) cuz over a long period of time it'll write the same line over and over millions of times.

This happens frequently when mixing together mods, as you may have a mod that's sitting there calling a texture that you didn't think you'd need, cuz you are using the function somewhere else.
Read your textures.txt and it'll say what it's looking for... then you get to read through all your modified xmls to see what's calling that. Fuuuun....
Raidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 02:01 AM   #12
Razer
A Ghoul

I have a window minimized that has others hits, others misses, etc. etc. in it for parsing purposes. if I open that minimized window eq will freeze up completely most times, or just bog down hardcore the rest. I use Vert 2.2 now and haven't tried it, but in 2.0 it did it all the time.

athlon xp 1700+, 512mb sdram, GeForce3 ti200.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:22 AM   #13
Gnarishal
A Bat

No real problems here on two of the 5 in the house, one is a athalon 755 running 512 megs pc133, the other is a duron 1000 running 512 megs pc133 ram.
Only place I have seen hesitation in is reading from the HDD, one is running a 5200 RPM, the other a 7500(used to be a 10k vs a 7500).
Very possible we are talking front end bus or drive transfer rates, there are a few specifics I haven't looked into heavily when considering the performance of one vs the other, but will start to look into it, very possbile that bus transfer rates, or drive transfer rates are causing the problems, at which point it would require a hardware upgrade to fix.
Gnarishal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 02:52 PM   #14
Guille
A Fire Beetle

Server: Xegony

Raidi is correct, I had this problem. about 1 min into playing I get massive bazaar like lag where I can barely even camp out. Sure enough I get to the Texture log file and it is massive with the same line over and over saying it can't find "tkspellbar.tga" in the default directory. I am running Vert CM and I don't know if he forgot this file, or if I just need to go erase everything that calls for it.
Guille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 03:32 PM   #15
Caleal
Enhanced Imperial Golem

What is this textures.txt file? I have no such file in existance on my system....

I do have a UIErrors.txt file that all errors with the UI is printed to, including missing textures.
Shadowed Soul
Caleal is offline   Reply With Quote