Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > XML modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 08-27-2003, 12:54 PM   #1
Khieran
A Gray Wolf

Default SidlWidl help?

I found the link to download SidlWidl in the other thread, but there are not any readme files or help files in there that I can see. Since the SidlWidl site is down, is there another site that has some tutorials on using this? There is a section here, but it has no posts.

I got the program loaded and pointed to the UI files, but I'm not seeing how to actually do anything with them
Khieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 01:58 PM   #2
Dolby
Lord Dolby of Veeshan

Server: Veeshan

If it makes you feel any better sidlwidl never had any help info on there webpage. You can see the latest cached version of the webpage by typeing sidlwidl into google and then click the [cached] link when it shows the result.

I dont really use sidlwidl but I hope some people start to write some tutorials for it.
Dolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 11:54 AM   #3
Blarz
A Snow Griffin

Server: Fennin Ro
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Re: SidlWidl help?

Quote:
Originally posted by Khieran
I found the link to download SidlWidl in the other thread, but there are not any readme files or help files in there that I can see. Since the SidlWidl site is down, is there another site that has some tutorials on using this? There is a section here, but it has no posts.

I got the program loaded and pointed to the UI files, but I'm not seeing how to actually do anything with them

Once you open up a prfile you want to edit, in the left hand side of your screen you will see a list and + signs aside of them. If you left click on it you should see the item expand open, USUALLY near the bottom of the expanded group you will see a square icon named [screen] if you double click on that you will see it opens up the according screen. Now not really getting into it you can either use your mouse and arrow keys on the keyboard to move existing icons on the screen around or manually change them by using the properties window in the lower right side of the screen. You WIL have to use the property window to resize anything.

My best suggestion for this is to make a test folder in you uifolders section of your hd and COPY the contents of the default folder into this. That way you can fiddle (pardon the pun) around with a real live working UI without the worries or hassles of destroying the default one or one your have peiced together.

Hope this helps some.
Old 09-01-2003, 07:01 AM   #4
Tellgar
A Shissar Defiler

It's unfortunate the site (and I assume any development) dropped off the map. The program was useful, if a bit buggy... I used it mainly to "preview" elements instead of having to load up EQ - saves a bit of time.

As for using to create a UI, well... it just wasn't refined enough (no credit taken away from the creator, that was a probably a pretty effort intensive project). It was plagued by far too many quirks and bugs, not unexpected as it was an 'alpha' version I believe? It often crashed, inserted unexpected bits of code, occasionally trashed entire xml files.

As Blarz said,
It is STRONGLY recommended you use a DUPLICATE set of files if you intend to use it in order to edit your UI files.

Regards,
Tellgar
Tellgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 08:30 AM   #5
geijin
A Gray Wolf

Server: Rodcet Nife
Send a message via Yahoo to geijin
Default Install questions

I downloaded a copy of sidlwidl from someone on these boards kind enough to provide a link to a ziped version.

Unfortunatly, I'm not able to get this to run. clicking on the .exe file gives me the error message " sidlwidl failed to initialize" .

The copy I have did not have an install program, ( Is it suppose to? ) and unzips the exe and roughly 10 other files into a single folder.

I'm running winXP. Is Sidlwidl known to work for XP? do I have this installed right? Has anyone had a problem like this before?

I would appriciate even speculative advice at this point, I would love for this thing to work, if only so I don't have to have EQ running while I work on a project.

Thanks,
Geijin Knight
www.geocities.com/geijinknight
geijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 08:51 AM   #6
Tellgar
A Shissar Defiler

I believe it requires .NET framework to be installed... something you may not have. You can install it using the Microsoft Update tool and look in 'Recommended Updates', it should be listed in there somewhere.

Regards,
Tellgar
Tellgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 10:43 AM   #7
Caleal
Enhanced Imperial Golem

I have used Sidlwidl extensivly in the creation of all my UIs, in conjunction with a text editor.

I probably would not have figured out most of the things I did if the program hadn't existed.

It is a very buggy program, but they can be worked around. Mainly stay away from the viewer function, and save often. =)

It does require an older version of the .NET framework than Microsoft currently has out. I recently upgraded to the latest version of .NET, so SidlWidl no longer functions for me. I don't know if its possible to get the older version of the .NET framework....
Fortunatly, I know enough now to do everything I need to do with just a plane text editor.
Shadowed Soul
Caleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 12:35 PM   #8
geijin
A Gray Wolf

Server: Rodcet Nife
Send a message via Yahoo to geijin

I prefer notpad for all my HTML already, but I realy liked the Idea of being able to vew what I'm doing as I do it.

Does anyone have an older copy of .NET? that seems to be my problem, I recently patched everything from Microsoft, and that is apparently my issue.
geijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:02 PM   #9
Daggun
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Vazaelle
Cool HELP!!!

ANYONE HAVE A COPY OR KNOW WHERE TO DOWNLOAD THIS, worked great but had HD crash.

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve…” Bilbo Baggins
Daggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 05:30 PM   #10
Starrieblakskie
A Gray Wolf

Default Sidlwidl Download

If you were asking where to download Sidlwidl, I was just trying to find that out aswell (for the same reason /pout) and found it is being hosted here at eqinterface...
http://www.eqinterface.com/index.php?section=sidlwidl
found through: EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > SidlWidl & SIDL Fiddle help > WYSIWYG EQ Interface Editors
also looks like you need to download the .NET SDK version 1.0 (not newer version) from... http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&displaylang=en
as discussed in: EQInterface Forums > Tutorials & Info. > SidlWidl & SIDL Fiddle Tutorials & Info. > sidlwidl

hope that helps =)
Starrie

Last edited by Starrieblakskie : 04-11-2006 at 05:50 PM.
Starrieblakskie is offline   Reply With Quote