Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Tutorials & Info. > XML Tutorials & Info.
User Name
Password

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2002, 08:32 PM   #1
lunakin
A Shissar Defiler

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Default Quick Tutorial on changing Invertory Slots

Assuming that people's UI's are as different as people themselves, I'm guessing there's a lot of peeps out there with 'useless' inventory slots stuck around their UI. I'm gonna try to explain how to turn them into slots you will actually use.

This will involve editing the appropriate .xml for the window you want to work with. TRUST ME, it's not that hard, don't go running away just because you don't like code. Stick with me, and I'll try to make it as simple as possible.

First, here is what an inventory slot looks like within the .xml:

<InvSlot item="InvSlot1">
<ScreenID>InvSlot1</ScreenID>
<!--<Font>3</Font>-->
<RelativePosition>true</RelativePosition>
<Location>
<X>120</X>
<Y>0</Y>
</Location>
<Size>
<CX>40</CX>
<CY>40</CY>
</Size>
<Background>A_InvEar</Background>
<EQType>1</EQType>
<Style_VScroll>false</Style_VScroll>
<Style_HScroll>false</Style_HScroll>
<Style_Transparent>false</Style_Transparent>
<!--<TooltipReference/>-->
</InvSlot>

It's not that bad, really, First it names itself, then it positions and sizes itself, then it figures out which background to use, then it figures out which slot to display. Finally, it declares some stuff that I don't ever mess with, heh.

Here's the lines that are important:

<Background>A_InvEar</Background>
<EQType>1</EQType>

The only thing you HAVE to change to switch an inventory slot is the EQType, but if you want the slot with the right background, you need to change the Background as well (see how easy this it?) So...you're wondering, which EQTypes are which? Well, just look for Psychogears excellent post in this forum, and it will list them all for you, as I will also do:

Inventory EQTags

EQType
1 LEar
2 Head
3 Face
4 REar
5 Neck
6 Shoulder
7 Arms
8 Back
9 LWrist
10 RWrist
11 Range
12 Hands
13 Primary Slot
14 Secondary Slot
15 LFinger
16 RFinger
17 Chest
18 Legs
19 Feet
20 Belt
21 Ammo

22 inventory slot top left 1
23 inventory slot left 2nd
24 inventory slot left 3rd
25 inventory slot left 4th
26 inventory slot top right 1
27 inventory slot right 2nd
28 inventory slot right 3rd
29 inventory slot right 4th

Backgrounds are a little bit tougher, as many mods use different background pics that have different names than the expample above. I'm betting that most of them are based in the 'common sense' realm, tho. So it's basically a matter of changing 'EAR' to 'Arm' or 'Primary' Bags generally use the <Background>A_RecessedBox</Background>

All this editing can be done in Note/Wordpad, no need to download an .xml editor.

The hardest part is going to be finding the appropriate Inventory slot to change, as most modders don't use the default names for the slots when they move the out of the standard Inventory Window. They may add a 'PW' in front of the name if the slot is going in the PlayerWindow, or they may be called "miniinv" ( I think this is what Vert calls some of his slots....or is his Backgrounds?......)
The easiest way to find these will be to do a search/find for <InvSlot item> then to match up the EQType of the slot you want to change. This way you are sure you are changing the right box.

So, that's basically the deal. Let's go through it once again:

"I want to change the Ear slot on my PetWindowClickerPage to Primary"

1) Open up the EQUI_PetInfoWindow.xml in note/wordpad

2) Do a 'find' (click the binoculars) for "<InvSlot item>"

3) Look at the EQType for the <InvSlot item> the find function takes you to. If it's a 1 or a 4, you have found an ear piece. If it's any other number, repeat steps 2 and 3

4) Once you have found the slot you want to change, change the <EQType>1</EQType> to read <EQType>13</EQType>

5) Then, change the background from <Background>A_InvEar</Background> to <Background>A_InvPrimary</Background>

6) Save you new file

I know this is a bit rough, for a turorial, but it should give you a good start at making those 'useless' inventory slots on you new mod more usefull, that is, unless you are using Vert or Kao with Vert Hotkeys, then you get the luxury of the CCake program to change you slots around

Please feel free to post with any questions or corrections!

Lunakin

Last edited by lunakin : 11-16-2002 at 08:38 PM.
lunakin is offline   Reply With Quote