Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Interface Gallery Discussion > Archive
User Name
Password

Old 09-28-2002, 07:51 AM   #1
Arista
TimerMod Creator

Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Arrow UI Timer v3.0 (highly customizable, no reset required)

UI Timer v3.0 is now available. This version features fully-customizable multiple slider timers.

• Time Marker
    The slider timer never needs to be reset. Simply move the slider to mark the position of the bar when an event occurs.
  • Multiple Timers
    Choose the number of timers to include, from 1 timer up to 8 timers.
  • Custom Label
    Choose a custom name for each timer.
  • Custom Duration
    Specify the desired duration for each timer.
  • Multiple Colors
    Each bar is color-coded for easy identification. There are 5 colors to choose from.
  • Slider Buttons
    In addition to dragging the slider, you can also move the slider with buttons. The speed at which these buttons move the slider is configurable.
To create your own custom timer configuration, visit the timer home page:
http://www.horizonsoutpost.com/eq/timer.asp

Last edited by Arista : 09-28-2002 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-28-2002, 07:56 AM   #2
Casanunda
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Fennin Ro
Send a message via ICQ to Casanunda

Woah..woah. Awesome. I'm gettin' this! even though i'm a cleric and would hardly ever use it...It's still too awesome lookin' to pass up. great job!
Fennin Ro"The Forgotten Server"
Go Kicky Fast Okay!
Old 09-28-2002, 08:17 AM   #3
Llaile
A Gray Wolf

Ever since I got Dazzle I've stopped timing my mezzes, but WOW. This thing is so awesome looking I'm going to have to start doing it again. Amazing job!
Old 09-28-2002, 08:40 AM   #4
altanon
A Gray Wolf

Default timer

Very, very impressive
Old 09-28-2002, 08:48 AM   #5
Elwyyn
A Bat

Server: Terris-Thule
Send a message via ICQ to Elwyyn

Looks good, unfortunately every time I try to run the configuration generator it crashes. Running Windows XP Pro with all the patches so not sure why it would. Netscape doesn't play well with the config generator and Explorer crashes for me after hitting "generate xml".
Old 09-28-2002, 10:34 AM   #6
Aladinsane
A Ghoul

very impressive

BUT - i do not think this is compatible with vert 2.2...

using pet window - failed to load each time

will try it elsewhere
Old 09-28-2002, 10:52 AM   #7
Starshelle
A Druid not a "Dr00d"

Server: Innoruuk

Thank you so much for all your hard work Arista! I really like the new timer but was disappointed to see that the Friends window is not available for this. Is there a technical reason why the Friends window isn't compatiable with this new design? Just curious! Thank you again.

—Star
Old 09-28-2002, 11:15 AM   #8
Armengar
A Ghoul

Server: Tunare
Default Speachless

This looks absolutely incredible and I REALLY want to use it. Unfortunately like someone else mentioned above I can't seem to generate the XML without crashing IE 6.0 running Windows XP Home. I also tried to download the graphics file but recieved an error stating that the file did not exist.

If there is a problem for some of us on our own end of the download would you consider posting a sample XML file for us to modify with the graphics here?
Old 09-28-2002, 11:18 AM   #9
Snydar
A Fire Beetle

No friends window choice?

Is there a hotkey for the help window or do I need to find where my window selector went? (pushed it off the screen prolly)
Old 09-28-2002, 11:37 AM   #10
lunakin
A Shissar Defiler

If there is a hotkey for the help window, people who know about it are keeping it a big secret I never found anything to open it except the window selector. I could have sworn I read something about someone binding it to a keyboard command, alas, I can't find anything like that now =(

Oh, and so I don't completely hijack....This Timer > Nanna, that's how much I like it!

Lunakin
Old 09-28-2002, 11:57 AM   #11
Casanunda
A Shissar Defiler

Server: Fennin Ro
Send a message via ICQ to Casanunda

Unfortunately, Verant has made the friends window unable to be tabbed. I'm sure they had a good reason for this, or something, but anyway, it can't be tabbed, and since this mod wouldn't really be functional without the ability to tab (mark) the spots, friends window is a no-go. I suppose the author, in her boundless grace, could make it possible to mod the friends window, but it would seem kind of pointless to me.

In the earlier "analog clock" version of the mod, you could select to have it in the friends window; it just wouldn't have the markers.

I would love to see something like this for the actions window--that is, a "fifth tab" on the actions window with a clock graphic that would display the analog and digital clock. I've checked, and it's the perfect size, and I see no reason why it couldn't be done...though i'm not sure if the tabbed, mark-able version would translate very well, since it would involving having two different types or rows of tabs O.o Still, if someone could be kind enough to do it, I'm sure we'd all be very greatfull. Now wouldn't we? <pounds mallet into palm menacingly a few times for effect> That's right. Good kiddies.
Old 09-28-2002, 12:20 PM   #12
Apeman87
A Ghoul

Talking

I love the new timer. This new design rocks. I just did not like the old design. It was to hard to use and keep track of. Great job.

The lurking Arch Lich of Drinal
Old 09-28-2002, 12:24 PM   #13
Arista
TimerMod Creator

Quote:
Originally posted by Elwyyn
Looks good, unfortunately every time I try to run the configuration generator it crashes. Running Windows XP Pro with all the patches so not sure why it would. Netscape doesn't play well with the config generator and Explorer crashes for me after hitting "generate xml".

Quote:
Originally posted by Armengar
Unfortunately like someone else mentioned above I can't seem to generate the XML without crashing IE 6.0 running Windows XP Home. I also tried to download the graphics file but recieved an error stating that the file did not exist.

Hmm. I was able to successfully run the configuration generator on three different machines using IE 6.0 (WinXP Pro, WinXP Home, and Win98). Please post the exact options and settings you used, or send it to me in a PM. This will allow me to (1) test the particular configuration you used, and (2) send you your configuration while this problem is being investigated.

On another note, the generator was developed on IE and only tested for IE, due to the high percentage of IE users. It hasn't been, and most likely will not be, tested or made compatible for Netscape (sorry Netscape folks!).

As for the graphics file not being downloaded: are you using a download manager like Download Accelerator? If so, try pressing ALT as you press the download button to disable the download manager.

Last edited by Arista : 09-28-2002 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-28-2002, 12:26 PM   #14
Arista
TimerMod Creator

Quote:
Originally posted by Aladinsane
i do not think this is compatible with vert 2.2...

using pet window - failed to load each time

If I'm not mistaken, Vert 2.2 requires the pet window (it is used as a combo player/pet info window), so this timer cannot exist in the pet window if Vert 2.2 is also to be used. The help window is a good choice in this case for the timer.
Quote:
Originally posted by Snydar
Is there a hotkey for the help window or do I need to find where my window selector went?

As far as I know, there is no hotkey option for the help window. This may just be an oversight on Verant's part, so sending /bug or /feedback might help get it fixed.
Old 09-28-2002, 01:20 PM   #15
Arista
TimerMod Creator

Post Friends Window, Tabs, and Stuff...

Edit (9/16): As of today's patch, the friends window now supports tabs, so the timer can now use the friends window.

From the looks of the replies so far, lots of folks are probably wondering, or will wonder, about the following:

1) Can this new timer be used in the friends window?
2) Can this timer be put on a separate tab in another window that already uses tabs?

The answer to both of these questions is "no", and both are due to the same reason: this mod uses tabs. It cannot be used in the friend's window because the friends window does not support tabs, and it cannot be put on a separate tab in another window that uses tabs because tabs cannot be nested.

By now, I'm sure most of you are wondering, "this mod doesn't look like it has tabs" or "why does this mod need to use tabs". I'll try to answer those here, please bear with me:

In my first prototype of a "slider" style timer (posted in this thread), I used an actual slider element (like the kind you'll find in the options window). The main problem with this approach is that the slider granularity is really bad. What I mean is, you can't position it exactly where you want it, because there are only a few valid positions along the bar. Other sliders that are hard-coded into the game to represent specific values had reasonable granularity, but add a dummy slider that doesn't do anything, and it'll have bad granularity.

In order to fix the granularity problem, I had to move away from actual slider elements altogether. Instead, I used a horizontal scroll bar, and made it "look" like a slider. That's right folks, that slider is actually the middle part of a horizontal scroll bar. Most importantly, this approach has the benefit of really good granularity (you can drag and position the "slider" wherever you want). It also has the side benefit of having directional buttons that can be used.

Getting a working scroll bar into the mod is a bit tricky. Of the "scrollable" elements (not counting windows themselves), the tab page is the only one that lets you control the size of the scrollable area. The list box and STML box, for instance, cannot be populated by a mod, so the scroll bar will not become active. So, in each timer, there is a transparent tab page overlay that houses the horizontal scroll bar.

The width of the scrollable area is controlled by putting a blank, dummy label element on the tab page, and setting its size. By adjusting this width, I can vary the speed at which the scroll bar moves when the < and > buttons are pressed. I've included this as a configurable option in the XML generator.

As a final (slightly unrelated) note, I've noticed that since the last patch, real slider elements no longer work in the friends window (the friends window version of my original prototype stopped working). Therefore, the friends window will not allow sliders of either type: "real" sliders, or "fake" scroll-bar sliders housed in a tab page. Even if it did allow real slider elements (which it doesn't appear to), I'm sticking to the scroll-bar slider, because it gives much better granularity.

Whew... that was a long one. Hope this clears some things up.

Last edited by Arista : 10-17-2002 at 12:32 AM.