Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > XML modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 08-14-2002, 04:59 PM   #1
Qalen
A Gray Wolf

Unhappy I'm dumb but...

...I still have no idea how actually create an own mod - everyone I asked says : look here, look there, but all I could find were already ready mods or questions about them I have a vaque idea how to create an own mod, but if it's true what I think I won't do it... so PLEASE if anyone has an idea if there is a tool or anything to create a own mod - HELP ME. If there is not a tool... please try to explain how to create a own mod since it seems I can't find out myself
Qalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 05:19 AM   #2
xlorepdarkhelm
Enhanced Imperial Golem

Server: Xegony
Send a message via AIM to xlorepdarkhelm Send a message via Yahoo to xlorepdarkhelm

Ok.... there's no quick and easy way to make your own mod. takes a little patience, as you have to read through and learn the XML (which isn't overly complicated), if you want new pictures, you prolly will need some sort of graphics editor (I use the one at www.gimp.org, but that could be a massive undertaking just figuring that one out on it's own - as it wasn't designed to be.....user friendly). for reading the XML, just use a text editor (in windows, there's Notepad and Wordpad available under accessories - of the two, I'd prefer the latter, not the former). And umm..... look around on this site, there's been a couple "howtos" written and posted in these forums - but there is no *easy* way to explain how to do this, nor a quick and easy method to build your own from scratch, especially if you have never dealt with XML before (or it's predecessor, HTML).

Magelo
Guild Website
xlorepdarkhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 05:26 AM   #3
HONTER1
A Hill Giant

hiya when i first started doing this and am still vary new at it but the fist thing i did was open up people custiom xml files and compare them to the orgnail then i go in and change the size of the window or change the color of the text some where and get a fell for what its doing there is no real problem with totly messing up and not being able to fix back to the orgnail since all you have to do i run patcher and set it back to the defalut as far as makeing them i have to save after ever lil change and befor a change i mess up that much lol but its quite fun to do lil things i made a few mods that people have asked for dunno all i can say is play around with it get a fell for it
HONTER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 06:16 AM   #4
guice
Keeper of the Hampster

Server: Mithaniel Marr
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via AIM to guice Send a message via Yahoo to guice

What Honter said. Don't worry about Gimp yet. Gimp is a graphic editor and I will tell you now, if you don't know how to modify the XML, you're NOT gonna get trying the images.

Play with it and for gods sake, use your UIErrors.txt file! It's located right in your EverQuest directory. When you skin crashes EQ or fails to load, the error is always written into that file.
So many people ask questions here when their answers are located in the error file.
http://www.chronology-guild.org/
guice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2002, 08:43 PM   #5
Terrancelee
A Fire Beetle

My question is, once you change code, how can you view it? I may be overlooking the obvious here, I don't know. Do you have to open up eq and load it, just to see how it will look? Or is there a way to view each mod individually? With all the mods out, I don't need to write my own, I will just hunt and peck through all that's there already. However, I might not want the whole package, but instead just one window here and there. I have what I like now, but I'd like to be able to compare, say two inventory windows, side by side out of game to see which I like better. Is this possible?

Thanks!
Terrancelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 01:41 AM   #6
guice
Keeper of the Hampster

Quote:
Do you have to open up eq and load it, just to see how it will look?

*cought*the obvious

And your second question should be answered really by the first.

Since you can only, for now, view/preview the UI within EQ, there is no way to look at two identical windows side by side.

Well, there "is", but that requires killing one window and making it also an INV window. Far too much work to even think about it.
Old 08-25-2002, 02:59 AM   #7
Lady Silver
A Wooly Rhino

Actually - as for viewing the windows side-by-side outside of EQ, do what I do whenever I'm making adjustments to one of my windows: in EQ, screenshot. I then open the screenshot in Photoshop (any graphics editor will do, of course), the crop the image down to the one window. Do it for the other screenshot, and now you have a view of both windows side by side. Or in your face if you're debating exaclty what adjustments you were wanting to make.

~Lady Silver
Lady Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 03:39 AM   #8
Nibbuhlz
A Hill Giant

Quote:
My question is, once you change code, how can you view it?

/rude EULA /hug ...

Last edited by guice : 08-25-2002 at 07:14 AM.
Nibbuhlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 07:13 AM   #9
guice
Keeper of the Hampster

hehe, screen shots work two. You can can both ui mods in two different directories and use /load <> 1 to load each of them.

I can't recall if /load <> 1 will also close the normally closed window or not (like INV).

But, using a screeny works well. Just screen shot each of your INV windows and you can view them side by side offline.

And .. Lets work on leaving out speak of that one program now. I think it's got enough say here, time to keep it's speak behind the scenes now.
It's not that I don't like it, it's that I'm trying to protect it. More speak of it means more poeple using it which means more VI might try to intentionally break it.
Old 01-04-2003, 08:28 PM   #10
zublin
A Gray Wolf

here is a program you can see what you have created and such
http://www.sidlwidl.com/downloads/sidlwidl0.2.9.zip

You NEED THE .NET FRAMEWORK FROM MICROSOFT or it will just crash on startup. You can download it here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads...ompositedoc.xml

Quote:
Originally posted by Nibbuhlz
/rude EULA /hug ...
zublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 09:13 PM   #11
Kelria
A Treant

Send a message via ICQ to Kelria Send a message via AIM to Kelria Send a message via Yahoo to Kelria

"Play with it and for gods sake, use your UIErrors.txt file! It's located right in your EverQuest directory. When you skin crashes EQ or fails to load, the error is always written into that file.
So many people ask questions here when their answers are located in the error file"

While this is a great file - unfortunately for those of us who are not familiar with scripts or any kind of html or anything - its still a bit confusing to figure out exactly what its saying.

But I am definitely going to download sidlwidl and i'll let you know how it works...

completely html/xml illiterate but very creative

OK Ill just add to this instead of creating another post -
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU so much Zublin

I downloaded those two programs you listed, went to http://home.triad.rr.com/slkerr/files/XML_T_1.htm and found out what to look for and how to use sidl and http://www.amaprotu.net/eqtypes.html to find out what i could change. i havent tried it yet but this is the most newbie information I have seen. Thank you so much!

Last edited by Kelria : 01-04-2003 at 09:37 PM.
Kelria is offline   Reply With Quote