Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > General Discussion > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Old 11-18-2003, 12:09 AM   #1
Taleisin

Default The day EQ changed

november 17th 2003 11:04PM central time,

3 guilds on the rallos zek server have awoken and killed the sleeper, a wizard whos name begins with a T got the kill shot. So what happens if the sleeper dies? no one knows yet, but remember the first line in the EQ2 lore states
"Five hundred years have passed since the Sleeper was awakened, and a turbulent new era has fallen upon Norrath."

Click on Image for full size image

Last edited by Kudane : 11-18-2003 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:19 AM   #2
metrosnowblind
A Crystal Gargoyle

Around 200 people over 3 guilds made this happen. No loot, no faction hits, no storyline text, just the respect of the 4500+ people following through chat channels and countless more who will learn of this feat tomorrow.
Terris-Thule
metrosnowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:32 AM   #3
Zantaklawz
Manaetic Prototype IX

Server: Bristlebane, The Nameless, Xegony, Veeshan, Firiona Vie, Vallon Zek, and Venril Sathir
Send a message via AIM to Zantaklawz Send a message via Yahoo to Zantaklawz

So evidently the death of the sleeper is yet another mob which hits the dust only to respawn later for another guild(s) to kill later. No biggie in my book. Too bad it doesn't make at least 'something' happen... oh I don't know... maybe an earthquake which would change the foundation of the continents. Ahhh that would be asking to much... I just wait till EQII is released after the beta in 1Q in 04... Till then...

Proud to be an at EQ Roleplayers! Join us and spread the word!

Come and sit for a while and listen to the Tales of Zantaklawz! Tell one! Tell all!
Zantaklawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:38 AM   #4
Taleisin

well it did do one thing, for the first time in 5 years the game virtually stood still no hunting, no camping, no XP grinding. almost ever just stood still waiting for news of what happens when he dies, what does he drop and other such questions.

also the sleeper never respawns once he has been awakened, win or lose, Rallos Zek is one of the last servers he had not been woken up on. as far as I know the UK server, Firiona vie, and the asian server have not woken the sleeper.

grats to everyone who fought the bastige :-)
Old 11-18-2003, 02:02 AM   #5
Profett
A Bat

Server: The Tribunal
Send a message via AIM to Profett Send a message via Yahoo to Profett
Default sleeper dead

I sat there for like 3 1/2 hours, from the first warder to Sleeper waiting for them to kill him. It was just intense sitting there hearing the HP updates, and how the battle was progressing.

I was on the phone with a RL friend of mine while he was fighting Kerafyrm, clerics had to practically chain rez.. as soon as you started attacking *blam* hit for 7k and dead again.

I was disspointed to hear that there was no loot, no serverwide announcement .. nothing. I heard that there was a faction hit but not sure what it was, he had too much battle spam to tell me if he got one or not. The post on eqlive.com about the Sleeper encounter was simply stupid as well, oh well.

The name of the wizard who got the killing blow was Trylun, a big congrats AD, Wudan, and MIM. You have the respect of thousands of players now, too bad the kill didn't have a more satisfying reward .. like some kinda Death Touch proccing sword.
We can always wish, eh.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:59 AM   #6
lokidecat
A Gray Wolf

Thumbs up

I suppose it was a big feat. But I had to shut off my ooc/auction/shout/guildsay just so I could get on with my game. It was being spammed up one side, down the other of every single zone. It got frustrating.

Congrats to the folks at Rallos who did it, however. As someone else told me, 'The King of all Zergs' was successful.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:31 AM   #7
Neiloch
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Tholuxe Paells

If I was one of the programmers for the velious expansion I wouldve given sleeper some ridiculous loot prolly, knowing he "couldn't" be killed at the time. Like a staff with 200int or a bracer with like 2khp. That wouldve been cool, or some kind of symbolic item that you can equip , like a staff with a huge dragon head that has no stats, just to show you killed it. Believe that wizard got a title out of it.

Otherwise I have to give this event my "Whoopty sh!t" award. About as impactive as if some guild killed the whole coldain city.

"Dont screw with someone with a lot of free time"
Neiloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 03:46 AM   #8
lokidecat
A Gray Wolf

Reminds me of the.. (can't recall correctly) 125 dmg 25dly sword Inte Akera had when they killed him. Some programmer gave it to him thinking no one could kill him.
lokidecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 07:01 AM   #9
Bikther
99% EVIL, 1% Cute Bunnies

Server: Innoruuk
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces

Has the death of te sleeper been confirmed with a screenshot...i am doubting that it has been killed but i have seen a few claims that turnout to be BS.

Also what does the posting on EQlive mean...did they get close to killing it then SOE yelled exploit and stopped them or what?
Bikther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 09:28 AM   #10
Togras
A Shissar Disciple

Server: Ayonae Ro

Proof positive that hydra rushes are effective, even outside of Starcraft!
Old 11-18-2003, 10:45 AM   #11
Firedrake
A Hill Giant

Edit: Quoted the wrong post :P

Quote:
Originally posted by Bikther
Has the death of te sleeper been confirmed with a screenshot...i am doubting that it has been killed but i have seen a few claims that turnout to be BS.

Also what does the posting on EQlive mean...did they get close to killing it then SOE yelled exploit and stopped them or what?

It was killed, there are some screenshots located in this thread at the mage compendium:
http://forum.magecompendium.com/tow...opic.php?t=9189

What happened was, 3 guilds came together the first time, to try, even though they figured they would probably not succeed. However, they ended up having enough clerics that they just chain rezzed tanks as they died (with pets, archers and unresistable spells doing the real damage). The sleeper ended up slowly losing HP while they were managing to keep a steady number of people up against sleeper. In any case, they got Sleeper down to 30% or so, and then it disappeared, which they assumed was due to GM intervention.

However, SOE concluded that it was a minor bug, fixed it, and respawned Sleepers zone, with sleeper, so they could try a second time. The second time, they did succeed, since no bug/gm interefered. There was no death message, no lore message, no loot, no script, etc...

Please someone correct me if any of my information was wrong.
Firedrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 11:31 AM   #12
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony

Firedrake your info is basically correct.. there was a bug with an NPC as Absor mentioned, and they ended the encounter. I knew they would fix the bug and let them take another swing at it.

.: Have a question? Read this :.
[ F.A.Q ]
Kudane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 11:47 AM   #13
Kudane
Co-Founder

Server: Xegony

Quote:
Originally posted by Zantaklawz
So evidently the death of the sleeper is yet another mob which hits the dust only to respawn later for another guild(s) to kill later. No biggie in my book. Too bad it doesn't make at least 'something' happen... oh I don't know... maybe an earthquake which would change the foundation of the continents. Ahhh that would be asking to much... I just wait till EQII is released after the beta in 1Q in 04... Till then...

it didnt respawn... it was FORCED reset (and inturn respawn) for the guilds that did it the first time, and had it removed. The sleeper (Karafymn) is a one time only per server mob.

Karafymn was never designed to actually be killed, soo it doesnt do anything, because they litterally did the impossible.

Imagine it kind of like Wil-E-Coyote catching Road-Runner... the one time he did, he shrugged and held up a sign that said "Now What?" hhehehe
Kudane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:06 PM   #14
t3t0ca19
A Snow Cougar

This is good, now the stage for eq2 is set, the one mob that could not be killed was killed!, Grats to the 3 guilds on RZ sever.... Hope it changes eq and eq2
t3t0ca19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 12:16 PM   #15
laertise
A Snow Griffin

Thats cool they killed him but it kinda sux there was no loot, he should have dropped something anything. Or maybe everyone who was part of the kill should have recieved a braclet with +15 to all stats and sv's or something.

Laertise
laertise is offline   Reply With Quote