Home Forum Downloads My Favorites Register FAQ

Go Back   EQInterface Forums > Developer Discussion > Graphics modification help.
User Name
Password

Old 10-15-2003, 05:24 PM   #1
Maginus
A Hill Giant

Server: Povar, Mayong
Interface Author - Click to view interfaces
Send a message via MSN to Maginus
Default Detailed Art, What program

I have been doing custom UI's since the new GUI came out. But I am curious how such artists make such detailed work such as T.King for exsample as well as a few others.
I mean I use PSP but I can't start from scratch on screen and make that kind of detail. I usualy have to do it on paper and scan it in. Is there a special program these people use to get that kind of work or are they just incredibly patient and work pixel by pixel?

Well if anyone knows of a nice program out there that does the shadowing and textures and stuff like that with a detailed tutorial please let me know I am eager to advance my skills.
Maginus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 08:07 PM   #2
Morpheaous
A Treant

heh, yea.. i'd like to find out if there's an easier way to do that much detail, and that realistic of artwork, without hand drawing it pixel by pixel. They are incredible.
Old 10-15-2003, 10:10 PM   #3
Dolby
Lord Dolby of Veeshan

Server: Veeshan

I use adobe photoshop. You can do pritty much anything you want in it and there are a tun of tutorials to show you how. It was expensive though.

I dont think there is any software out there where you can type "I want a cool graphic" and it will make you one. It takes talent to make something look good in any program. The more you read the many graphics tutorials that can be found with a simple google search the better you will get.
Dolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 11:46 PM   #4
Drakah
Skinning Guru

I know Tking uses 3D studio max and another one, dont remember the name of it. Maya I think. Hense, those prgs are like $3000 each

Drakah

shakahr.com
Remember...it is only a GAME
Drakah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 12:37 AM   #5
Dolby
Lord Dolby of Veeshan

Server: Veeshan

I used 3d studio max back in my school days... its not an easy program to use. Way too much money for me to buy just to fiddle with now. Heck even the student version of the software is expensive. I guess for a software tool they use in Hollywood special effects its cheap.
Dolby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 03:43 AM   #6
Andraax
A Hill Giant

Server: Antonius Byle

There are tons of good programs out there that are free.

PSP have a bad habbit of not doing just what you ask for some times, I personaly am lucky enough to be able to have work pay for my photoshop license, but I also use GIMP (got used to it since I use unix systems alot), and it is freeware. Basicaly, for pixle fiddling GIMP is the best program out there, photoshop don't have any realy good pixle editing capabilities.

For realy good quality graphics you'll have to put alot of time into learning the tools, be it 3D Max or Photoshop or any thing else, it all takes time to learn the tricks to get the result you are looking for.

If you can afford photoshop that would be the best starting program though, it can do just about anything you like, just just have to learn how to do it

Andraax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 07:01 AM   #7
Ladred
A Hill Giant

Server: Stormhammer
Send a message via ICQ to Ladred Send a message via AIM to Ladred Send a message via Yahoo to Ladred

There is a lot of good tutorials and graphics help over at Norraths Studios.

http://www.norrathsstudio.org/

Doll - Akyashaa, Base - Duktoonz
Ladred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 04:21 PM   #8
Maginus
A Hill Giant

Server: Povar, Mayong
Send a message via MSN to Maginus

Thank you all for your response, I use paintshop pro 6.02, and do pretty well with it, but it doesn't come with the tutorials so I can advance my skills. So the tutorials will be nice and hopefully help me advance thank you. I will also look into photoshop and gimp.

Guess my simple UI's
Maginus_StoneMelee
Maginus_StonePetCaster
Maginis_StoneMix

Aren't enough for me anymore I want to make something, well that might get me in the featured artist's section this time. It's a challenge but I like a challenge.
Maginus is offline   Reply With Quote